• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

World Cup 2018

Hoddle had some sensible things to say about how England were playing in the first half and also how the Nigeria formation changed and England didn't counter it; it is a shame Hoddle is still considered too toxic to use by the FA as he could help Southgate with his ideas.
Agree. I remain convinced that England would have won a major tournament had Hoddle stayed in charge, particularly working with the so-called 'golden generation'. Tactically he's probably the best manager England have had - in my lifetime anyway - and as soon as he went and Kevin 'the people's choice' Keegan arrived suddenly England were no longer playing attractive proper possession-based football but were back at the rigid 4-4-2 kick-and-rush worst.

Just a shame that GH is - or at least was - a bit of a nut job away from the pitch. Southgate, of course, played under Hoddle and has been part of the set-up for several years so hopefully he'll have a decent enough idea about how to get the best out of what he's got available.

Watching that England game I was reminded of our old pal Sven-Goran Eriksson. "First half good, second half not so good". My only beef with an otherwise excellent first period was that we weren't very clinical; given our dominance, the game should have been put to bed.

Frustrating also that Sterling got that silly booking; I abhor the way certain tabloid papers have targeted him, but getting carded for diving only gives them more ammo. Stay on your feet and beat the opposition with skill Raheem.

Watching that England game I was reminded of our old pal Sven-Goran Eriksson. "First half good, second half not so good". My only beef with an otherwise excellent first period was that we weren't very clinical; given our dominance, the game should have been put to bed.

Frustrating also that Sterling got that silly booking; I abhor the way certain tabloid papers have targeted him, but getting carded for diving only gives them more ammo. Stay on your feet and beat the opposition with skill Raheem.

Yes that was stupid,though ultimately his poor goal scoring record (for England) will probably do for him.Let's see what he can produce on Thursday.

I like and I always have , Back Home by the 1970 World Cup squad .:smile:

The good news for England was that Costa Rica are presumably a much better team than Panama.That and Rashford's wonderful goal ,which has surely guaranteed him a starting place in the WC line up against Tunisia,ahead of Sterling.The bad news is that we still struggle to break down (so-called) inferior sides.Inevitably, that will cost us in Russia.

We’ve beaten Nigeria and Costa Rica. I don’t know about anyone else but I think after those results the lads have one hand on the trophy. It’s in the bag!

Another reasonable performance and a squad that looks tohave a good hard working balance while short of star turns. Delph had never impressed me before but he played well tonight, as did Maguire: I mention these two as they are lesser seen players for me.

england-are-12-1-for-the-world-cup-for-those-who-24162653.png

The last two friendlies out of the way and two World cup finalists beaten, 4 goals for 1 against. If we were talking Southend then I would be very happy if we won our last two friendlies before the season against pretty reasonable opposition. It's very fashionable today to do down our World cup chances but I'm still an optimist, me. They say that if England get through their group then the squad gets stronger, we shall see. But I do really feel that we will get out of the group and then all we can do is wait and see.

As for stand outs last night, no one really blew me away, but Rashford must start next to Kane for me with Danny Rose sealing the left wing back role. Henderson still doesn't inspire me and the centre back positions are still up for grabs. Maguire may become the main man as I though he looked very solid. Anyway, that's down to Mr Southgate to sort. I hope he's been giving the squad penalty taking tips, we could be in that situation in this tournament. We will be hard to beat but we maybe lack the little bit of magical inspiration that gets fans out of their seats. Deli Ali has the ability to do that when he's in the mood, I just hope that mood is happening now.

You know I think we'll give a go. We won't win it but I can see a positive campaign compared to the recent debacles of recent major tournaments.

Last night's game was similar to the Nigeria one, bright first half and then a flatter second half disrupted by lots of substitutions. Some encouraging signs from England but I still think we look prone to errors at the back which better teams will punish.

Southgate still has some key decisions to make. Sterling is probably our best player after Kane but I'm not sure he fits into this 3-5-2 system. Rashford has shown that he's maybe the better option in the number 10 role. I'd have Cahill alongside Maguire and Stones in the back three as he offers experience and threat from set-pieces but Southgate seems to have his heart set on playing Walker as a centre-back, which seems a waste to me. I think the midfield places are still open to debate too. Henderson and Loftus-Cheek did themselves no harm last night.

Another thing: the atmosphere at Elland Road was 10 times better than it ever is at Wembley. This potential sale of Wembley could be a good thing.

You know I think we'll give a go. We won't win it but I can see a positive campaign compared to the recent debacles of recent major tournaments.

I agree. Let's enjoy the ride. One or two memories that we'll be able to look back in years to come, having a go rather than meekly surrendering - I'm happy enough with that.

I agree. Let's enjoy the ride. One or two memories that we'll be able to look back in years to come, having a go rather than meekly surrendering - I'm happy enough with that.
Indeed. This young squad fills me with hope for the next 2 tournaments, so let's hope they have a really good one, and that they come away with lots of positives to build on.

I’m quite excited about this World Cup. I still think Delle Ali is going to get sent off in the quarter-finals but it’ll be one of those heroic defeat exits and we haven’t had one of those for a while.

Had a look at England's first oppostion Tunisia in their game against Spain last night.Bad news for England is that Spain took 86 minutes to break them down before winning 1-0.Tunisia were clearly trying for a 0-0 draw and to nick a goal on the break as presumably they'll do against England.Spain clearly had next week's first WC game against Portugal on their minds.Good news for England,IMO,is that Kane or Rashford should score against Tunisia.

Yeah very strange that. I wonder if that will effect them or spur them on.

I believe the fans choice to take over the helm was Luis Enrique, but they gave the job to the relatively in experienced Fernando Hierro instead.

Edit: Ignore me, I've just seen the other thread on this topic.

Back