• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Probably been done before this but can't be fussed to look through all 7,000 pages. Anyway, my effort:

Hereford v SUFC FACup Round 1 early '80's

Studying in Plymouth at the time so travelled from there. Left house in Plympton at 7am 6 miles out from train station, started to cycle but got puncture after a mile. Ran home with bike and hitched lift to Station. Met some fellow SUFC fans at Newport, had a few beers with them in Hereford and then watched us lose 3-1. The day then took a turn for the worse.

Went from Hereford station to Newport, then train failure at Bristol Parkway meant a second change of train to Bristol Temple Meads. Third train as far as Taunton, then fourth to Exeter and then on fifth another failure and shunted to Newton Abbot where changed to sixth train to eventually get in to Plymouth station at 1am. No bike, peeing down, no one wanted to give me a lift so walked the six miles home. Got 500 yards from home when was stopped by a police car wanting to know where I had been. They had a report of a peeping tom in the area and wanted to know if it was me. I told them my story which they believed as they thought it too fantastic to be fiction. They refused me a lift for the rest of the journey and I finally got home a shade after 2am. Joy.

Tranmere away on a Friday night, must have been about 10 years ago. The coach on the way up had a 'blow out' and
we finally got to the game at half time. On the way home the
coach broke down and we spent the night at Watford Gap services. I think I got home about 9am on the Saturday morning after setting off at lunchtime on Friday.

Haven't had any bad experiences ... yet!!

wow.gif

I do know some people who went to a Friday night game in Grimsby and it got called off due to fog. 80's i think. They were invited into the players bar and left about 10pm. The fog was so thick that for 4 hours someone had to walk infront of the car to tell them which way the road was heading. They eventually got home about 7am after leaving at about 1pm.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BURY BLUE @ Sep. 03 2004,22:26)]Tranmere away on a Friday night, must have been about 10 years ago. The coach on the way up had a 'blow out' and
we finally got to the game at half time. On the way home the
coach broke down and we spent the night at Watford Gap services. I think I got home about 9am on the Saturday morning after setting off at lunchtime on Friday.
laugh.gif
I remember that....we was in the other coach and got there 10 minutes after kick-off, then we see you lot coming through at half time.

No really bad experiences yet, although nearly gettin nicked by the transport police on the way back from Cheltenham last season wasnt too healthy !

wow.gif

Living in Leicester in 1981, me and my girlfriend decided to go to the match (which was either Mansfield or Chesterfield) got 10 miles from the ground and my 1500 Cortina MkII with a new head blew a core plug, temp guage instantly hard over against the stop. I killed the engine and coasted to a halt in a layby. Had to walk into town and find a spares shop. He gave me a plug to try, walked back, wrong size, back to shop. He phoned around and a shop on the other side of town had one the right size, and kindly agreed to send it over but couldn't deliver it for at least an hour. I parked myself next to the Audio display and tuned into local radio, listened to us win (2-0 I think). Wept quietly.

Eventually core plug arrives, walk back to car, it fits! Start engine. It runs! head back towards Leicester. Getting dark, about 2 miles from the next village engine dies, won't start, water pouring out of the exhaust.... Blown the head again. Just then police car pulls up I think "Brilliant, they can 'phone the garage for us" Mr Plod sticks head out of window and says "Are you on fire?" Bloody silly question which he realises and he shoots off down the road to look for the flamer. So we have to walk the 2 miles into the village - no garage, but a pub. Getting late so get a room for the night. In the morning decide that best thing is to go back to Leicester and round up someone to come out and tow me back. Ask the Landlord about buses. Sunday. No buses. Nearest train station Derby - 7 mile walk. At least it wasn't raining. New head set me back £115, nearly two weeks wages then...

My girlfriend forgave me in the end, but she took a terrible revenge - she married me.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ Sep. 04 2004,00:29)]Living in Leicester in 1981, me and my girlfriend decided to go to the match (which was either Mansfield or Chesterfield) got 10 miles from the ground and my 1500 Cortina MkII with a new head blew a core plug, temp guage instantly hard over against the stop. I killed the engine and coasted to a halt in a layby. Had to walk into town and find a spares shop. He gave me a plug to try, walked back, wrong size, back to shop. He phoned around and a shop on the other side of town had one the right size, and kindly agreed to send it over but couldn't deliver it for at least an hour. I parked myself next to the Audio display and tuned into local radio, listened to us win (2-0 I think). Wept quietly.

