• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Rob Noxious

Retro Supremo⭐
Strange as it may seem, I've been reminiscing once again. I was thinking about the England World Cup squad of 1970 and their number one hit, 'Back Home.' There they were on TOTP, all suited in black and wearing white shirts and black ties. We didn't have a colour telly then, so that's how it appeared anyway. It was a great call to arms, or feet, and it still stirs my emotions to this day. That was a fantastic World Cup. The Brazilians were in their pomp, Pele could seemingly do anything with a ball. The Peruvians were an entertaining side too and got knocked out by Brazil in the quarters. Then there was that cracking semi-final between West Germany and Italy, a see-saw encounter which finished 4-3 and with Franz 'The Kaiser' Beckenbauer playing with his arm in a sling. England of course provided me with tears before bedtime by throwing away a 2-0 lead against WG in the quarters. Bobby Moore was the nation's hero - returning to play brilliantly against Brazil after being held under arrest for allegedly stealing a bracelet from a jeweller's in Bogota, where England had a pre-tournament friendly. Whenever I hear the phrase, 'the beautiful game,' I think of the 1970 World Cup. There have been some wonderful tournaments down the years - 1990 was particularly memorable too - and I am soooooooooo looking forward to this one. Anyone else got some World Cup memories they'd like to share?

Gazzas tears and 98 when I genuinely thought we could win it. Sol Campbells disallowed goal then those darn penalties. The last 2 have been short on magic altho who could forget Zidane going out in style.

Hand of God! :finger:

1990 and gazza as CB just mentioned and the penalties! :'(

Last edited:
Italia '90, England's second round game vs Belgium. As extra-time draws to an end, my Dad and I are having a debate about who will take England's penalties.

Then Gascoigne swings in a free-kick, Platt somehow swivels and shoots a first time volley past Michel Preud'Homme. Debate about the penalties is all of a sudden redundant and we went absolutely nuts.

EngUnif1990WCHaction.jpg

Outside of the obvious....

1986, being allowed to stay up late by my dad to watch the dour 0-0 draw with Morocco. Then watching the final in a big caravan in the New Forest and questioning my family as to why they wanted Argentina to win.

'We were at war with Germany son'

'I know that, but weren't we at war with Argentina as well recently?'

No answer to that....

When Iran equalised against Scotland in the 1978 World Cup at Argentina you could almost feel a dagger going through the hearts of the Scots contingent of my family in the living room.

To put it in context, charismatic manager Ally MacLeod had almost the whole of Scotland believing they could, nay would, win the World Cup that year. Not without foundation though.

Up front was perhaps the best striker in Europe, Kenny Dalglish, who formed a formidable partnership with Joe Jordan, whom AC Milan supporters dubbed Atilla during his time there.

In midfield was the wily skills of Asa Hartford and John Robertson, who was instrumental in Forest becoming champions that year. At the back was the imposing presence of Kenny Burns, a fellow title winner and PFA Player Of The Year.

With the likes of Graeme Souness sitting it out on the bench, and having knocked out European champions Czechoslovakia in their qualifying group, Scotland were extremely and rightly confident.

As for the opposition, Scotland had produced good results and performances against Brazil and Argentina in a summer tour the year before, defending champons West Germany were in an undeniable decline, Holland appeared to be in disarray after Johan Cruyff's exclusion, France looked very naive, and Italy tough but predictable.

Prior to the tournament, and especially after their unbeaten run in the 1974 Finals, it looked like that Scotland would have a strong tournament and, amazing as it seems, were talked about as THE dark horses to lift the Cup, not only in Scotland but across the globe.

It all began to unravel on the third day. A group match against unconsidered Peru appeared to be going to plan at first, 1-0 up after 15 minutes and looking likely to add to that sooner rather than later. Scotland made the fatal mistake, however, of relaxing. Peru were a fine side, South American champions, and won 3-1, although if Don Masson had scored his penalty with the match poised at 1-1, it would have been so different.

Consensus was, however, not that Scotland played poorly, but were beaten by a genuinely good side in a decent match. It was a shock, no doubt, but by no means irretrievable. A confidence boosting romp against no hopers Iran four days later would get them back on track.

Then, however, it began to fall apart. For some reason, rather than a random drug testing, Argentinian officials insisted on making Willie Johnston test. Subsequently, at a later testing, it was found that Argentina's Mario Kempes was pregnant, although no action was taken.

Johnston, a canny winger for Rangers and WBA, who had tormented Argentina in their last meeting, had been taking a cold remedy, Reactivan, sold freely over the counter in chemists throughout the UK. In it, though, was a banned substance. Johnston was sent home. The squad were rocked. The world's press circled like vultures.

