• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mvoto in the home game v Swindon, we went 2-0. I thought he was generally a good player but his spell was riddled by injury

Sodje away at Norwich in the CCC, when he was sent-off after 40 minites it was a relief!

If its already been mentioned I apologise but i can't be bothered to read the whole thread.

Roy McDonough away at Brentford on a wet and horrible Sunday game which we lost 4-0. One of the fans shouted out "you're sh** McDonough F-off" to which Big Roy came striding over towards the fans doing his best impression of Gareth Hunt in the Nescafe ads. King Eric had nothing on the Donut!

Sodje away at Norwich in the CCC, when he was sent-off after 40 minites it was a relief!

If its already been mentioned I apologise but i can't be bothered to read the whole thread.

Seconded, me and my mate talked about this whilst admiring Efe on friday...........

OBL on Eggheads.

merked.jpg

Jamie Stuart away at Scarborough - utterly roasted for 90 minutes by Ashley Sestanovic.

Che Wilson home to Crystal Palace - people had started to ask whether the absense of this near ever-present in our League One winning side was the reason why we were conceeding so many goals in the Championship. After this horror show, no one was asking that question any more.

I'm sure Matt Harrold had one game at Roots Hall where he had an absolute shocker topped off by missing a penalty in front of the South Stand - but the only missed penalty I can find from Harrold was the one away at Luton. Am I mixing him up with James Walker (easily done, obviously...)?

Jamie Stuart away at Scarborough - utterly roasted for 90 minutes by Ashley Sestanovic.

Che Wilson home to Crystal Palace - people had started to ask whether the absense of this near ever-present in our League One winning side was the reason why we were conceeding so many goals in the Championship. After this horror show, no one was asking that question any more.

I'm sure Matt Harrold had one game at Roots Hall where he had an absolute shocker topped off by missing a penalty in front of the South Stand - but the only missed penalty I can find from Harrold was the one away at Luton. Am I mixing him up with James Walker (easily done, obviously...)?

Rochdale in the FA Cup I think, IIRC he'd scored from the spot in the first half.

John Neilson, boxing day at home to Charlton during the glorious 96/97 season. Came on at left midfield and gave the worst performance I have ever seen.

The short-arse little ref who looks about 12 years old on one of his many dire performances at RH!

Go on then.

As for midfield- Dean Holness, and any Stuart Thurgood game. Leon Johnson must have had a stinker or two. Steven Clark definitely did..

Steven Clark redeemed himself with a 50 yard run and goal in the LDV thrashing of QPR on the way to, well, Wembley. No one's mentioned Daniel Webb yet - the most clueless striker I've ever seen and was only there because his dad was the boss... (you know where I'm going next)

I'd like to nominate a hat-trick of players. Andy Harris, Declan Perkins and Trevor Fitzpatirck. In a dire 5-0 loss at Brunton Park in the late 90's, 97/98 I think?? Andy Harris contributed as much to Carlisle's attacking prowess that day as a one Matt Janson, who netted at least twice. Comically missed interceptions, giving the ball away on the odd occasion he had it and being hopelessly out of position. I think Janson left the following week or shortly after for Palace, not that it mattered. Perkins and Fitzpatrick were equally inept, I remember on at least three occasion Fitzpatrick trying to control a Southall hoof and the ball bouncing off his shin/inside of boot and landing about 8/10 yards away from him. Cracking touch. And another incident where Perkins went to pass it to Fitzpatrick who was about 5 yards away and he pretty much leathered it to a defender about 10 yards behind him, and they just stood there staring at one another, a real Laurel and Hardy moment. It's probably the most inept performance I've ever witnessed from a southend team. It's got to be one of the worst teams we've ever fielded as well, and I think it started a run of 5/6 games without scoring and saw us drop to the bottom of the league, Carlisle were down there with us as well, which just compounded the defeat.

I remember the coach being like a ghost coach as well, most of us had the luxury of two seats to ourselves. the highlight of the day was a 20p pool table, cheap pints (about 1.50 I think) and spaghetti on toast (A gourmet meal in Carlisle!) for a £1 in the Rugby club. It went downhill from there.