Eventually core plug arrives, walk back to car, it fits! Start engine. It runs! head back towards Leicester. Getting dark, about 2 miles from the next village engine dies, won't start, water pouring out of the exhaust.... Blown the head again. Just then police car pulls up I think "Brilliant, they can 'phone the garage for us" Mr Plod sticks head out of window and says "Are you on fire?" Bloody silly question which he realises and he shoots off down the road to look for the flamer. So we have to walk the 2 miles into the village - no garage, but a pub. Getting late so get a room for the night. In the morning decide that best thing is to go back to Leicester and round up someone to come out and tow me back. Ask the Landlord about buses. Sunday. No buses. Nearest train station Derby - 7 mile walk. At least it wasn't raining. New head set me back £115, nearly two weeks wages then...

My girlfriend forgave me in the end, but she took a terrible revenge - she married me.
Every cloud has a silver lining SiaK... or so it seems with these Rose-Tinted Specs anyway!
smile.gif

Not questioning you... but I don't remember Ford making a 1500 engine for the Cortina? did they? the 1600E was my favourite...
wink.gif

'er indoors? does she wear the trousers then?
ghostface.gif

I remember a Tuesday night back in the early nineties I headed upto Grimsby by car for an end of season game. As we got closer to Grimsby the fog descended. We eventually reached the town about 6.30 having been phoning the club every 15 minutes to check the game was still on. Each time they said yep no problem, games on, no fog here. Well, there we are sitting in the car on Cleethorpes seafront having a bag of chips when, yes you guessed, the fog came down. I have never seen pea soup like it. We put Radio Grim on and the game was called off about 7ish. BALLS!!
So we headed back, Graham driving and trying to follow the white line and me telling him when a parked car was coming up. Got home about midnight with a pounding headache from concentrating on driving (and I was the passenger)!

Erm Cardiff.

Went to Pizza Hut after the LDV Final, came back to find that the Trust coaches had left without us! Had to hitch a lift back on a private Southend coach with a bunch of really nice guys.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Barmy Army @ Sep. 04 2004,08:41)]Erm Cardiff.

Went to Pizza Hut after the LDV Final, came back to find that the Trust coaches had left without us!  Had to hitch a lift back on a private Southend coach with a bunch of really nice guys.
Well that was silly wasn't it
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beaver @ Sep. 04 2004,08:18)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Barmy Army @ Sep. 04 2004,08:41)]Erm Cardiff.

Went to Pizza Hut after the LDV Final, came back to find that the Trust coaches had left without us! Had to hitch a lift back on a private Southend coach with a bunch of really nice guys.
Well that was silly wasn't it
biggrin.gif
It was the first away trip with the Trust, and we were positive we were told to go out and enjoy ourselves after the game.

Oh well.
smile.gif

30th January 1990. Drove up to Walsall for the Leyland DAF southern area quarter finals. I was behind the wheel with two friends in tow.

The wind was picking up and the rain was lashing down.

Arriving in friendly Walsall *cough* we tried to find a suitable public house, but got mad stares from all the locals, so we thought better of it. Instead, we decided to look for a chip shop. The place was grim. Like a ghost town, with the wind now gale force and the rain turning monsoon-like.

Arrived at the old shed of a ground for the game. Legs and hands were now without feeling as the arctic wind continued to pick-up and temperature continued to fall.

There was some kind of rickety wooden tower above us (camera gantry?) that was wobbling all over the place and we thought it was going to fall on us.

Stuart Rimmer was on fire that night and we played terribly. Walsall won 4-1 and we struggled back to the car, fighting off hypothermia.

Driving back was a slow afair due to restricted vision (deluge of rain) and the car being blown from one lane to the next on the motorway by the wind.

Returned hom in the wee hours of the morning... not exactly glad I bothered in the first place!

sad.gif

Bournemouth in 1990. Coach blew BOTH front tyres on the M3 on the way home. Driver fought with the wheel as we careered towards the steep embankment and managed to keep control - just - until we coasted to a stop. Needless to say he got a larger than normal tip from us all ... oh! and we lost the game.