For the squad and MacLeod it was almost a relief to be on the pitch, it what was now becoming a highly pressured situation, as it was the only place they were free from the media and other divisive outside influences. Ally kept faith in the side that were defeated in their first match, figuring that a good team doesn't become a bad one overnight, especially as they hadn't actually played that badly.

He was wrong. In front of less than 8,000 souls, almost all congregated behind either goal beyoind an athletics track (giving a surreal tv image of an empty stadium), Scotland were dreadful against willing but extremely limited opponents. Passes went astray, heads dropped or began to shake.

A moment of relief on the stroke of half time though. Without doubt the most comical goal I've ever seen. A long aimless Scottish punt was being shepherded back to the Iranian keeper on the edge of the area. Then, for no apparent reason, the centre half clattered into the keeper, and as the custodian tried to desperately grab the ball, the defender proceed to volley the ball into his own net. The Scots didn't even celebrate, relieved and amazed.

At last, we thought, an outrageous stroke of fortune would turn it all round. We waited for the Scotland second half onslaught. In vain, though, as Iran sensed the state of mind their opponents were in and began to fancy their chances. They ran at their bedraggled opponents.

Then it happened. A run on the Iranian left inside the penalty area, of all people Archie Gemmell embarrassingly skinned, but the only option was a near post shot. Alan Rough, though, inexplicably veered away from his near post, anticipating a pass into the six yard box, and could only look on in despair as his elementary mistake was punished with an equalising goal.

You could have heard a pin drop in Chez Groyne, with half the household fervent Scots and the rest, although not exactly supporting Scotland, taking an interest. I'll never forget that eerie silence, which seemed to even block out the sound of Hugh Johns desrcibing the unfolding and unthinkable disaster. Nobody dared say anything. It was almost like being at a funeral wake. It's something that stays with me to this very day.

Then came what nobody in any profession wants - sympathy. There on the screen, as the minutes ticked by and Iran looked for a winner, was Ally MacLeod. Totally helpless as the team he fashioned, a side that had vanquished all before them prior to the World Cup, a side that was rightly given serious consideration for honours, had vanished into thin air, apparently replaced by a Partick Thistle Veterans Reserve XI.

TV pictures cruelly captured the momet when, after shouting in frustration, he buried his head in his hands. An iconic image for all the wrong reasons. Even at the tender age of 11, I felt for the guy, I wished I could just put my arm around his shoulder and say it wasn't his fault. Potential champion to a schoolkid feeling sorry for him. It doesn't get much worse really.

The match finished 1-1, the only sound being heard that of a hail of abuse coming from the small pocket of Scots fans in attendance. A truly gruseome chapter in World Cup history had been indeliably written into the hearts and minds of those north of the border.

If truth be told they've never recovered. Every tournament since, it's been a case of 'we know our place, let's just try not to embarrass ourselves'. Never have they ever gone into a Finals again talking up their chances. This is a real shame as a World Cup really is a time to dream, to hope, to think 'Yes, it COULD be us'.

I don't think anybody truly realises what a difference just a single, solitary goal can ever make. Unless, of course, you happened to be in Cordoba during the winter of '78.

Last edited:
Strange as it may seem, I've been reminiscing once again. I was thinking about the England World Cup squad of 1970 and their number one hit, 'Back Home.' There they were on TOTP, all suited in black and wearing white shirts and black ties. We didn't have a colour telly then, so that's how it appeared anyway. It was a great call to arms, or feet, and it still stirs my emotions to this day. That was a fantastic World Cup. The Brazilians were in their pomp, Pele could seemingly do anything with a ball. The Peruvians were an entertaining side too and got knocked out by Brazil in the quarters. Then there was that cracking semi-final between West Germany and Italy, a see-saw encounter which finished 4-3 and with Franz 'The Kaiser' Beckenbauer playing with his arm in a sling. England of course provided me with tears before bedtime by throwing away a 2-0 lead against WG in the quarters. Bobby Moore was the nation's hero - returning to play brilliantly against Brazil after being held under arrest for allegedly stealing a bracelet from a jeweller's in Bogota, where England had a pre-tournament friendly. Whenever I hear the phrase, 'the beautiful game,' I think of the 1970 World Cup. There have been some wonderful tournaments down the years - 1990 was particularly memorable too - and I am soooooooooo looking forward to this one. Anyone else got some World Cup memories they'd like to share?

The Brazil team of 1970 has to be the best team I've ever seen (albeit on TV), they worked on the basis if the opposition scored 7 they'd score 8. As their goalkeeper Felix was probably among the worst keepers I've ever seen you could understand their thought process. In Jairzinho, Gerson, Rivelino, Clodoaldo, Carlos Alderto, Everaldo and the incomparable Pele they had pace, skill and goals throughout the team. The England v Brazil game was memorable for many things, but as the song says I can still see that tackle by Moore, and as for the Banks save!! England IMO were a better team in 1970 than in 1966, but for Ramsey subbing Bobby Charlton to save him for the semi final who knows whatcould have happened.

