• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Worst Manager Ever

Worst Manager Ever?

• Dick Bate

• Ronnie Whelan

• Peter Morris

• Alvin Martin

• Bobby Moore

• Colin Murphy

• Steve Wignall

• Rob Newman

• Chris Powell

• Phil Brown

• Peter Taylor

• Kevin Bond

Results are only viewable after voting.
Going back to Dick Bate, he came to the club with impeccable coaching qualifications. In fact, when you look at what he had done before he came to the club and where he had been involved, appointing him wasn't perhaps as stupid as it seemed as a look at his Wikipedia page will reveal:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Bate

But decent coaching qualifications don't make for a successful manager, as I fear is the case with Kevin Bond.

I am going to go for Ronnie Whelan.

Took the most expensive assembled squad we have ever had down without a whimper.

IMHO bond is currently behind Martin, Wignall and Bate in the worst manager stakes , Murphy is in front solely because he signed Stan...but at this stage in their tenure they are very similar , Moore being considered better is pretty damning really

Of the managers who oversaw a Relegation , I would say that Smith , Tilson and Rowley were the only ones who were not poor

Alcoholics don’t make good managers. see Bobby Moore

Though I would not disagree re Bobby Moore managerial skills, he had one of the darkest periods to manager Southend Utd, I think even a Saint could not have produced a miracle to make things better in them very very dark days

IMHO bond is currently behind Martin, Wignall and Bate in the worst manager stakes , Murphy is in front solely because he signed Stan...but at this stage in their tenure they are very similar , Moore being considered better is pretty damning really

Of the managers who oversaw a Relegation , I would say that Smith , Tilson and Rowley were the only ones who were not poor
I am sure that Rowleys first full season , Southend lost there first four games .

I can understand why he's so well regarded by Arry and co as a number 2/scout just from the players he's brought over. However from watching the team play this year under him as actual team manager I do not believe its the correct role for him. Tactics are horrible and his man management seems equally as poor.

I am sure that Rowleys first full season , Southend lost there first four games .

2 draws 4 defeats and a league cup defeat followed by 3 wins another 4 defeats and another 3 wins peaking with a 3-0 defeat at Newport on 15 Jan 71 - Newport’s first win of the season.

Yes for about 5 passes backwards....How many times did the passing break down in dangerous areas

Increase tempo. The football is far too slow it doesn't cause the opposition any problems.

This is what is fundamentally wrong with our attack.

It’s slow, ponderous, and negative.

We get the ball out wide, pass it inside, pass it outside, then back to defence.

Nobody is bursting forward from midfield into the box, so we don’t cross it. Nobody runs off of a defender, so we hold it out wide.

We try and play neat little triangles in the corner, and either lose it, or play it back towards defence.

I’d suggest Bond has instructed them to retain possession at all costs, even if it means slowing an attack down and starting again.

I'm looking forward to the 8-1 already, at least we'll score a goal!

It was an OG....

How can Brown be on that list?!

Because he's the one who got us into this downward spiral. He inherited a strong squad but built his foundations on sand and we're now paying the price for his profligacy in not fixing the roof when the sun was shining.

What players did Brown leave to build around from the Bentley or Lenny windfalls? Just 18 months on and Cox is the only one of his signings who's started more than half the matches this season. Someone like Corr was still a key figure in the play-off win and the likes of Leonard and Timlin were still in the midfield 4 years(!) after Sturrock had gone.

And that's not because any of his signings have been sold to bring in much needed revenue (we haven't got a penny back on a single player he signed), nor because any of the subsequent managers have released anyone he signed who could be doing an appreciably better job for us now.

His legacy was us having to pay off Kightly and Anton Ferdinand's contracts, it's McLaughlin and Theo Robinson hanging around the squad on fat contracts, it's Kiernan on a massive contract when he's been unfit for 23 of his 25 months here.

