• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Worst Manager Ever

Worst Manager Ever?

• Dick Bate

• Ronnie Whelan

• Peter Morris

• Alvin Martin

• Bobby Moore

• Colin Murphy

• Steve Wignall

• Rob Newman

• Chris Powell

• Phil Brown

• Peter Taylor

• Kevin Bond

Results are only viewable after voting.
Kevin Bond tactical master plan:

1. Take goal kicks short and sideways so we can get our player trapped in our corner under pressure.

2. Long, slooooowwwww passes across the front of our own penalty area are the best idea!

3. Faff about with the ball at the back for a while to pad the possession stats while achieving nothing at all. GK to CB to CB to Mid to CB back to GK, etc.

4. Then either A: Milligan gives the ball away needlessly in midfield or B: Hoof a hopeful 40 yard punt up for Elvis or Goodship to chase.

5. Play a left back and a centre forward as wingers. Ndukwu must be loving that he always comes on when we're 2 or more goals behind.

Bond needs to go ASAP or we are in for many more embarrassing losses.

Absolutely spot on

On the plus side I do actually believe we have a strong squad. Hamilton looked useful, Goodship looks like he has an eye for goal, we know Cox and Hunphries are more than decent. Ralph also looks useful. We have some good players coming back from injury. On the minus side they look very short of confidence and genuinely confused by the system they are being asked to play. I do believe Bond has lost the dressing room and this has echoes of the Dick Bate era which I was unlucky enough to witness. Paul Clarke spoke a lot of sense in his match summary on BBC Essex last night. I believe it’s only a matter of time before Ron swings the axe. At least it’s still early in the season!

Easy to have a good percentage of possession when your area passing it around in circles in our third of the pitch. Awful football

But that’s the whole point of it. If a team has more of the ball they’re more likely to win a game.

Like I said before - On average this season we’ve had 58% of the ball, on average 12 shots a game and 5 corners a game.

Not really a sign of a team who and I quote “don’t have a plan” “only play sideways in our own third” and “can’t muster a single shot.”

Sure the results have been dire. But to say last night was awful football - is a very iffy comment.

How should we play do you think?

It was embar
But that’s the whole point of it. If a team has more of the ball they’re more likely to win a game.

Like I said before - On average this season we’ve had 58% of the ball, on average 12 shots a game and 5 corners a game.

Not really a sign of a team who and I quote “don’t have a plan” “only play sideways in our own third” and “can’t muster a single shot.”

Sure the results have been dire. But to say last night was awful football - is a very iffy comment.

It wasn't awful. It was embarrassing! You must enjoy losing. I don't.

We do have a plan. The players just aren’t good enough. You can afford to carry 1 or 2 when you’re trying a whole new system but we’re carrying 8 or 9 and he’s gotta realise that fast or it will cost him his job. Results business and all that

I haven’t seen you give a single bit of analysis or how you think we should play. All you do is give abuse or just say things are awful and embarrassing without anything backing it up.

- We've lost 4 league games on the trot with ease.
- we play a deep line putting no opposition under pressure
- players playing out of position
- one upfront with no pace to get behind causing the opposition to push high without worry.
- slow to get the ball forward.
- trying to pass in dangerous areas
- no consistency. Chop and changing players/tactics.
.....I could go on but I think most people understand and can see the rubbish and basic mistakes infront of them.

Kevin Bond must go now!

We do have a plan. The players just aren’t good enough. You can afford to carry 1 or 2 when you’re trying a whole new system but we’re carrying 8 or 9 and he’s gotta realise that fast or it will cost him his job. Results business and all that

I know I’m seeming like I think everything is rosey. I don’t think that I’m just trying to look at it all.

Possession stats would suggest we’re getting there? If we were trying the same way and possession was always less than 50% then I could accept it.

I liked the way Sturrock used to play. Get the ball forward and play high up the pitch. But people used to hate that style too even when we were winning.

I don’t think some people actually know how they want us to play.

- We've lost 4 league games on the trot with ease.
- we play a deep line putting no opposition under pressure
- players playing out of position
- one upfront with no pace to get behind causing the opposition to push high without worry.
- slow to get the ball forward.
- trying to pass in dangerous areas
- no consistency. Chop and changing players/tactics.
.....I could go on but I think most people understand and can see the rubbish and basic mistakes infront of them.

Kevin Bond must go now!

