• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Worst moments as Shrimpers

Start of season 1987/88, dire. Notably the 8-1 drubbing at Gills and 6-2 defeat at Notts County the following Saturday

This ones been mentioned a couple of times and I tend to agree. Dire, absolutely dire. I went on the supporters coach and for some reason it really cut deep with me as we approached the toll booths on the way home at the tunnel. Mates absolutely ripped into me when I got in the pub. To rub salt in the wound I seem to recall someone eventually sprayed the result on the back of the North Bank wall.
I also did the away games at Notts County and Port Vale thinking it couldn't get much worse - but it did...

I do hear what you’re saying. It’s the mockery of Col Ewe and Orient fans I’m dreading. Luckily, not many in Leigh on Sea :)

The worst thing is, for me it has gone beyond mockery. Most of my mates are now genuinely sympathetic and greet me with a hand on the shoulder, a thin smile and a cocked head when they see the latest Blues result. Mocking us feels wrong, like booting an injured puppy.

If we are still around as a functioning club, there will be people back in this thread next year complaining about losses to Boreham Wood, Weymouth, and Chesterfield while we hover around 19th in the conference.

Our worst moment was I thought going bust.
But now I would prefer that than Ron make his millions from the crappy flats.

What he has done to this club, i hope it all falls through for him.....don't know the consequences but although M.M looks like a poor tactician, but if bull sh it Bill had given him some sort of chance then me might have won a few games.......Acquah up front on his own....do me a favour he's useless but that is what we have to endure every game and of course the other crab like nonsense in our own half!

The worst thing is, for me it has gone beyond mockery. Most of my mates are now genuinely sympathetic and greet me with a hand on the shoulder, a thin smile and a ****ed head when they see the latest Blues result. Mocking us feels wrong, like booting an injured puppy.

Especially Leyton Orient fans have been pointing out similarities between our current season and their season in 2016-17 under their previous owner Becchetti where their players weren't being paid and they were relegated that season.

Especially Leyton Orient fans have been pointing out similarities between our current season and their season in 2016-17 under their previous owner Becchetti where their players weren't being paid and they were relegated that season.

I remember it well, my cousin is an O's fan and I had genuine sympathy for them that season, it wasn't nice to watch even as a rival club. I remember the EFL pretty much stood by and watched, almost like they wanted a problem club off their hands, and I think they feel the same way about us.

I remember thinking Ron may be totally hapless and a bit of a cad but at least he wasn't a Becchetti. However, Ron has really stepped things up a notch these last few years.

MM is forced to play kids against 6'3" experienced professionals.

What tactical changes would you suggest?
Try going forwards instead of across the pitch all game.....the players are not good enough to play it out from the back and that was the worst performance I have ever seen.....desperate for points and all they do is look back...pathetic, what do they do in training, surely don’t use a goal net?

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet but personally the worst moments for me as Southend fan was the infighting between our own fans away at both Northampton and Oxford. Shameful stuff!

The second worst was the 2005 Grimsby game, both on the pitch and afterwards running the gauntlet to get back to the car without being jumped which we managed to do. Others weren't so lucky.

Last edited:
Wycombe away on radio. Parked car - 3-2 up on car radio. Got in front door, turned radio on - 4-3 down!

Coming out of a pub in Lincoln (Tilly was their manager) after a great session with Lincoln lads to find a mob of Southend and Lincoln chaps having it everywhere in the high street,,a big low for me following the Shrimpers.

Yeovil, FA Cup round one, November 16, 1963.

Back in the day, a winning non-league side over a Football League team was a rarity.
I persuaded Pop it would be a chance to see us massacre a bunch of amateur yokels.
The journey was close to five hours, and when they scored I still thought we would at least salvage a draw.
The following day I pored over the rest of round one's results hoping we weren't the only 'giant' killed.
We were.
It took until Monday before Kettering won a replay at Millwall.

Recently, and because I committed them to memory, I started collecting every round one programme from that day, and am still five short.
But the one that's ALWAYS available on Ebay and the like is Yeovil v Southend: the one I sorrowfully brought home on the day.

PS. I got used to us losing to non-league after that...:Cry:

Back