• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Worst job.

We have had this before but it's time for an update.

For me it would have to be 18 months spent at a sponge factory in Rochford around 1993.

The first thing I heard when I walked through the gate was one chap say to a colleague "are you still k**bing that bird from the peanut factory then or what?"

EGL per chance??

A god awful third party call centre last year after graduating. Hated every second of it and jumped at the chance to leave... Attempting to con people into magazines subscriptions didn't sit right.

Since this thread has been resurrected I thought I'd add my worst job.

When I was a student I had a summer job working for a loss adjusters on Southchurch Rd. I'd just finished 4 weeks working nights at Southend Airport and was struggling to get my sleep back in to any kind of rhythm. Most nights I didn't get to sleep until around 4.00 and had to be in the office at 9.00.

To make matters worse, the work was unbearably boring. I was inputting people's holiday insurance details on their computer system. Literally until 5.00 every evening. I must have input thousands of different details, including some people I knew so I got to see where they were going for their holidays whilst I was stuck in the office.

The owner kept saying to me that you have to be very intelligent to have the patience to input that data all day, every day, without getting bored. I can't be very intelligent because I was bored after the 1st morning. They asked me back for a 2nd week, but I refused.

I did, however, earn more in that week than I did in the whole four weeks at the airport.

The very same.
When I worked at the sponge factory new starters would regularly have done a runner long before the first tea break of the day unable to handle the mind numbing tedium of putting sponges into plastic bags.
Now I cast my mind back I remember that the application form for the job only required the name, address and telephone number of the applicant.

I was part of the production scheduling/control team there, between Aug 15 & April 16. Total sweat shop, god help you if you worked in the factory & wanted to go to the loo!.
One morning the cleaner came into our office to report a theft.
Someone had nicked the toilet brush out of the ladies loo!. FFS they only cost a £ or so!.
When i was there, on average a new daily intake of 6-7 was normal, replacing those who'd walked out ( didn't blame them either! ).

Worst job i ever had was a weeks work through an agency ( after being made redundant in 2012 after 18 years ), at the Laundry place on the A13 in Hadleigh.
I had to unload the 'cages' of the soiled laundry & wheel them through to the 'sorting' dept.
Every day i left there, i stunk something terrible!.

I worked in Harlow some 7 years ago in Poundland distribution warehouse, massive place a full of bullies and thief’s, was on a 3 month contract over Xmas period but it ended after 8 days working on nights, I was so pleased when it ended and really don’t know how I didn’t lose it with some dodgy people in that place.

Definitely a holiday job as a road sweeper. I got awful tonsillitis, was laid up for a week with the worst sore throat I'd ever had. Now my attitude to them and bin men is they sit on God's right hand and whatever they get paid it is not enough.

A garden centre on edge of Billericay that will remain nameless, but a very profitable place owned by siblings.

I was taking a year out & looking forward to spending the time working in the bedding pants area during the summer & getting a horticultural qualification.

The female owner had different ideas.

With zero staff management skills except towards select few favourites, her idea of speaking to people is shouting “Oi”, then clap her hands & say “chop chop” like speaking to a dog - this was in front of customers.

She took obvious delight by calling staff back from lunch early to serve customers even though other colleagues were about.

One freezing January morning I finally had great pleasure to tell her to poke up her skinny behind.

I put up with it for 11 months although don’t know how. I found it an awful place with a high turnover of staff & a manager who hasn’t got the balls to stand up to the owners, probably why he’s lasted over 20 years...

Last edited:
A garden centre on edge of Billericay that will remain nameless, but a very profitable place owned by siblings.

I was taking a year out & looking forward to spending the time working in the bedding pants area during the summer & getting a horticultural qualification.

The female owner had different ideas.

With zero staff management skills except towards select few favourites, her idea of speaking to people is shouting “Oi”, then clap her hands & say “chop chop” like speaking to a dog - this was in front of customers.

She took obvious delight by calling staff back from lunch early to serve customers even though other colleagues were about.

One freezing January morning I finally had great pleasure to tell her to poke up her skinny behind.

I put up with it for 11 months although don’t know how. I found it an awful place with a high turnover of staff & a manager who hasn’t got the balls to stand up to the owners, probably why he’s lasted over 20 years...

Sounds horrible, although I am intrigued to know what 'bedding pants' are? :Smile:

Are they some form of night time attire to deal with unwanted leakage, or perhaps something a little more erotic for your other half's pleasure?

I worked for a portacabin hire company in Basildon and was part of the crew that cleaned, repaired and painted the cabins before they went back out on site. As the new boy, I got the chemical toilets to clean out. A truly life changing experience.
Aaargh - I think that 'trumps' my bog cleaning at Runwell duties!

Back