• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

World Cup 2026 to feature 48 teams

Beefy

Life President
Looks like this has been voted through and is official. It looks like there will be 16 Groups of Three in the first round. Draws will be settled by penalties.

Top two in each group go through to a 32 team knock-out round. So there's one extra knock-out game and a reduced group stage.

I'm pretty certain that the reaction here will be along the lines of the negativity already being seen in the media and social media however I think I'm supportive of the change. 32 teams isn't a magic number and with just 13(?) European qualification places under the current format it underlines that for most teams you can't currently take qualification for granted. Euro 2016 was a horrible tournament but that was a textbook example of how not to handle a tournament expansion in that they took the safest decisions possible in how it was structured resulting in two weeks of dull group games before anything really happened.

Being English and therefore bitterly opposed to any change I don't like penalties to decide drawn matches but pragmatically it does resolve the main problem with the three team groups which was a format that encouraged negative football. With no draws allowed you've a short group stage with little or no margin for error and then you're straight into the meat of the tournament.

I don't think I'm for or against at the moment, but one thing that strikes me as odd is that with 48 teams qualifying for the finals, about 1/4 of the world will qualify.

It's not really a finals any more.

I don't think I'm for or against at the moment, but one thing that strikes me as odd is that with 48 teams qualifying for the finals, about 1/4 of the world will qualify.

It's not really a finals any more.

Bet Scotland still won't qualify though !!

Back