• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Worst moments as Shrimpers

I think the pure embarrassment of supporting Southend since Kevin Bond took permanent charge. We have never looked like winning a game since.

The jibes and mockery from my mates, most of whom are Prem supporters, I cannot stand hearing it any longer.

I think most of us can agree that we just want a club to be proud of and at the moment, there's very little pride left at Southend.

Start of season 1987/88, dire. Notably the 8-1 drubbing at Gills and 6-2 defeat at Notts County the following Saturday

I think the pure embarrassment of supporting Southend since Kevin Bond took permanent charge. We have never looked like winning a game since.

The jibes and mockery from my mates, most of whom are Prem supporters, I cannot stand hearing it any longer.

I think most of us can agree that we just want a club to be proud of and at the moment, there's very little pride left at Southend.
Funnily enough that makes me prouder to wear the shirt .. I’ve always had to deal with West Ham and Spurs fans mocking my team but when we’re going well they all want to come to RH, as few of them actually go to games regularly. Personally, I couldn’t give a rats arse about their little digs.

Funnily enough that makes me prouder to wear the shirt .. I’ve always had to deal with West Ham and Spurs fans mocking my team but when we’re going well they all want to come to RH, as few of them actually go to games regularly. Personally, I couldn’t give a rats arse about their little digs.
I never have been that bothered but it's slowly wearing me down now. Just want to see us go a few games unbeaten, even if most of those games were draws.

I never have been that bothered but it's slowly wearing me down now. Just want to see us go a few games unbeaten, even if most of those games were draws.
I do hear what you’re saying. It’s the mockery of Col Ewe and Orient fans I’m dreading. Luckily, not many in Leigh on Sea :)

Away at Scarborough FA cup - mid week. We lost if we had won we would have faced Chelsea!
The worst feeling was getting on the most uncomfortable coach on way home, the over reaction of the Scarborough fans knowing that I had a 6 hour journey back. I had work in London next day and had about 2 hours sleep!

Away at Scarborough FA cup - mid week. We lost if we had won we would have faced Chelsea!
The worst feeling was getting on the most uncomfortable coach on way home, the over reaction of the Scarborough fans knowing that I had a 6 hour journey back. I had work in London next day and had about 2 hours sleep!
I can add to that night. It was a mild night when we left Southend but rthe temperature soon dropped - I bought a fleece at the Services! My half-time cup of tea had a pinhole - it was too hot to drink so I had to watch the refreshability of it drip away, then my pasty had no filling. Got home about 0300, in work @ 0600 to hear "Oh, Southend lost then. Did you go? (snigger). Ah well...

Start of season 1987/88, dire. Notably the 8-1 drubbing at Gills and 6-2 defeat at Notts County the following Saturday
2 points from our first 8 games that season and we managed to stay up.
1987/8 was one of our worst ever starts until last season of course.

I can add to that night. It was a mild night when we left Southend but rthe temperature soon dropped - I bought a fleece at the Services! My half-time cup of tea had a pinhole - it was too hot to drink so I had to watch the refreshability of it drip away, then my pasty had no filling. Got home about 0300, in work @ 0600 to hear "Oh, Southend lost then. Did you go? (snigger). Ah well...
Made me laugh after a crap day

A few low points at SUFC when Ron Martin stepped in, this old SZ thread here..

Hull City away in the Championship. We never had a shot and i'm pretty sure it was 0-3 without checking stats, again without checking i'm thinking Windass done us like a kipper.
We all sat there, big Southend following that day, numb. Absolutely toilet.

I guess there are a few, especially from the last few seasons. I don't think things have ever been as bad on the playing side of things during my time supporting the club as they are right now, so this is probably the lowest for me. 1-7 vs. Donny last season, 0-4 against Harrogate and numerous goals conceded in between as a result of Sunday League defending/players not giving a ****/both. I've seen a few relegations, almost going out of business in 2010, bottom of the Football League a couple of times in 03/04 and 04/05. But I never had the feeling at those points that I do now, of our status as a Football League club being in serious peril.

That being said, this Hull game was pretty awful. General situation was light years away from where we are now yet this Hull match (a 4-0 away loss) left me feeling about as low as I can remember as an SUFC fan. We had a good run of results leading up to the match and had given ourselves a good chance of surviving.....and then this happened. I'd gone to Sunderland a few weeks before and watched us lose 4-0 too but that was water off a duck's back as Sunderland were top, smashing it and streets ahead of us in terms of quality. But this one was against against a fellow (and very poor) relegation rival. The only match I can think of where I've left upset/almost in tears. Frustration more than anything. I think the thing that got me was that the players just gave up. You could see the fight leave them. I felt so let down having travelled all that way to support them. We were all but relegated that day in my eyes, despite the Preston match the following week.

The start of 1987-88 with Bate as manager takes some beating, think the 8-1 at the Priestfield ****hole was the worst. As an 11 year old going to one of his first away matches (my cousin lived in Maidstone and came along) .. I was devastated and only felt better when Chesterfield then lost 10-0 there. My favourite player (Richard Cadette) had been sold to Sheff Utd in the summer and it felt like the end of the world. We escaped relegation that season which gives me vague hope we’ll be fine again ?

There are genuinely too many to remember, so I’ll go for one that’s outside the box.

I remember that feeling of being sat inside Wembley Stadium around the 118th minute of the play-off final, just feeling utterly deflated. I kept repeating to myself, why is it always us? Why can’t we ever get that slice of luck. Why can’t we perform *just once* in a big game.

I ****ing hated Wycombe at that moment too. Their club, their fans, they could all get to ****, for all I cared. I was beyond jealous.

All I could think was, why do I bother? This club builds your hopes up, and as regularly as clockwork, they come crashing down like a tonne of bricks. That was easily one of the lowest feelings I’ve ever had following this club.

The rest of that moment is a bit of a blur now, to be truthful.

But, every time I think about it, it’s always accompanied with those words “last minute... last minute”.

Last edited:
Back