• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

World Cup Qualifiers

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
ENGLAND, Montenegro, Ukraine, Poland, Moldova, San Marino

Poland as 4th seeds is nasty and there are definitely easier groups out there, but it could have been worse.

Poland, we all know how much of a pest they can be. All home games should be fairly easily navigated, only the away ones to Poland, Ukraine and Montenegro that could cause us concern although I think Montenegro could be crossed of that list depending on how we play against them in Podgorica during the Euro 2012 Qualifiers.

It's an okay draw, could have been worse. Poland definitely a bad one to get from pot 4, Ukraine could be tricky as well though I wouldn't expect Montenegro to be as good as they are at the moment. Moldova and San Marino should be easily overcome. Much harder for Scotland and Wales though - Serbia, Croatia, Belgium and Macedonia is very tough

think england should be well pleased with their group, got off lightly if you ask me.

I wanted to be in Group A . 2 Derbies , hard game against Serbia , Belgium and Macedonia .

Pretty disappointed really , looks pretty boring :sad:

Definitely could have been a lot worse with France in Pot 2 and Rumania in Pot 4. I've a feeling the away games (with the exception of Ukraine) could be better for us than the home games as some of these teams will just come and park the bus at Wembley. The expectation levels are higher at home and our fans could turn on the team if we aren't spanking Johnny Foreigner out of sight by half-time.

Also a relief to have avoided Sweden from Pot 2 - they've been a strange nemesis for several years now and I don't think we've beaten them since 1968.

An 'anschluss' in Group C again? Always think of poor old Algeria (in the '82 World Cup) when Germany and Austria play each other.

I wanted to be in Group A . 2 Derbies , hard game against Serbia , Belgium and Macedonia .

Pretty disappointed really , looks pretty boring :sad:

Ha - the way we've been playing, it won't be boring. Predict more nail-biting trauma as we almost fluff it en route to qualifying! :smiles:

High time we had Poland again. I grew up thinking it was compulsory for us to play them every year.

article-0-067F3D06000005DC-257_468x286.jpg

Bung in Bosnia, Montenegro & Slovenia and the former Yugoslavia can have a group of its own.

Hey H - before all the ethnic cleansing started in the early-mid nineties, wasn't there a mighty punch-up between Red Star Belgrade and a Croat team which signified not all was well in the former Yugoslavia? I seem to remember one bearded player - Bobic is the name that just about comes to mind - who'd somehow commandeered a stick and was taking it to the opposition and also set about some soldiers with it too. And they say it's a bit tasty when Celtic and Rangers get together.

Hey H - before all the ethnic cleansing started in the early-mid nineties, wasn't there a mighty punch-up between Red Star Belgrade and a Croat team which signified not all was well in the former Yugoslavia? I seem to remember one bearded player - Bobic is the name that just about comes to mind - who'd somehow commandeered a stick and was taking it to the opposition and also set about some soldiers with it too. And they say it's a bit tasty when Celtic and Rangers get together.

Yeah you're right saw something about that on Danny Dyer's International Football Factory's, they are crazy in that part of the world!

Dinamo Zagreb? I seem to remember all sorts of pyrotechnics in the stands. Back then I think all "Yugoslavs" wore beards and all their names ended in ic.

Dinamo Zagreb? I seem to remember all sorts of pyrotechnics in the stands. Back then I think all "Yugoslavs" wore beards and all their names ended in ic.

All except Robert Prosinecki. I'm sure you're right about Dinamo Zagreb though. Think I'll try to see if it's on Youtube - it will probably bring back all sorts of cheeful memories for THE SEVENTIES NORTH BANK in the context of running The Treecotters out of Surrey Avenue! :smile:

Back