• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Worst Manager Ever

Worst Manager Ever?

• Dick Bate

• Ronnie Whelan

• Peter Morris

• Alvin Martin

• Bobby Moore

• Colin Murphy

• Steve Wignall

• Rob Newman

• Chris Powell

• Phil Brown

• Peter Taylor

• Kevin Bond

Results are only viewable after voting.
There is not much naivety in my analysis at all. I’m giving you numbers that are real.

Here’s another stat, on average we’ve had 57.5% of the ball overal. (I mean I question the accuracy but it’s numbers the bbc and the club publish).

It’s not optimism I’m giving. It’s numbers. I’m trying to put across another way of looking at it.

Averaging 12 shots a game and 57.5% of possession. On avarage 5 corners a game (not sure this shows much but suggests when we get into good areas).

Like I say in a previous post. Close shots that go wide or hit the post or bar are better to me than a ****e effort on target.

Just offering balance. However I don’t think I’m optimistic enough to counteract the bleakness of some people’s minds on this forum.

Possession means little in the modern game if it's not threatening or scoring. Huge teams such as Liverpool actively let you have the ball. I don't know what the answer is but holding onto the ball and offering no threat to the opposition isn't the answer. In crass terms, it's all foreplay....

1. Bate
2. Wignall
3. Morris
4. Martin
5. Murphy
6. Newman
7. Powell
8. Brown

.... with Bond set to enter the charts at No. 2 at the weekend
How can Brown be on that list?! He got us promoted and keep us up comfortably for two seasons. Not to mention changed Lenny from a utility player to a three time player of the year. Was also the one to put faith in our talented youngsters ie Bentley and Payne.
I get the fella loved himself more than Sol Campbell but he did a sterling job before his time was up.

1. Bate
2. Wignall
3. Morris
4. Martin
5. Murphy
6. Newman
7. Powell
8. Brown

.... with Bond set to enter the charts at No. 2 at the weekend

Wtf.... Brown our 8th worst Manager 2/3rd best look at the stats and achievements. Was he worse than Whelan, Sturrock, Taylor, Thompson and Taylor lol no!!

Also Newman should rank far higher!!

Possession means little in the modern game if it's not threatening or scoring. Huge teams such as Liverpool actively let you have the ball. I don't know what the answer is but holding onto the ball and offering no threat to the opposition isn't the answer. In crass terms, it's all foreplay....

I’ve just looked and Liverpool had 64% of the ball on average last season.

Whilst we can’t compare ourselves to Liverpool obviously what we need to do is to try and not just say anything.

EDIT 62%*

There is not much naivety in my analysis at all. I’m giving you numbers that are real.

Here’s another stat, on average we’ve had 57.5% of the ball overal. (I mean I question the accuracy but it’s numbers the bbc and the club publish).

It’s not optimism I’m giving. It’s numbers. I’m trying to put across another way of looking at it.

Averaging 12 shots a game and 57.5% of possession. On avarage 5 corners a game (not sure this shows much but suggests when we get into good areas).

Like I say in a previous post. Close shots that go wide or hit the post or bar are better to me than a ****e effort on target.

Just offering balance. However I don’t think I’m optimistic enough to counteract the bleakness of some people’s minds on this forum.
The only numbers/statistics that count is the final score.

I doubt Peterborough will have an easier away game all season, their goalkeeper didn’t have ONE save to make. Add that to our only league goal being an own goal and they are the stats that scare the crap out of me!

The only numbers/statistics that count is the final score.

I doubt Peterborough will have an easier away game all season, their goalkeeper didn’t have ONE save to make. Add that to our only league goal being an own goal and they are the stats that scare the crap out of me!

Fair comment. But I think they count for a bit more when looking at how we’re playing in general early on in the season. When analysing the managers plan. Or what we’re trying to do.

I think when you’re doing that you use more than the score. But you’re right they’re the only ones that count at the end.

We had 11 shots today. 10 on Saturday. 19 v Stevenage. 17 v Blackpool. 7 v Coventry.

