• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Worst moments as Shrimpers

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
Obviously that goal-kick routine is right up (down?) there but what other classic Southend moments are there?

The free-kick routine during the Peter Taylor era when two players ran into each other and Watford broke away and scored (was that the full-back playing up front who scored a hattrick as well?)

Adam Barrett in the Col Ewe sand pit which summed up the end of the Tilly era

Mel Capelton picking up the back pass at the tail end of the Alvin Martin era

2-0 up and cruising v Oxford, Leo Roget gets sent off for looking like Jerone Boere and we collapse to a 2-2 draw and get relegated

Kevin Maher trying to professional foul the Boston/Darlington player clean through on the half way line and missing (was that under Little or Wignall?)

Doncaster at home last year. Knew we were bad and a lost cause, but playing in front of a new manager there was hope that they’d turn up and instead it was our heaviest home defeat in decades. Humiliating and a real sign that we’d be in the mess we’re in now.

Last edited:
I don't remember that but that's not to say it didn't happen.

You don't remember that? That was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. I think it was Greg Heald who scored the oggie and he was a former team mate of Carruthers. Carruthers went over and kissed him in celebration and he didn't take it well and a brawl broke out and they were both sent off.

You don't remember that? That was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. I think it was Greg Heald who scored the oggie and he was a former team mate of Carruthers. Carruthers went over and kissed him in celebration and he didn't take it well and a brawl broke out and they were both sent off.

Didn't Roget also chase them down the tunnel to get involved in the scrap?

Now you expand on it, it does sound familiar. But it's not that surprising that I am not sure as at my age there are whole periods of Southend history that have been wiped from the memory.

It's usually ex-players who I don't ever remember seeing play when they made multiple appearances, and as I have hardly missed a home game since 1980 I MUST have seen them on numerous occasions but still don't recall them.

And yet I remember Mike Angus.

Orient away February 2004. Two own goals (both by Southend strikers wtf) and a missed penalty conspire to turn a 1-0 half time lead into a 2-1 defeat.

Tes Bramble’s half volley into the top corner remains a finish of transcendent beauty.

My least favourite Southend moment was Lee Barnard’s Friday night hat-trick.

Back