You didn’t say how you’d like us to play which is what I’m interested in.

We have been pressing the ball a lot more since Bond came in. We do play a deep line in possession because we want to keep the ball.

We’ve been trying to play the same tactic though so far. We haven’t changed it.

So last nights basic mistakes what were they in your opinion? What cost us the game?

I know I’m seeming like I think everything is rosey. I don’t think that I’m just trying to look at it all.

Possession stats would suggest we’re getting there? If we were trying the same way and possession was always less than 50% then I could accept it.

I liked the way Sturrock used to play. Get the ball forward and play high up the pitch. But people used to hate that style too even when we were winning.

No we aren't getting there. Nearly 50% possession that is nearly all in your own half isn't getting there. Open your eyes

Last edited:
It wasn't awful. It was embarrassing! You must enjoy losing. I don't.
I know it’s a frustrating moment, but can we raise the game a bit here and debate OBD’s points? Highly unlikely he enjoys losing.

Fair play to him for putting over a different viewpoint, especially after four demoralising defeats. Takes some balls given the way some of you are going at him.

We all want what’s best for this club.

What game was u watching? We passed the ball around really well and looks like we will get better sooner rather then later! There was some signs of a good team there
Yes for about 5 passes backwards....How many times did the passing break down in dangerous areas last night....The players simply aren't up to the system he has in mind.One og in four ,9 conceded and no points after a full pre season is shocking .Bond has said it will take time....unfortunately you can't have it in a results driven business where the paying customer stays away

Possession is the single biggest BS stat in all of football. I could coach an U11's side to sit deep and knock it around the back four when they're 2-0 down. Peterborough were laughing they didn't need to defend the lead we never attacked it. The key to possession is where you have the possession...

The key stat from last night was 0 shots on target.
The keeper made his only "save" from Milligan around 85mins into the game.

You didn’t say how you’d like us to play which is what I’m interested in.

We have been pressing the ball a lot more since Bond came in. We do play a deep line in possession because we want to keep the ball.

We’ve been trying to play the same tactic though so far. We haven’t changed it.

So last nights basic mistakes what were they in your opinion? What cost us the game?

Just a few basic ones which would be a start.....

We need to get the ball behind the opposition defence onto runners.

Stop passing it in dangerous areas increasing possibility for mistakes.

We need to push the defence up so not to invite
pressure.

Increase tempo. The football is far too slow it doesn't cause the opposition any problems.

I know it’s a frustrating moment, but can we raise the game a bit here and debate OBD’s points? Highly unlikely he enjoys losing.

Fair play to him for putting over a different viewpoint, especially after four demoralising defeats. Takes some balls given the way some of you are going at him.

We all want what’s best for this club.

Fair play, apologies OBD.

Bond and Redknapp took charge at Birmingham with a few games left in a season, they managed to stay up with a result on the last day. They then signed about six or seven players, started the next season without a win in the first half a dozen or so games. Then they were sacked, afterwards, Harry said "we signed some good players for the club"
Seems familiar????

1. Bate
2. Wignall
3. Morris
4. Martin
5. Murphy
6. Newman
7. Powell
8. Brown

.... with Bond set to enter the charts at No. 2 at the weekend
Amazed that you put Brown in that list,until he lost the dressing room in part to Ranger and the players downed tools.... thought he was definitely one of the better ones .Always had a decent defence and midfield...his only failing being he used to defend a lead instead of extending it.Would have him instead of Bond any day

Fair play, apologies OBD.

Salright, I’m used to it.
Just trying to look at things differently, because I find the positivity works...

I just think, yeah, again it’s fine margins. We’ve been beat in two minutes.

I’m in no way blaming Shaugnessy for the first goal because it was a good cross. But another day, it’s lennon or John white there and they get a foot on it or they boss the second goal.

Also on another day Goodship scores two.

In our current situation I personally think we’re better off at looking at the positives of yesterday’s game. If we improve on the positives then we’ve got a couple of goals on Saturday.

Yes, we must look at the bad bits too. Obviously. But I’m just not sure that tactics stopped us from winning yesterday.

Make the positives better we win.
Make the negatives better we keep a clean sheet.

Do you see what I mean?
I’m not just saying everything is great.

But improve on the positives. 1% better every day. In 100 days you’re 100% better. Sort of...

Life coaching available now. ;)

Back