Having said all that as an England supprter there's only one date 30th July 1966, England 4 West Germany 2.

The Brazil team of 1970 has to be the best team I've ever seen (albeit on TV), they worked on the basis if the opposition scored 7 they'd score 8. As their goalkeeper Felix was probably among the worst keepers I've ever seen you could understand their thought process. In Jairzinho, Gerson, Rivelino, Clodoaldo, Carlos Alderto, Everaldo and the incomparable Pele they had pace, skill and goals throughout the team. The England v Brazil game was memorable for many things, but as the song says I can still see that tackle by Moore, and as for the Banks save!! England IMO were a better team in 1970 than in 1966, but for Ramsey subbing Bobby Charlton to save him for the semi final who knows whatcould have happened.

Having said all that as an England supprter there's only one date 30th July 1966, England 4 West Germany 2.

Just too young to remember '66 at the time, Harry, although I'm told I was there. Did you hear that story about Alan Mullery saying to Banks immediately after that save against Brazil in 1970 that he should have caught it?! :D Banks' reply was unprintable apparently.

There was a great group game Brazil had against Czechoslovakia. Pele had a lob from the centre circle which went just wide. Then there was that dummy on the keeper against Uruguay in the semis - one of the most sublime pieces of play I've seen. Of course, everyone remembers the Carlos Alberto goal in the final, but that build up to it, starting in Brazil's half where Clodoaldo wrong-foots a few Italians before putting it out to Gerson (IIRC) on the left was wonderful.

Of course, everyone remembers the Carlos Alberto goal in the final, but that build up to it, starting in Brazil's half where Clodoaldo wrong-foots a few Italians before putting it out to Gerson (IIRC) on the left was wonderful.

And the perfect pass form Pele to set up the shot and Tostao smashing the ball back into the net. Greatest team ever.

I think as a single game of football it would be hard to beat the Italy v Germany semi final.

Just too young to remember '66 at the time, Harry, although I'm told I was there. Did you hear that story about Alan Mullery saying to Banks immediately after that save against Brazil in 1970 that he should have caught it?! :D Banks' reply was unprintable apparently.

There was a great group game Brazil had against Czechoslovakia. Pele had a lob from the centre circle which went just wide. Then there was that dummy on the keeper against Uruguay in the semis - one of the most sublime pieces of play I've seen. Of course, everyone remembers the Carlos Alberto goal in the final, but that build up to it, starting in Brazil's half where Clodoaldo wrong-foots a few Italians before putting it out to Gerson (IIRC) on the left was wonderful.

Best goal of all-time, they were just strolling about and then all of sudden bang and the finish was just amazing!

My earliest actual memory was Linekers hat-trick in 86.

I was lucky enough to be at the 3 group matches against Uruguay, France & Mexico in 1966, the first internationals I'd ever been to. I'm not sure if that Mullery story is true, but I am sure that after the Banks save the ref gave a goal kick, he probably couldn't believe it.

There were so many good goals by that Brazil team, the stunning shot be Gerson, and any number by Rivelino with his strange head banging celebration, and of course Jairzinho who scored in every game. I thought the Pele dummy on the keeper was in the group games either against the Czechs or Romania.

My first memory is of '82 where there was a second mini-league after the first. Wasn't that one of the matches where Brian Robson scored in 45 secs vs France?

'86 for Maradona and HOG but '90 is utterly memorable and I lost it for a few minutes when Waddle hit "that" penalty.

My first memory is of '82 where there was a second mini-league after the first. Wasn't that one of the matches where Brian Robson scored in 45 secs vs France?

Nearly. That was our first match in the first group games. France were favourites to win and did actually play better than us for quite a while in the first half. I believe the goal was scored after 27-28 seconds & that it was a result of a knock-on from Butcher after a Steve Coppell throw. I could be wrong though as I'm only going by memory.

Last edited:
Briefly remember a young Michael Owen scoring a pretty impressive goal against Argentina...
owen-celebrates-1998.jpg

But arguably the best for me, more because of the situation, would have been Becks' penalty against the Argentinians four years later...
Beckham-Argentina2.jpg

Nearly. That was our first match in the first group games. France were favourites to win and did actually play better than us for quite a while in the first half. I believe the goal was scored after 27-28 seconds & that it was a result of a knock-on from Butcher after a Steve Coppell throw. I could be wrong though as I'm only going by memory.

A goal that is often incorrectly cited (well, maybe only in England!) as the quickest goal in World Cup Finals history.

That accolade for years belonged to Vaclav Masek of Czechoslovakia, with a goal after 16 seconds in 1962. Hakan Sukur of Turkey has since broken it with one of 11 seconds in 2002.

1962...1982...2002...hmm...keep an eye out in 2022 for a very quick goal somewhere!

Back