• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Uncle Leo

This cook is an anti-semite
Deserving of its own thread now I think.

I'll kick things off by saying I've backed Uruguay at 50/1. I don't think they will win it but they are slightly overpriced and could be a good trading opportunity.

Can't wait for all the "Belgium are my dark horse for the World Cup" articles from pillocks like Lovejoy in May. They're a team of European superstars, tipping them to win doesn't make you an insightful seer. I do think they couldn't have asked for a better time to blossom though. They won't win and, with the tournament in Brazil, nobody will expect them to. This can be a learning experience for what's a young squad ahead of the European Championships in France in 2016, for which they'll be amongst the favourites.

I actually think France are looking pretty good at the moment. They've overcome a pretty shocking start to the qualification campaign and are in good form with some big game players in their ranks. Another team that won't win, but I'd fancy them to surprise a few people and get to the semis. If they qualify for the tournament, of course.

I'm really not sold on Brazil, I think it's come two years too soon for them. Neymar's obviously the standout player, but it's hugely telling that he's also their second most-capped international behind Dani Alves at only 21 years of age. It's a mammoth stage and the weight of expectation is enormous. Looking forward to seeing Bernard if he makes the team, he's had a great start at Shakhtar.

Difficult to make any bold claim before the draw has been made, but I do think Argentina will make the final. It'll be hard to live with a strike force that contains Messi, Higuain, Aguero and that thing that was in Manchester for a bit.

Sensible posting as always ESB. I think that if a South American team doesn't win it, then it'll be Germany. I think Spain aren't as strong as previously and other teams have added real strength and power which Spain will struggle with. Belgium have a clutch of excellent players, and a couple of world class ones. Like England, I don't think they'll win, but it's a good platform for them (and us).

The Belgium call would have been smart a couple of years ago (God knows it's not one I made).

Now everyone is talking about them and they're no longer dark horses, just horses.

The Belgium call would have been smart a couple of years ago (God knows it's not one I made).

Now everyone is talking about them and they're no longer dark horses, just horses.

Hipster horses.

What are the odds?

Odds on, he just said he was going to do it didnt he? Hardly going to lie about it. :smile:

Hard to see one of the European nations winning it to be honest and if one was going to do ok its hard to look past Spain.

Apparently, Roy is more worried about what stadium we might have to play our group matches in, rather the quality of the oppostion.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/dec/02/england-roy-hodgson-world-cup-draw

It's a fair point he is making. If the conditions sway the game in favour of the other team, then it doesn't matter who we play. IIRC Argentina got smashed away from home after playing somewhere that was at a high altitude against a pretty poor team.

Quick Google search - http://www.worldcupblog.org/world-f...e-of-high-altitude-bolivia-6-argentina-1.html

Argentina lost 6-1 to Bolivia.

World football's governing body had the option of naming France, the lowest-ranked European nation, in Pot Two but decided instead that the one European team should be drawn at random.

The French president of Uefa, Michel Platini, expected to rival Sepp Blatter, the incumbent, for the Fifa presidency in 2015, is believed to have been the driving force behind that decision

Corrupt? Oui monsieur! Tres corrupt innit.

Back