Coach breaking down on the way home from Macclesfield three or four years ago.

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Sep. 04 2004,09:21)]30th January 1990. Drove up to Walsall for the Leyland DAF southern area quarter finals. I was behind the wheel with two friends in tow.

Arriving in friendly Walsall *cough* we tried to find a suitable public house, but got mad stares from all the locals, so we thought better of it. Instead, we decided to look for a chip shop. The place was grim. Like a ghost town, with the wind now gale force and the rain turning monsoon-like.

Arrived at the old shed of a ground for the game. Legs and hands were now without feeling as the arctic wind continued to pick-up and temperature continued to fall.

There was some kind of rickety wooden tower above us (camera gantry?) that was wobbling all over the place and we thought it was going to fall on us.

Stuart Rimmer was on fire that night and we played terribly. Walsall won 4-1 and we struggled back to the car, fighting off hypothermia.

Driving back was a slow afair due to restricted vision (deluge of rain) and the car being blown from one lane to the next on the motorway by the wind.

Returned hom in the wee hours of the morning... not exactly glad I bothered in the first place!

sad.gif
Was Mummy worried about you?

rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Its grim up north! @ Sep. 04 2004,11:30)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Sep. 04 2004,09:21)]30th January 1990. Drove up to Walsall for the Leyland DAF southern area quarter finals. I was behind the wheel with two friends in tow.

sad.gif
Was Mummy worried about you?

rock.gif
No... you were keeping her and your dad busy in bed!

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Technician @ Sep. 04 2004,02:44)]Every cloud has a silver lining SiaK... or so it seems with these Rose-Tinted Specs anyway!  
smile.gif

Not questioning you... but I don't remember Ford making a 1500 engine for the Cortina? did they? the 1600E was my favourite...  
wink.gif

'er indoors? does she wear the trousers then?  
ghostface.gif
My Cortina was one of the first MkII's - (KOU294F) and had the MKI 1500 Engine and a Corsair gearbox. It was early enough that it still had the "Pudding Stirrer) gearstick, the really long one that went up to nearly the front bulkhead and which was a legacy of Ford's liking for front bench seats. It used to break at the bent bit, so often that I carried a spare gearstick in the boot as a matter of course, and just got the old one welded up when it broke. Later MKII's had the 1600 engine (so Real Men could drive 1600E's - if you don't get that look out for a book called Real Men Don't Eat Quiche...) and the short gearstick between the front seats.

Silver Lining? Have you met my wife? If you had you wouldn't bother asking about the trousers!!

tounge.gif
biggrin.gif

Drove thousands of miles around the country to watch the blues in that car - (just to get back on topic!)

Barmy Army, I think that would have been our coach, there were about 4 of you and I seem to remember you all enjoying the 'special' video entertainment we laid on!

Went on the coach to Notts County for the Anglo Italian (I think?), the game that got called off and rearranged for the next day. We got as far as Newport Pagnell services, couldn't get next day off so had to make do with drowning my sorrows in the Railway when we got back. IIRC we lost on pens with Bressington skying one.

the most eventful away trip i remember, was during the 83/84 season. Me and a mate decided to go to every Southend FA cup game,wherever they were (usually just the 1 then..).

In the 1st rd we were at Home to Plymouth and drew 0-0, went down by train for the replay on a wednesday night, a bitterly cold evening on an open terrace with about 8 other southend fans who had made the trip which we lost a very uninspiring game 2-0 after extra time, thanks mainly to a Mick Stead OG..

Caught the Overnight train back from Plymouth to Paddington, as the train came into paddington station it took a corner at 60 MPH instead of the 5 MPH limit, ploughed across about 3 or 4 sets of railway tracks, Crashing into a platform and derailing about 5 coaches. I can remember holding on to a table for dear life as the train careered of the rails..an experience not for the faint hearted i can assure you...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Sep. 04 2004,08:21)]30th January 1990. Drove up to Walsall for the Leyland DAF southern area quarter finals. I was behind the wheel with two friends in tow.

sad.gif
Arh! summertime in good old blighty! how you must miss it!
biggrin.gif
sad.gif

Back