• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Work dilemma

What should I do?

• They're mugging you off Jonny - just get out of there and sue them for the money

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They're mugging you off Jonny - only one thing for it: strike!

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • They're mugging you off Jonny - but sit tight, it'll work itself out

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Jonny you're a mug

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Ask Rusty

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters

Jonny_Stokes

Sir Jonny Of Promotionshire
Not been paid yet this month (second month out of three that it's been late). No warning given that it was going to happen; no apology that it has and no explanation as to why. Spoken to Nationwide and they say that there's no payment pending, so it isn't even being processed.

As far as I'm aware, they've no intention of getting rid of me - in fact I've already been promoted and had a pay rise since I've been there.

I've complained to my line manager and the accounts department. The former doesn't blame me for being hacked off but just wants me to sit tight until it's sorted, the latter claims that I've been paid, which is patently untrue.

I'm not currently in a position where the money is 'needed', per se - it's a complete matter of principle. Unusually, for Mr Cocky-know-it-all-Orient-fan I'm at a bit of a loss to be honest. So, SZers, what should I do?

Last edited:
speak to line manager again, then send email to them, ccing accounts department. leave a paper trail and stress urgency.

if still no resolution, go further up the chain and ask for interest to be paid. also stress that if it happens again you will take them to court for breach of contract.

speak to line manager again, then send email to them, ccing accounts department. leave a paper trail and stress urgency.

if still no resolution, go further up the chain and ask for interest to be paid. also stress that if it happens again you will take them to court for breach of contract.

I'm not the brightest mind on the zone mate but that was what i was going to say. Make sure you put it in writing, that way you can show them when you asked and they can't deny it. This is even more important if they are telling porkies already

Ask the person who authorises the wages why you have not been paid. Should be fairly straightforward.

Yes they are mugging you off - speak to a solicitor quickly and make a written request for immediate payment. If they're about to go bust you may then be further up the list of creditors than if you just leave it......

This happened to me when I worked at the sponge factory many years ago.

The bank made an error with the automated bank transfer and the staff were not paid for a week.

The owner made the bank manager write a letter explaining the situation and sent a copy to each employee.

If I was you I would watch a couple of Danny Dyer films and 'have a word' with the 'slag/mug/muppet' that is 'mugging you off'

Yes they are mugging you off - speak to a solicitor quickly and make a written request for immediate payment. If they're about to go bust you may then be further up the list of creditors than if you just leave it......

They are nowhere near going bust. Record turnover last month, owned by a billionaire, and 90% of the staff have been paid. I seem to find myself in the 10%.

I have already sent (unanswered) emails to accounts and my line manager.

I haven't yet made an official demand for payment.

As you have a contractually duty to turn up and work, they have a contractual duty to pay you on time.

Rather than emailing put it in writing properly, they're taking advantage and although one month you could maybe accept it was a blip, a second month is not acceptable. Do you have a contract which covers when wages should be paid? If so, then make noises, as DS says take legal advice, and make sure you keep copies of everything.

Not been paid yet this month (second month out of three that it's been late). No warning given that it was going to happen; no apology that it has and no explanation as to why. Spoken to Nationwide and they say that there's no payment pending, so it isn't even being processed.

As far as I'm aware, they've no intention of getting rid of me - in fact I've already been promoted and had a pay rise since I've been there.

I've complained to my line manager and the accounts department. The former doesn't blame me for being hacked off but just wants me to sit tight until it's sorted, the latter claims that I've been paid, which is patently untrue.

I'm not currently in a position where the money is 'needed', per se - it's a complete matter of principle. Unusually, for Mr Cocky-know-it-all-Orient-fan I'm at a bit of a loss to be honest. So, SZers, what should I do?

Do you play for Hearts?

Rather than emailing put it in writing properly, they're taking advantage and although one month you could maybe accept it was a blip, a second month is not acceptable. Do you have a contract which covers when wages should be paid? If so, then make noises, as DS says take legal advice, and make sure you keep copies of everything.

Yes, I have a properly-worded contract which they are currently in breach of. Think I'll take legal advice tomorrow if it doesn't get sorted today.

Do you play for Hearts?

No, but my great grandad did. :)

I'd tell them that's what you're doing as well, if they're clearly in breach of contract then they can't possibly complain. Union backing?

As soon as your employer starts to pay you late it is time to start job hunting.

Billionaire owners are billionaires because they look after their money and don't pour good money after bad. A record turnover doesn't necessarily mean all that much as it is only relative to the company's record. Even if the company doesn't yet have financial problems if they are so badly run that they **** up your salary two months out of three, I'd suggest it is only a matter of time before they run into financial difficulties. Start looking elsewhere.

Back