• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

World Cup 2022

Uncle Leo

This cook is an anti-semite
To the surprise of almost exactly no-one, it has been announced that the 2022 World Cup now won't be held in June/July.

FIFA and the big clubs set for a big row over this...

Early indications that it will be held somewhere between mid November 2021 and mid January 2022. That will go down wonderfully well with the G14, right in the middle of the Champions League.

Early indications that it will be held somewhere between mid November 2021 and mid January 2022. That will go down wonderfully well with the G14, right in the middle of the Champions League.

The CAF will be pleased too, having moved the CAN to odd-numbered years to compensate for the World Cup only for FIFA to then move the 2022 World Cup to within a month of its start date.

European teams with a Champions League pedigree should tell FIFA that they won't take part. A World Cup without England/Germany/Spain/Italy/Holland et al will be a sorry affair.

Danny Baker ‏@prodnose
FIFA also announce that to further accommodate Qatar's money, er, human rights record the 2022 World Cup will now be held in the year 1526.

Seems Valcke might've actually spoken out of turn, as FIFA VP Jim Boyce says no decision has been made and won't be until March 2015...

The mess continues. According to SSN...

"FIFA vice president Jim Boyce shocked by Valcke [FIFA Sec Gen] statement as decision yet to be made by FIFA executive committee"

European teams with a Champions League pedigree should tell FIFA that they won't take part. A World Cup without England/Germany/Spain/Italy/Holland et al will be a sorry affair.

Completely agree with this.

Will either force them to take it away from Qatar, or have a waste of a tournament.

Absolute joke this is.

Ignoring the fact that without World Cup-related revenue, most FAs would be bankrupted.

Ignoring the fact that without World Cup-related revenue, most FAs would be bankrupted.

Really, so how do the 177 Football Associations that don't qualify for the World Cup survive every tournament? Surely the Scottish FA should no longer be in existence?

As for the qualifying matches, most nations could quite easily arrange friendlies, or mini tournaments such as home nations (England/Scot/N.Ire/Wales) (Germ/Belgium/Holland/France) (Croatia/Serbia/Monte/Bosnia) (Sweden/Denmark/Finland/Norway) etc etc; to generate enough interest to cover two years worth of revenue, with the added benefit of Sepp not taking his piece of the pie.

The World Cup and FIFA have been "past it" for years and not relevant to modern real football. As a fan I have only been slightly interested in the England side for at least the last 20yrs. It is time International football changed; and time Prem & top Euro sides changed too. The whole idea of national representation is devalued by having players who have passports of choice, play outside their leaues, and for clubs with owners for whom the money and kudos are the driving factors. I have booked my holidays for the World Cup and doubt I will watch much of Brazil & if Qutar clashes with Div1 or 2 league footie I won't be watching much of that world cup too.

The World Cup and FIFA have been "past it" for years and not relevant to modern real football. As a fan I have only been slightly interested in the England side for at least the last 20yrs. It is time International football changed; and time Prem & top Euro sides changed too. The whole idea of national representation is devalued by having players who have passports of choice, play outside their leaues, and for clubs with owners for whom the money and kudos are the driving factors. I have booked my holidays for the World Cup and doubt I will watch much of Brazil & if Qutar clashes with Div1 or 2 league footie I won't be watching much of that world cup too.

Can't be having that. FIFA are a rotten bunch but the World Cup is the absolute best. The number of 'passport' players is still only a small percentage of the total and I'm not going to let the fact that Diego Costa will be playing for Spain spoil my enjoyment.

Wallchart is already up in the kids' room and I can't wait. if you're bored of the World Cup, you're bored of football.

Really, so how do the 177 Football Associations that don't qualify for the World Cup survive every tournament? Surely the Scottish FA should no longer be in existence?

As for the qualifying matches, most nations could quite easily arrange friendlies, or mini tournaments such as home nations (England/Scot/N.Ire/Wales) (Germ/Belgium/Holland/France) (Croatia/Serbia/Monte/Bosnia) (Sweden/Denmark/Finland/Norway) etc etc; to generate enough interest to cover two years worth of revenue, with the added benefit of Sepp not taking his piece of the pie.

Do you really need to ask that? Do you think the Scottish FA have the same spending as the English FA do?

Countries like England, Spain and Germany can budget for income from tournaments like the World Cup and Euros because they have a high chance of getting there. While Scotland and Wales can't do that so they won't budget with income from that.

A bit like saying how can 88 professional football clubs in England survive without money from the Champions League every year.

Do all 177 nations that don't qualify budget in the same way as countries expectant of World Cup football every four years do?

Back