• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

World Uni rankings

Mine's unlisted. Again. I learned right good there.

Clown Colleges don't get the respect they deserve.

I'm off now to freshen my buttonhole seltzer.

Number 4 for my MA.Though I'm afraid Brum Poly (even in its post '92 guise) isn't listed.Obviously an oversight.:winking:

More worryingly (as El Pais noted last week),there's no Spanish Uni. in the top 100 for the first time.Mainly because of the cuts.

See the UAB, (where I used to teach), just made the cull at 177.

Last edited:
My employer is in the Top 100. Not bad, especially as Leeds didn't make it.

Mine's unlisted. Again. I learned right good there.

Clown Colleges don't get the respect they deserve.

I'm off now to freshen my buttonhole seltzer.

Can you do the spincycle fantastique trick though?

It's a top notch piece of buffoonery.

There's Universities in Sierra Leone that have a better reputation than my Alma Mater :hilarious:

Still got me a new job! :happy:

No problem with university education, but a massive issue with the fact for example, someone with a degree in geography, can get a job in finance, just because they have a degree. You couldn't bottle what I've learned/ experienced in my 9 years of full time employment, but I'm almost unemployable outside my current job because of a lack of a degree, not my ability to do the job. Rant over.

No problem with university education, but a massive issue with the fact for example, someone with a degree in geography, can get a job in finance, just because they have a degree. You couldn't bottle what I've learned/ experienced in my 9 years of full time employment, but I'm almost unemployable outside my current job because of a lack of a degree, not my ability to do the job. Rant over.

The ownership of a degree is a signal that you have lots of skills and experience (research, independent thought, group work, motivation, time management, being able to deal with pressure, being able to focus on big project, prioritising, using resources, presentations, arguing a case, debating, thinking logically, identifying key issues etc etc etc etc etc etc etc).

If you don't have a degree, then you need to explain how your work experience and education have helped you developed these specific skills, as well as highlighting that you have other skills that you've developed which are also very valuable. Many organisations will be lazy, and just expect a degree, because it's so much easier to whittle down the field when hiring. There's nothing to stop you from putting together a CV and a well written covering letter and explain your background, why you don't have a degree, and why you think you'd be a good addition to the firm.

The ownership of a degree is a signal that you have lots of skills and experience (research, independent thought, group work, motivation, time management, being able to deal with pressure, being able to focus on big project, prioritising, using resources, presentations, arguing a case, debating, thinking logically, identifying key issues etc etc etc etc etc etc etc).

If you don't have a degree, then you need to explain how your work experience and education have helped you developed these specific skills, as well as highlighting that you have other skills that you've developed which are also very valuable. Many organisations will be lazy, and just expect a degree, because it's so much easier to whittle down the field when hiring. There's nothing to stop you from putting together a CV and a well written covering letter and explain your background, why you don't have a degree, and why you think you'd be a good addition to the firm.

All those things you have mentioned I know full well that myself and Chadded will of done that throughout our careers and it is the same with most serving military personnel. Problem is with many of us we haven't got degree's and the fact that there is a constant threat of redundancy because of the governments cuts, some of us are pretty ****ed when we leave.

It is annoying how some 23 year old who has gone to uni then spent a couple of years travelling and decided to go for a job is more likely to get a job over me because they have a degree. I genuinely would be ****ed if I got made redundant tomorrow. I maybe able to go back to my old job but other than that I have no real other options all because I don't have a degree. But I have bag full of experience that cannot be taught at university!

Aren't ex-Military fast tracked into teaching these days or was that just a Daily Mail headline?

All those things you have mentioned I know full well that myself and Chadded will of done that throughout our careers and it is the same with most serving military personnel. Problem is with many of us we haven't got degree's and the fact that there is a constant threat of redundancy because of the governments cuts, some of us are pretty ****ed when we leave.

It is annoying how some 23 year old who has gone to uni then spent a couple of years travelling and decided to go for a job is more likely to get a job over me because they have a degree. I genuinely would be ****ed if I got made redundant tomorrow. I maybe able to go back to my old job but other than that I have no real other options all because I don't have a degree. But I have bag full of experience that cannot be taught at university!

I was just discussing the transferable skills. If you genuinely believe that you have all the transferable skills from your military/work experience that come from a uni degree then great, you just need to persuade potential employers that this is the case.

Degrees are useful because they are an established signal which shows that a graduate has those skills, as well as a huge level of knowledge in a specific subject. So say you're looking at IT jobs, or finance, you're up against graduates who have those transferable skills, as well as computer science/IT/economics/accounting degrees which mean they have a great deal of knowledge.

Also, gone are the days where a graduate can go off travelling and walk into a quality job, graduate unemployment is rising a lot, and the graduates getting a job are those who fill their spare time with relevant work experience etc.

sct4unemploymentratesforrecentgraduates_tcm77-259045.png

This graph shows a sharp increase in the unemployment rate in recent graduates (yellow line). Unemployment has increases in all graduates since 2007.

Graduate%20employment%20pic%201.JPG

This is important, because it suggests that since the recession, graduates have seen a shift from higher to lower skilled jobs - which obviously puts a squeeze on non-graduates in this particular labour market.

Last edited:
Mate of mine's son is currently training as a Police cadet after completing a Law degree and an MA.Makes sense to me.I imagine he'll be fast tracked up the ranks in no time flat.

Back