• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Work On The New Training Ground Has Started Today 11th July 2022

Nope, Ron will, the club won’t see a penny from any of the houses or apartments built, all profits goes to the Martin family, not SUFC and we’ll be charged a nice big fat rent for playing in the middle of that housing estate
I'm not to concerned about Martin owning the apartments (he can have them for all I care) what I don't want to happen is him owning the stadium or training facilities, this wouldn't be good for the club interms of having to pay out rent to him annually which could result in financial issues down the line even when Martin isn't the owner anymore.

We need this man gone completely to move on otherwise we just keep rotting in my opinion.

I'm not to concerned about Martin owning the apartments (he can have them for all I care) what I don't want to happen is him owning the stadium or training facilities, this wouldn't be good for the club interms of having to pay out rent to him annually which could result in financial issues down the line even when Martin isn't the owner anymore.

We need this man gone completely to move on otherwise we just keep rotting in my opinion.
Think you’ll find he will own the stadium and training ground, not the club. We will be charged rent to train and play there by Ron

As mentioned in the article the hotel bit was really dead since 2020. Since then the plan was to get planning and then swap hotel (a loss making hotel not being overly attractive as a revenue stream) for housing. So no surprise.
The functions bit from the hotel being retained is good and the revenues generated at say Gillingham (with lesser facilities and also no hotel), and the remarks on this by Tom, should give confidence that the new corporate and hospitality facilities should still make a strong contribution to the required future financial stability.
However, this all said those who want it all to fail will still seek anything to say that it will be so.
Others for who the glass is half full will seek the opposite….
Is this the same Gillingham who are just above the relegation zone of League 2 and also have big financial issues? Wow what a great club to model ourselves on.

Is this the same Gillingham who are just above the relegation zone of League 2 and also have big financial issues? Wow what a great club to model ourselves on.
No purely as a source of estimating potential corporate/hospitality revenues. Although I thank you for proving my point :-)

Think you’ll find he will own the stadium and training ground, not the club. We will be charged rent to train and play there by Ron
Ron has said he is open to selling ground & training ground as well. However, the preferred buyer might not have deep enough pockets and hence leasing ground & training ground may be also what any buyer wants.

Just needs a buyer with deep enough pockets and there is no reason why this can’t happen. In a way I want this- emotionally at least. Thing is it depends who the buyer is. Wrong buyer and not just club but stadium at risk if they turn out to be a la Bury. If the stadium is owned by someone else they can only crash the club but the stadium is still there for the next owner?

That could be problem..... though you would thought any new potential owner would just buy the club and its facilities outright.

That could be problem..... though you would thought any new potential owner would just buy the club and its facilities outright.
Easy to say but a typical stadium of this size will probably have a value in the £25-30m range. So deep pockets and you would want enough left over to buy the club, invest in the team etc. But pure speculation because at this point the parade of potential buyers is unknown.

No purely as a source of estimating potential corporate/hospitality revenues. Although I thank you for proving my point :-)
You really think a banqueting suite is going to be the answer to all to our financial issues in the future? **** me it amazes me that Ron’s completely ****ed the club over with the stadium development and yet some fans still think the future is looking brighter for the club!!

You really think a banqueting suite is going to be the answer to all to our financial issues in the future? **** me it amazes me that Ron’s completely ****ed the club over with the stadium development and yet some fans still think the future is looking brighter for the club!!
To be fair, you'd be very surprised at how much these types of venues and facilities get used so you may be overreacting a little on that one. As long as they are an attractive prospect, you'll get bookings no matter what, a good example is the Holiday Inn at the airport, those facilities get used all year round and it's surprising how many bookings and events they actually hold there - yes the hotel aspect comes in hand-in-hand but just a small example.

Easy to say but a typical stadium of this size will probably have a value in the £25-30m range. So deep pockets and you would want enough left over to buy the club, invest in the team etc. But pure speculation because at this point the parade of potential buyers is unknown.
In an ideal world I would like to see the club own the stadium/training ground but can't really see that happening so second best option is for the new owner with deep pockets as such to buy not just the club but the facilities to. I could be wrong here but aren't Oxford looking to move due to not owning there own stadium and having to pay rent on it to previous owner, I'm sure that stadium is only 20 years old. We really don't want that to be us.

To be fair, you'd be very surprised at how much these types of venues and facilities get used so you may be overreacting a little on that one. As long as they are an attractive prospect, you'll get bookings no matter what, a good example is the Holiday Inn at the airport, those facilities get used all year round and it's surprising how many bookings and events they actually hold there - yes the hotel aspect comes in hand-in-hand but just a small example.
Quite, the Park Inn Palace Hotel is another that is always very well used.

Strangely, for a city this size there are a surprisingly small number of venues that can handle much more than 200-250 people seated or a function. There is a definite hole in the market.

……. “including the ballroom, this overlooks the pitch and can seat circa 1,000 people on match days.”

I must be misreading this from RM. Does it mean our new ballroom will be built on a slope - rather a novel unique idea - or will all those seated watching the match be given free periscopes to see over the top of those seated in front of them?

It won't get nearly as many bookings as it would without a hotel for people to crash at.

thats where his son comes in. When he goes he will pass the club onto his son who will then own everything. No offence but I wish more fans saw this. And those who have come to supposedly help would speak up but I guess a pay check keeps people quiet.

Having just finished at training course at New York stadium, (not in new York City, it's in Rotherham), there is definitely potential for a decent amount of money to be made just by having a modern room with adequate presentation facilities in it.

In fact the club are likely to earn more from this than they would be if they were paying out the franchise for a hotel.

Besides does no-one expect for some of the apartments to quickly become airbnb's?

Yes complete and utter tosh. Doesn't anyone bother to read the council reports or decisions. It was all covered and if I remember correctly the Jones's trust got some money due to the loss of land to get extra lanes at the roundabout and the pathway from Sutton Road to the ground. None of this effected the pitches at Victory Sports Ground and Jones's Memorial Park

Yes complete and utter tosh. Doesn't anyone bother to read the council reports or decisions. It was all covered and if I remember correctly the Jones's trust got some money due to the loss of land to get extra lanes at the roundabout and the pathway from Sutton Road to the ground. None of this effected the pitches at Victory Sports Ground and Jones's Memorial Park

You are quite correct.
It seems some people need to read the Council reports and minutes.

1. This particular item, the easement covering the access on the strip of land at the back of Jones Memorial is currently the access to the car parking and does not impact on the playing field area and is actually not within the curtilage of the area gifted by the Jones family.
2. The area of the Memorial Ground, a separate piece of land to the Jones Memorial ground, ownership of which transferred from the Council to Cecil Jones School and it's successor academies through it being given as the playing fields of the old Wentworth School, The academy no longer uses these fields, I believe they were last used by outside renters in 2015, and has sold on to invest in updating sports provision on the Cecil Jones site which they will be able to make better use of.

Both of these were discussed at some length during the Full Council meeting on 20th December 2020, a meeting which was broadcast live and which I know was viewed by many on here; it was the infamous one with the Councillor drinking Guinness with a suit of armour in the background while his cat climbed his Xmas tree just to make it stick in the mind :Whistling: :Smile:
This is news that is just over 21 months old...
The minutes and papers will have been in the public domain since that meeting...

I know Shoeburyness is a couple of miles to the east but I would have thought the carrier pigeons would have made it down there well before now. :Winking:

Having said that, without being too disparaging, in my experience of being a Councillor, it wouldn't be the first time that a Councillor or representative of a community organisation has either not read the papers or fully understood what they are reading...

Back