• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

RHB

I'm a Gnu, how do you do!⭐⭐
Staff member
Full page article on the back of the Echo today where Wordsworth states that he loves playing for Southend but that contract talks have stalled because he doesn't think he is being valued as high as he should be. No doubt the Echo will publish the article on here today some time and, for context, it is worth a read, but it wouldn't surprise me if Anthony is off when his contract is up. So, should we up our offer to keep him. or cut our loses and say bye bye?

Full Echo article now at post 36

Last edited:
let him go. He has collected more salary for watching from the stands than he has playing. he had an injury history before joining us and it just continues. If he wants the best deal possible on a pay to play basis then fair enough, but he will want the best deal for him and that may not be the best deal for us. I rate him but he seldom makes an appearance on the match ratings thread.

Maybe these are his "personal issues" which mean he is not available for selection. Negotiating a new contract through the press won't go down well with Mr Brown. Our results when he is not playing are awful though.

Maybe these are his "personal issues" which mean he is not available for selection.

Yep, good spot. Makes a lot of sense.

I'm guessing paying some players more than others is at the root of this sort of thing. Often can be at other clubs.

When yo work out what he has been paid per game, he must be highly valued.

As good as Wordsworth is we need players who can play 90% of the season.

The recruitment this season was woeful. A total aged and crocked team.

We need to start using our youth and signing players under 30.

Great player on his day, but his day does not come often enough. He best find a club who can offord him sitting in the stand for half a season.

He has only played an average of 20 games a season for the last 5 ​years! We do take some risks.

Mind you he did sign before Cox, Fortune, Ferdinand, Kightly and Turner and they must all talk about what they get paid and what Lenny has been offered.

He is a top quality player , and the stats prove we miss him when he's not playing. Without him our midfield lacks attacking quality, and our set pieces dont look dangerous.

Yes we all know his injury issues , but thats why we should have managed him better. When he got the calf injury a few weeks ago he needed to be taken off and rested , but probably due to Brown's scathing viewpoint on any player who goes off injured , Woody limped on and consequently compounded the injury.

Give him another 2 year deal as if we do reach the Championship , we will need players like Wordsworth in it .

Some "fans" are quick to slag off Wordsworth's workrate but i'd like to bet that he is one of the top 5 in our squad for ground covered during games. If the club release the stats for the top 5 then fans would appreciate their workmanship --- but obviously dont release the stats for the least ground covered as it would embarrass our almighty captain too much.

It's a tough one. On his day he is fantastic. Normally, when he plays well, the whole team plays well. When he is poor he is awful. The constant injuries are a concern and always have been.

As good as Wordsworth is we need players who can play 90% of the season.

The recruitment this season was woeful. A total aged and crocked team.

We need to start using our youth and signing players under 30.

That's is and will always be our problem. If they are good like Lenny or Payne we will lose them. If they are good honest value for money pros like Atkinson then fans aren't impressed.

So we have to take some sort of gamble if you are trying to punch above your weight, age or injury record.

Everyone would like a Ricky Holmes in their mid-field. The reason he is still at Charlton.......£9,000 per week. Yes we were interested when he was on his way up but Portsmouth offered a much better deal.

Only midfield player we have with both a goal threat and creativity.
IMO this is a very rare commodity at our level and we should do what we can ( within budget) to keep him.
Lenny is more important to the side , but even he does not have that ‘difference’ that Wordsworth brings.

Maybe these are his "personal issues" which mean he is not available for selection. Negotiating a new contract through the press won't go down well with Mr Brown. Our results when he is not playing are awful though.

From what I was told this is 100% not the case and his personal issues are real issues that we should respect as being personal.

Mindyou he did sign before Cox, Fortune, Ferdinand, Kightly and Turner and theymust all talk about what they get paid and what Lenny has been offered.

I did also hear that this was a cause of some unrest in the dressing room.

Anyway, back to Wordsworth - I really like him and on his day then he is a real match winner and we don't have many, if any, others that I could say that about.

Personally I would try really hard to keep him and meet somewhere in the middle with generous bonuses based upon games played in addition to goal and assist bonuses - it would then be up to Wordsworth to decide how likely he is to be regularly available for selection or he may do a Barry Corr and leave.

From what I was told this is 100% not the case and his personal issues are real issues that we should respect as being personal.

Yep, totally agree.

ALL of Wordy's personal issues should be kept out of the newspapers!

How many times have you said to your employer at pay review time "thanks for my wages, nah, of course I don't want to earn any more " ??

For those in the Public sector, we get told by our employer we won't be getting any more so no need for a review or any thanks for that matter.

Back