• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
Following on from the Sunderland in the fog game, what other matches have continued in farcical conditions?

I remember JCR on a waterlogged pitch against (or had he already moved there?) Barnsley in the FA Cup. Someone had a shot and the ball didn't even reach the 6 yard box.

Also away at Hull. Rob Newman was more or less in the centre-circle when he went in for a slide tackle on Mark Hateley on the touchline. Hateley didn't fancy it much after that and only touched the ball another two times, one of which was to take a throw in!

Simon Livett had to chip the ball up in the air to volley in a cross it was so waterlogged.

Rushden on boxing day.

The goal in front of the South Stand was like an icing rink. We went 2-0 down first half but came back to win 4-2 with Bramble and Rawle (or possibly the pitch) unplayable.

Shrewsbury in the snow at home, I was stewarding sitting in front of the East Stand and couldn't see the otehr side of the pitch at times.

Yorkshire Blue said:
Following on from the Sunderland in the fog game, what other matches have continued in farcical conditions?

I remember JCR on a waterlogged pitch against (or had he already moved there?) Barnsley in the FA Cup. Someone had a shot and the ball didn't even reach the 6 yard box.
This would have the one that immediately sprung to my mind. The only reason the game continued was because we were 1 up, which was fine until they equalised deep into injury time. IIRC we won the replay at their place, and then played away at Spurs in the next round, on a freezing cold day.

I would say Millwall in last season's FA Cup was a contender - first we had to deal with the darkness after the lights went out, then we had to deal with torrential rain with the ball starting to hold up in play all over the pitch.

Also away at Hull. Rob Newman was more or less in the centre-circle when he went in for a slide tackle on Mark Hateley on the touchline. Hateley didn't fancy it much after that and only touched the ball another two times, one of which was to take a throw in!

Simon Livett had to chip the ball up in the air to volley in a cross it was so waterlogged.

I remember this match, how it was played I will never know.....a 1-1 draw if I remember correctly. I was one of the 13 wally's who stood on the open terrace whilst the 200 other Blues fans sit in the stand. Oh to be that young and stupid again :winking:. Spent the entire journey home in my boxers on the coach :blush:

Cyril sneer will remember this day!!!

I remember the Barnsley one, can still remember the squelching as players ran!

Must have been loads of matches pre 1960 when they just played on regardless of snow, rain, wind, waterlogged pitches etc.
Just look at the state of The Stadium pitch back in 1952 - http://www.britishpathe.com/video/football-southend-vs-bristol-rovers-southend
22,429 crowd fans really did turn out for FA Cup matches in those days.

Our home FA Cup crowds 1951/2
1st Round 12,581 v Bournemouth 6-1
2nd Round 13,300 v Oldham 5-0
3rd Round 18,929 v Southampton 3-0
4th Round 22,429 v Bristol Rovers 2-1
5th Round 21,887 v Sheffield United 1-2

Reason for the slightly lower 5th round crowd is I think that Bristol Rovers had an estimated 4,000 fans whereas Sheffield United did not bring as many.

89,126 fans through the gate for 5 FA Cup matches, to think just over 30 years later we got less than half that for a whole season of league football.

Last edited:

That was the one which sprang to mind for me. Farcical conditions. I'm pretty sure that JCR still played for us (I think we played them as well the next year after he moved there) because my abiding memory was one moment in the first half where a hoof over the top from one of our centre-halves was left by everyone as it sailed out of play only it slammed into the surface about six yards from the corner flag and didn't bounce at all. The crowd were screaming at our players to notice before they did. I think JCR was the first player to finally react to it and he got their first. Pretty sure there was no end product though as usual.

This would have the one that immediately sprung to my mind. The only reason the game continued was because we were 1 up, which was fine until they equalised deep into injury time. IIRC we won the replay at their place, and then played away at Spurs in the next round, on a freezing cold day.

The freezing cold day at Spurs was the League Cup Quarter Final I think. Horrid conditions. The FA Cup match was a few weeks later when it was slightly less artic.

That Liverpool game in the snow, and a very waterlogged pitch (mud) v Manchester city (the Bert Trautman fixture) spring to mind

That Liverpool game in the snow, and a very waterlogged pitch (mud) v Manchester city (the Bert Trautman fixture) spring to mind

The Liverpool game was a match for real men, there's no way on earth that would have been played these days!!! :winking:

Remember a game against Aldershot in thick snow with lines cleared ,think it was a fa cup game which ended 2-2 late 60s?

Haven't got that many to choose from..........probably plenty I can't remember:sad: It has to be Liverpool in '79. Came all the way back from Tenterden (Kent), after work, on the old A13. Following that trip I would have been a little peeved if had be postponed..........but don't know how it wasn't!

A home FA Cup reply a year or two ago v. Bury. Bitterly cold and the pitch was freezing over before our eyes. It also went to extra-time!

Back