• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

1-0 Gillingham 65/6 -first away game -how bad were we after the 5-2 win 3 days earlier
4-0 Col Utd 68/69 _how did they get 10,604 in Layer Road scared the life out of me
3-0 Newport 70-71 - Newport's first win of the season in their 26th game
5-1 at Wrexham in October 73 - we were awful could have been 10
1-1 Orient 82/83 Bore draw
5-1 Gillingham 83/84 - 5 of 23 goals conceded in 6 away games - didn't even recognise our Sub ( Lil Fucillo -another of Morris's mates)

Had kids then so very few away games after that.

3-1 Yeovil 2004/5 Wettest ever on open terrace
2-1 MK Dons 2005/6 - Coldest ever

Easy one for me. Walsall in the Leyland DAF Cup, 30th January 1990. Drove up there in my black Cortina with a couple of mates. The weather was atrocious (gale force winds, driving rain and bitterly cold), we couldn't find a friendly place to drink and made do with a pretty poor chippy (which we had to eat outside).

By the time we got to the ground we were like drowned rats and my legs and feet were numb.

We watched the game beneath an old ramshackle wooden tower that was swaying in the wind. The game was played at Saddlers Farm. I think it was the last season there before they moved to the Bescot.

Anyway, we played terribly and Walsall beat us 4-1 with Stuart Rimmer tearing our defenders a new one.

The drive home was horrendous. ****ed off. ****ed on by the elements. My car being blown from one lane to the next on the motorway.

One to forget. but I can't.

Couldnt say the absolute worst as my memory is awful, but I recall Oxford away in the mid 90s (EDIT: Looked it up, 24/8/96) Think we lost 5-0 and had to stand on open terracing whilst it absolutely hammered down all game.
Yep I rate that 5 nil defeat at Oxford as even worse than the 8-1 at Gillingham and the 7 nil at Sunderland.
Also up there was the 6-1 defeat at Swindon in the LDV 1st round 2003.
Flahaven was our man of the match if not for a few great saves we would have let double figures in. I think it was one of the last games Steve Tilson played for us and Tom Jordan's only game?

Yep I rate that 5 nil defeat at Oxford as even worse than the 8-1 at Gillingham and the 7 nil at Sunderland.
Also up there was the 6-1 defeat at Swindon in the LDV 1st round 2003.
Flahaven was our man of the match if not for a few great saves we would have let double figures in. I think it was one of the last games Steve Tilson played for us and Tom Jordan's only game?

You remember the rain too? Not sure if I am thinking of another game, but I'm positive it was Oxford?

Easy one for me. Walsall in the Leyland DAF Cup, 30th January 1990. Drove up there in my black Cortina with a couple of mates. The weather was atrocious (gale force winds, driving rain and bitterly cold), we couldn't find a friendly place to drink and made do with a pretty poor chippy (which we had to eat outside).

By the time we got to the ground we were like drowned rats and my legs and feet were numb.

We watched the game beneath an old ramshackle wooden tower that was swaying in the wind. The game was played at Saddlers Farm. I think it was the last season there before they moved to the Bescot.

Anyway, we played terribly and Walsall beat us 4-1 with Stuart Rimmer tearing our defenders a new one.

The drive home was horrendous. ****ed off. ****ed on by the elements. My car being blown from one lane to the next on the motorway.

One to forget. but I can't.

Remember that game too, couldn't find a decent pub so we ended up in a hotel bar I think.

October 1992. Took my son to his first ever away match. 2nd leg League Cup evening match against Derby County at the Baseball Ground.

We were 1-0 up from the first leg and I was hopeful that we'd beat them, or at least put up a good fight. Ended up 7-0 and, as they say, we were lucky to get nil. I don't recall us ever threatening their goal.

My boy counted 105 Shrimpers among a 14,000-ish crowd. I expect they all had as miserable a journey home as we did.

Couldnt say the absolute worst as my memory is awful, but I recall Oxford away in the mid 90s (EDIT: Looked it up, 24/8/96) Think we lost 5-0 and had to stand on open terracing whilst it absolutely hammered down all game.

Also weather related, an away trip to MK Dons under Tilly I think when they were in the hockey stadium. Temporary seated open stand and it was absolutely BITTER and was an awful game. We probably lost, but my eyes froze over so I didnt see the finish.

Pb, iro MK Dons @ the National Hockey Stadium, agree it was FREEZING. And we lost 1-0.:thumbdown:

Pb, iro MK Dons @ the National Hockey Stadium, agree it was FREEZING. And we lost 1-0.:thumbdown:

I thought it was 1-0 too, but my mate who is basically a walking Southend encyclopedia insisted it was 2-1 with Goater netting. Had to look it up and he was spot on.

I must have been frozen solid as I dont recall anything to get excited about.

Newcastle away in 92/93. Arrived at half time due to awful traffic. Paid full price to get in. Lost 3-2. Was only out the car just over an hour. Great times.

You remember the rain too? Not sure if I am thinking of another game, but I'm positive it was Oxford?
Yep I can remember it raining goals in our net! Nope can't actually remember any rain just remember the performance.
We had quite a few fans there that day and virtually everybody was giving the team abuse we were that poor. It was only our first away game of the season but after that performance it was so obvious we were going to be relegated that season. Although some how we managed to beat Bolton 5-2 a few games later. However normal service was soon resumed with a 6-1 defeat at Crystal Palace.

I thought it was 1-0 too, but my mate who is basically a walking Southend encyclopedia insisted it was 2-1 with Goater netting. Had to look it up and he was spot on.

I must have been frozen solid as I dont recall anything to get excited about.

2-1. Goat gave us the lead early on. But yes it was the coldest I've EVER been at a game....

Oh and their winner was an absolute MILE offside, which made it even worse.

Oh fair enough lads. I too for the life of me cannot remember the Goat's goal but, yes, their winner was miles x miles offside! A little too early for VAR!

Oldham away in the cup replay a few years back. It was the coldest I have ever been at a match, the pie I had to try and keep warm was disgusting.

Every shrimper at the game knew that once Mohsni had been booked he was going get sent off. Why he wasn't subbed I just don't know. I think we had one shot all game, Sturrock was up front.

Really poor all round even though the winner would be taking on Liverpool in the next round.

Back