I'd like to nominate a hat-trick of players. Andy Harris, Declan Perkins and Trevor Fitzpatirck. In a dire 5-0 loss at Brunton Park in the late 90's, 97/98 I think?? Andy Harris contributed as much to Carlisle's attacking prowess that day as a one Matt Janson, who netted at least twice. Comically missed interceptions, giving the ball away on the odd occasion he had it and being hopelessly out of position. I think Janson left the following week or shortly after for Palace, not that it mattered. Perkins and Fitzpatrick were equally inept, I remember on at least three occasion Fitzpatrick trying to control a Southall hoof and the ball bouncing off his shin/inside of boot and landing about 8/10 yards away from him. Cracking touch. And another incident where Perkins went to pass it to Fitzpatrick who was about 5 yards away and he pretty much leathered it to a defender about 10 yards behind him, and they just stood there staring at one another, a real Laurel and Hardy moment. It's probably the most inept performance I've ever witnessed from a southend team. It's got to be one of the worst teams we've ever fielded as well, and I think it started a run of 5/6 games without scoring and saw us drop to the bottom of the league, Carlisle were down there with us as well, which just compounded the defeat.

I remember the coach being like a ghost coach as well, most of us had the luxury of two seats to ourselves. the highlight of the day was a 20p pool table, cheap pints (about 1.50 I think) and spaghetti on toast (A gourmet meal in Carlisle!) for a £1 in the Rugby club. It went downhill from there.

This is the type of thing that I'm after.

People nominate the likes of Gordon Connelly and Louis Soares, but whilst they rarely did anything of note in a Southend shirt they could at least control a ball before passing it (backwards in Connelly's case). They are nothing to aspire to, but we've seen much, much worse in a Southend shirt - players who are unable to trap a ball.

ps Pretty sure it was the 97/98 season, around January time.
pps Wasn't it Chris Perkins rather than Declan?

I think Mark Prudhoe away vs Barnet is winning this one hands down.

Is there any way we could get an award together for him?

Would sit well next to his Darlington Player Of The Millenium.

The other thing I remember about that Carlisle game was that we were so bad we actually missed Keith Dublin. Hard to believe that's possible but it's true. Mark Stimson played sweeper attempted to play sweeper that day and demonstrated a turn of pace that to describe as glacial would be generous.

Right have looked up that game (was Jan 1998). It's possibly our worst ever line-up: Southall, Hails, Stimson, Coulbault, Harris, Lewis, Jones, Perkins, Thomson, Fitzpatrick, Clarke

Today's trivia: not one but two of that defence never played professional football again:hilarious:

Ben Lewis and Chris Perkins. God they were dire.

It's also worth noting that despite losing 5-0 Alv*n ****ing Mart*n didn't bother to make a single substitution.

Ben Lewis played 15 games and we conceded five goals in three of them. I didn't go to Grimsby (we lost 5-1 with Tommy Widdrington scoring - and it goes without saying - Lee Nogan) but I see Lewis got subbed after 22 minutes with us 3-0 down already. Anyone remember that game, because knowing how bad Ben Lewis was I suspect that's a strong candidate for this team?

I was at this game, definitely one of the worst of all-time. In fact, probably the worst I've seen and there were some bad ones in that era!

Some of my favourite worst performances:

Mark Prudhoe at Barnet. Never to be forgotten, but also an honourable mention to Simon Royce in his last game against Wrexham (though he was poor all his last season).

Simon Francis' worst of a number of horrendous defensive displays was when we lost 4-2 at Bristol Rovers. He was on the left that day, disastrous.

Sada N'Diaye also liked a shocker but his worst was the 2-0 defeat at Fulham when he allegedly cried at half time as he was too cold! Remember his debut at Plymouth though? He was brilliant!

Dominic Foley on debut at Wrexham. Sign of things to come...

Ben Lewis at Grimsby. We lost 5-1; he was subbed at half-time when we were 3-0 down. All the goals were his fault.

Jeroen Boere at Luton when he missed a number of chances against a goalkeeper who only had use of one arm.

Jean Mvoto at Hartlepool last season. Just pipping his first half cameo against Swindon.

Any performance by Graeme Jones.

Back