• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

worst manager ever at southend?

nattrazz

looking at a recent topic on whos the worst person to ever wair a southend shirt made me wonder who the worst ever southend manager was and who the best manager ever was, my money on the worst manager would have to be ronnie whelan becuase he has to take the full brunt of the blow for the distruction of southend getting relegated two seasons on the trott and the best ever manager would have to be either Peter Taylor(legand) or David Webb

Surely after the season we've just had, there is one clear choice. I feel Steve may be able to fend off competition from Alvin Martin and Ronnie Whelan to take top spot

i have to disagree therealthough wignall is a sh*t manager he did bring in a few players that should stay at the blues for a good few seasons, i chose whelan becuase we lost over half of the games that he was in charge for a disgraceful record

Statistically wasn't Wiggy the worst?

Peter Taylor had his purse strings tied.

Alvin was just a nice bloke and inexperienced...we should blame the board rather than Alvin for that.

Wiggy was "the best of the bunch" which included Rix, and after Oxfords performance of late perhaps he was the best of the bunch. For not having fire in his eyes like my old Mattel Godzilla toy...it's gotta be Wiggy.

Can't believe that word got censored. It's only a name!

Richard Bate then....

d**k Bate predates my visits to Roots Hall, so I can't vote for him.

For me, it's a no-brainer, though. Alvin the Chipmunk. In terms of number of league places lost under him, he's the worst by a country mile. Under his tenure we went from 44th in the league (bottom of Division 1) to 88th in the league (4th bottom of the league).

No other manager has lost us so many league places. Indeed, it is debatable whether any other manager will lose us that many league places ever again.

A sh*te manager who dragged us to the edge of the abyss, in playing and financial terms. It still causes me to fume in silent outrage whenever I hear his voice, being used as a professional "pundit". He's an unprofessional ****, at best.

mad.gif

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ May 04 2004,11:45)]It still causes me to fume in silent outrage whenever I hear his voice, being used as a professional "pundit".  He's an unprofessional ****, at best.

mad.gif

Matt
That winds me right up Matt. Any Southend fans ever called "You're on Sky Sports" and asked him what the f**k he knows about anything?

d**k Bates by far the worst to ever grace the dug out, absolutely f**king shocking.

3 of his signings for you
Richard Young
Chris ramsey
Eric Steele

Colin Murphy theres another c**t,
however I do remember him unearthing a little gem??

Apart from the fact that we've had this topic several times before, it's really so obvious that it was D-i-c-k Bate that it's not even worth the DBate (sorry about that pun, couldn't resist it).

Conceding FOURTEEN goals in TWO games is almost impossible however hard you try, but Bate achieved it. His comment to Vic Jobson after losing 8-1 to Gillingham - "Never mind, next time we'll win 9-8" was half-serious. After all, this was the man who invented wing-backs without realising that you needed 3, not 2, central defenders to play such a system.

And his (quite genuine) insistence when he took the squad training in Hockley Woods that they had to learn the names of all the trees really says it all....

Compared with Bate, Alvin the Chipmunk was a genius.

Whelan for me. Sloppy disinterested players playing for a sloppy disinterested too-big-for-this-cr*p manager. Wignall at least left us with some good players and Alvin Martin I would put in a similar camp to Newman - a good trier producing terrible output. d**k Bate was before my time but was his record that much worse than Bobby Moore's? And if a tree falls in the wood and nobody's there to hear it, does that make Duncan Jupp a total c**t?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CS Cockles @ May 04 2004,12:11)]d**k Bates by far the worst to ever grace the dug out, absolutely f**king shocking.

3 of his signings for you
Richard Young
Chris ramsey
Eric Steele
All Class. Mr Cockles.

Didn't we also narrowly lose to Gillingham 8-0 under him?

BTW: Us two agreeing? Now there's a shock
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (londonblue @ May 04 2004,13:51)]Didn't we also narrowly lose to Gillingham 8-0 under him?
If you'd read the entire thread you'd have seen it was 8-1. But Gillingham scored all 9 goals.

d**k Bate and Chris Ramsey a partnership made in heaven. 2 of the worst people that have ever walked down the tunnel at Roots Hall. a pair of A1 f**kwits

Peter Morris I don't reckon was all that. Wasn't he Bobby Moore's predecessor?

I think he was the one who brought in a load of "big-time" players, like Billy Kellock from Wolves and Glen Skivington from Derby (who had both played top flight football either earlier that season or the season before IIRC).

1983/4 season? I remember we had some cracking results... 6-0 at home v Brentford and 6-1 away v Sc**thorpe, and still got relegated! We only won 1 other away game all season against Lincoln, I think. Appalling.

Has to be Colin Murphy.
He inherited a good team added Stan Collymore but we were still useless because he wanted to play the long ball game.

Barry Fry took over when we seemed certain for relegation, got us playing football and we stayed up by winning 5 out of our last 9 games and at the end of the season we were as good as anyone in that division.
That team we had in that season (1992-93) was way too good to be down the bottom it was down to an appalling manager.

Then of course there was his legendary programme notes!!!

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I will NEVER forgive Dave Webb for getting us promoted to the first division and giving us the impression that we were anything other than a 2nd/3rd division team.
smile.gif

Prior to 90/91 I'd had it drilled into me that we were sh*t, other than the odd glory season in Div 4 and a potential big match every 3-4 years was adequate reward for following sh*t. They may have been sh*t but they were my sh*t and I loved them to death for it, and still do.

Ever since then I keep dreaming about the time we nearly became a top flight club. Anyone blaming Barry Fry for not staying and making that dream a reality doesn't know half the story behind his decision to go to Birmingham (other than the obvious money one).

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ May 04 2004,22:06)]Anyone blaming Barry Fry for not staying and making that dream a reality doesn't know half the story behind his decision to go to Birmingham (other than the obvious money one).
Prey do tell ORM. As i have a hatred for that man which i find disturbing. When i set eyes on the fat f**k in the Far Post against Hull i had to leave as i wanted to strangle the c**t.

Back