• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

cluniemore

The Wee Birdie
A wee birdie told me that the gaffer has been busy talking to players agents and clubs. He has a wish list that he is working hard to bring to the club. His aim is to fill certain positions and at same time work hard at keeping in budget. The preseason friendlies have been finalised and will be made public shortly plus several tours are being priced as we type the tour week will be between in most cases week beginning Monday the 25th of june varying in number of days dependent on tour chosen ,one tour could be different dates but should give you clearer picture early next week. The gaffer would like to thank the astounding amount of mail from fans thanking and looking forward to the challenge ahead can assure you it is appreciated.

A wee birdie told me that the gaffer has been busy talking to players agents and clubs. He has a wish list that he is working hard to bring to the club. His aim is to fill certain positions and at same time work hard at keeping in budget. The preseason friendlies have been finalised and will be made public shortly plus several tours are being priced as we type the tour week will be between in most cases week beginning Monday the 25th of june varying in number of days dependent on tour chosen ,one tour could be different dates but should give you clearer picture early next week. The gaffer would like to thank the astounding amount of mail from fans thanking and looking forward to the challenge ahead can assure you it is appreciated.
Well please do not be too upset at the absence of my thank you letter. Expectation may not have been too high before the start of last season but boy PS you blew it from the position we found ourselves in, having been top for so long. I heard the occasional admittance that you made tactical errors in certain matches but mostly you blamed the players, ill-discipline, floodlights and 'uncle tom cobley an' all.' I recognise the effort you put in and the improvement of our team from the previous season but the one point failure was too hard to accept after so many abject tactical blunders that lost us key games from strong positions. Hold your hands up PS and accept the responsibility for failure and i will respect you more. If you prove me wrong this season and take us up I owe you one hell of a bottle of scotch but I fear if you persist with that poor excuse for what you call football performances then we are staying yet again in this basement division and would deserve no better. UTB

Thought pre-season training didn't start until the 9th July?

If we bring in the right sort of strikers comfortable with playing the way we do then i'm happy. We cant have the ball played high in the air to players like benyon and expect to win the ball and bring the midfield into the game. Please bring in some massive lump up front to do the bis. Also, two tough mothers in central midfield would go down nicely, thanks.

I love the way a simple message from the hierarchy is jumped on and torn apart.

Yea was going to post the same... its sad that people do that as its nice to have a bit of insight.

Last season is gone, I'm about over the play-off loss and now looking forward to seeing who stays and goes and getting underway in August again! :thumbsup:

nowknownasdrab is entitled to his opinion.

Agreed - but these opinions are well stated on other threads - it would be nice to have a thread that remains positive - and what better thread to use than one started , by trying to keep the fans in the loop !!

Agreed - but these opinions are well stated on other threads - it would be nice to have a thread that remains positive - and what better thread to use than one started , by trying to keep the fans in the loop !!

Well said. A little positivity around here would be nice.

If we bring in the right sort of strikers comfortable with playing the way we do then i'm happy. We cant have the ball played high in the air to players like benyon and expect to win the ball and bring the midfield into the game. Please bring in some massive lump up front to do the bis. Also, two tough mothers in central midfield would go down nicely, thanks.

Lord help us no.

Please do the opposite to this, bring in players who are comfortable on the ball so that we can utilise strikers under 6 foot 5.

We showed towards the end of the season we can play football on the floor when we want, please build on that.

Lord help us no.

Please do the opposite to this, bring in players who are comfortable on the ball so that we can utilise strikers under 6 foot 5.

We showed towards the end of the season we can play football on the floor when we want, please build on that.
100% agree. We have to play football on the floor at home as have been proved the last five games at the end of the season. As for away games we should play it on the floor, unless the conditions are not suitable or we feel it would be more beneficial to do otherwise. At home it is essential to entertain and on the floor we seem to accumulate more points by doing so. Away from home I am more happy to substitute style for more points on occasions.

Lord help us no.

We'd actually play more football if we had a 6 foot 5 forward. The reason you want a target man forward is to hold the ball up which creates the platform needed to play football from. You don't want Mark Phillips (our player of the season) ****ing around with it at the back because he's not very good at that. If you have a good target man you only have one "hoof" (which is actually a long directed pass) and you then play football from there. The problem with our football has been the lack of someone able to get the ball down. A good targetman - and if only our fans hadn't hounded out Matt Harrold, who'd have been ideal - actually gets you playing football.

Bad football comes from not being able to hold the ball up, which means the ball keeps on coming back to be hit long. If the ball sticks, you no longer hit it long. This is why nobody complains about how awful the football was under Dave Webb because Benji was amazing at bringing down the long ball and we played from there. This is why Sir Steve Tilson of Passing Football signed an inordinate number of targetmen - Revell, Harrold, Foran, Goater, Clarke etc etc etc. THE BETTER YOU HOLD THE BALL UP, THE MORE PASSING FOOTBALL YOU PLAY.

Well please do not be too upset at the absence of my thank you letter. Expectation may not have been too high before the start of last season but boy PS you blew it from the position we found ourselves in, having been top for so long. I heard the occasional admittance that you made tactical errors in certain matches but mostly you blamed the players, ill-discipline, floodlights and 'uncle tom cobley an' all.' I recognise the effort you put in and the improvement of our team from the previous season but the one point failure was too hard to accept after so many abject tactical blunders that lost us key games from strong positions. Hold your hands up PS and accept the responsibility for failure and i will respect you more. If you prove me wrong this season and take us up I owe you one hell of a bottle of scotch but I fear if you persist with that poor excuse for what you call football performances then we are staying yet again in this basement division and would deserve no better. UTB

Dear Cluniemore,

This man speaks for all right thinking, decent Southend fans! As a foreign heathen from the frozen North you will nothing of our proud tradition of playing Brazil-like football and attracting galacticos from as far afield as Wakering, Pitsea and even Canvey Island. We don't want to see cautious, defensive rubbish but swash buckling attack at all times. We DEMAND that we are amongst the top two highest scoring sides in the league...er...oh...hang on..I forgot...oh Well what we want is an experienced manager who has a track record of wining promotions from lower leagues ...oh ... damn....it's happened again...er...well anyway WHAT DO WANT? SOMETHING ELSE! WHEN DO WE WANT IT? NOT SURE.

Back