I don't know if you saw all four league games, but stats can be used for any purpose you like.

Coventry, we didn't have an effort in the first half, and only started playing at 1-0 down. Of those seven shots, one hit the bar, one was a sitter headed wide and one was tipped over. The others were regulation.

Blackpool. How many were on target? I recall an early effort, but we didn't test their keeper until we were 3 down.

Lincoln. Two shots on target, both from distance. Nothing else to write home about. No shots on target until 3 down.

Today, I'd have kept a clean sheet. Of those 11 efforts, four were from distance from Mantom.

You can't win games playing like this. Something has to give.

I didn't see Bate (thankfully), for me Alvin Martin was the worst ever. Bond right now is running him close, I sincerely hope he can turn things around, but after tonight I'm very doubtful.

Last edited:
I don't know if you saw all four league games, but stats can be used for any purpose you like.

Coventry, we didn't have an effort in the first half, and only started playing at 1-0 down. Of those seven shots, one hit the bar, one was a sitter headed wide and one was tipped over. The others were regulation.

Blackpool. How many were on target? I recall an early effort, but we didn't test their keeper until we were 3 down.

Lincoln. Two shots on target, both from distance. Nothing else to write home about. No shots on target until 3 down.

Today, I'd have kept a clean sheet. Of those 11 efforts, four were from distance from Mantom.

You can't win games playing like this. Something has to give.

Yeah of course, I fully understand that. I was just saying those stats because GBJ said we couldn’t muster a shot from the way we were playing. Not true.

You can’t only use the stats that fuel your opinion.

Yes only a few on target. Yes quite a few off target. You can’t tell me that only on target shots are positive. And you also can’t say that shots off target are always rubbish.

I can’t remember Mantom having four shots. But I could be wrong. A few were long distance from Hamilton. I think one from Mantom. Could be wrong.

Yeah of course, I fully understand that. I was just saying those stats because GBJ said we couldn’t muster a shot from the way we were playing. Not true.

You can’t only use the stats that fuel your opinion.

Yes only a few on target. Yes quite a few off target. You can’t tell me that only on target shots are positive. And you also can’t say that shots off target are always rubbish.

I can’t remember Mantom having four shots. But I could be wrong. A few were long distance from Hamilton. I think one from Mantom. Could be wrong.

Replace "Mantom" with "blondish midfielder" and we'll both be happy. My eyes aren't great at this time of life.

Kevin Bond tactical master plan:

1. Take goal kicks short and sideways so we can get our player trapped in our corner under pressure.

2. Long, slooooowwwww passes across the front of our own penalty area are the best idea!

3. Faff about with the ball at the back for a while to pad the possession stats while achieving nothing at all. GK to CB to CB to Mid to CB back to GK, etc.

4. Then either A: Milligan gives the ball away needlessly in midfield or B: Hoof a hopeful 40 yard punt up for Elvis or Goodship to chase.

5. Play a left back and a centre forward as wingers. Ndukwu must be loving that he always comes on when we're 2 or more goals behind.

Bond needs to go ASAP or we are in for many more embarrassing losses.

There were many times we attacked with pace. It was not only just two or three times. Two great passes from Mantom to release Goodship. There were countless times Hamilton rampaged forward. Cox dropping in deep and collecting the ball.

Stats look healthy.

But we lost 2-0. Why? The system?

Did we lose 2-0 today because of the system and /or the manager?

I've only seen us once this season and that's tonight. I can only go from what I saw tonight but I only saw a few times where we passed though the midfield quickly and to good effect.

Alan little is way above Powell
Brown got us promoted so should be nowhere near the list...I didn't like him but never on a worst manager list.

Looking clearly like one of our better ones as things stand!

i do believe its 1 goal for and 10 against now
I think the poster I was quoting was referring to an 8-1 drubbing at Gillingham under Dick Bate where our goal was an own goal. It was a freaky co-incidence that that also mirrored this season's goal difference up to last night.

Easy to have a good percentage of possession when your area passing it around in circles in our third of the pitch. Awful football

Back