• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

World Uni rankings

Mate of mine's son is currently training as a Police cadet after completing a Law degree and an MA.Makes sense to me.I imagine he'll be fast tracked up the ranks in no time flat.

Makes little sense to have done the degree and MA and then enter the police.

Job security at the very least,surely? If he fits in, he's bound to get fast tracked after a couple of years on the beat.

Would you say the same thing for a graduate joining the army?

Why would he be 'fast tracked'? I'm guessing he has a substantial student debt which he could have avoided by going directly into the police after school?

Why would he be 'fast tracked'? I'm guessing he has a substantial student debt which he could have avoided by going directly into the police after school?

I would have thought that anyone with a Law degree (and a postgraduate Law qualification) would be invaluable to the modern Police force (if he fits in,as I said before).

From what I know of his parents financial circumstances,I'm sure he does have quite a substantial student debt to pay off.

Personally,I'm all in favour of a well qualified workforce in the Police (and the Armed Forces for that matter).

Many organisations will be lazy, and just expect a degree, because it's so much easier to whittle down the field when hiring.

Exactly. That's pretty much the default at my place, but last time I was hiring, I removed it as a requirement. If applicants had a degree then great but not having one shouldn't be regarded as insurmountable*

*With obvious exceptions. I'm quite keen on people hoping to becomes heart surgeons having a degree.

No problem with university education, but a massive issue with the fact for example, someone with a degree in geography, can get a job in finance, just because they have a degree. You couldn't bottle what I've learned/ experienced in my 9 years of full time employment, but I'm almost unemployable outside my current job because of a lack of a degree, not my ability to do the job. Rant over.

Rubbish.

Outside of graduate recruitment schemes, employers don't care about degrees they care about experience. It's like no-one cares what your GCSEs were once you got A-levels and no-one cares what your A-levels were once you've got a degree.

Your problem (other than being unemployable) is that experience is generally interpreted as having done the same job before. You could have a degree and would find the exact same challenges when attempting to change careers.

I don't insist on a degree but candidates must be freemasons and be a member of a good golf club.

Rubbish.

Outside of graduate recruitment schemes, employers don't care about degrees they care about experience. It's like no-one cares what your GCSEs were once you got A-levels and no-one cares what your A-levels were once you've got a degree.

Your problem (other than being unemployable) is that experience is generally interpreted as having done the same job before. You could have a degree and would find the exact same challenges when attempting to change careers.

Thats a lie... i cant apply for a lot of graduate schemes because although i (will) have a masters they will not accept anyone who doesnt have 320+ Ucas points (ABB at alevel)

Back