Ultimately we've been unable to permanently extract ourselves from the hole Brown left us in 18 months ago. Powell and then Bond temporarily had us crawl out but we keep sliding back in. When we freed ourselves of Brown we had lost 8 of our last 9, conceding at least 2 goals in 8 of them. We're back in the same hole Brown created for the third time in three years.

On the plus side I do actually believe we have a strong squad. Hamilton looked useful, Goodship looks like he has an eye for goal, we know Cox and Hunphries are more than decent. Ralph also looks useful. We have some good players coming back from injury. On the minus side they look very short of confidence and genuinely confused by the system they are being asked to play. I do believe Bond has lost the dressing room and this has echoes of the Dick Bate era which I was unlucky enough to witness. Paul Clarke spoke a lot of sense in his match summary on BBC Essex last night. I believe it’s only a matter of time before Ron swings the axe. At least it’s still early in the season!

Worryingly I think it echoes the Alvin Martin era. Like Chipmunk, Bond has also inherited a poor squad in need of rebuilding and like Chipmunk, Bond also tried to get us playing the W*** H** "academy of football" way out from the back with dangerous Dave Morley, played systems the players weren't comfortable with and it didn't work.

Bond and Martin are of the same era - they are only 11 months apart in age.

I hope I'm wrong.

- we play a deep line putting no opposition under pressure

Our back line was all over the place. At times Lennon was trying to play a high line and Shaughnessy was trying to play a deep line.

But another day, it’s lennon or John white there and they get a foot on it or they boss the second goal.

That first goal sums up so much of what is wrong with our club at the moment. White was trotting back with no urgency and completely failed to close down his man. With the exception of Elvis and a couple of isolated examples (Hamilton raced back once) nobody is busting a gut to get back or to get forward. It's all so half-hearted.

It was an OG....

Because he's the one who got us into this downward spiral. He inherited a strong squad but built his foundations on sand and we're now paying the price for his profligacy in not fixing the roof when the sun was shining.

What players did Brown leave to build around from the Bentley or Lenny windfalls? Just 18 months on and Cox is the only one of his signings who's started more than half the matches this season. Someone like Corr was still a key figure in the play-off win and the likes of Leonard and Timlin were still in the midfield 4 years(!) after Sturrock had gone.

And that's not because any of his signings have been sold to bring in much needed revenue (we haven't got a penny back on a single player he signed), nor because any of the subsequent managers have released anyone he signed who could be doing an appreciably better job for us now.

His legacy was us having to pay off Kightly and Anton Ferdinand's contracts, it's McLaughlin and Theo Robinson hanging around the squad on fat contracts, it's Kiernan on a massive contract when he's been unfit for 23 of his 25 months here.

Ultimately we've been unable to permanently extract ourselves from the hole Brown left us in 18 months ago. Powell and then Bond temporarily had us crawl out but we keep sliding back in. When we freed ourselves of Brown we had lost 8 of our last 9, conceding at least 2 goals in 8 of them. We're back in the same hole Brown created for the third time in three years.

Come Yorkshire don't let yourself down over PB.....Again.

He didn't get to spend a penny of the £3m he raised from sales. Lenny was a going nowhere RB when PB arrived and Payne was unheard of.

McL was a great player under Brown and Cox kept us in L1 last season.

We had a maximum wage of £1500 per week in L2 which is why we could never sign that mythical 20 goal a season striker. The only way we could achieve promotion was team spirit and hard work through fitness.

Tilson, Webb and Smith all had money to buy players when they were L2 level but PB spent this £150,000 on B&L.......We still benefit from that as we speak.

How we could do with some 'clean sheets' right now.......As for the great we were to defensive myth.......Tilsons title winning side scored 72 goals that season.....The closest any other manager has come to that in L1 level would be PB's team that finished 7th with 70 goals.....Thats just 2 behind Tilly

That 8-1 was defeat? It was indeed an own goal. Then there was the 7-0 defeat away at Sunderland as well.

Back