• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Worst moments as Shrimpers

my dad always went on about being knocked out of the cup by non league Yeovil. An utter disgrace I seem to remember him saying.

from the club website, "Despite an influx of new players for the 1963/4 season in the form of Jimmy Conway, Benny Friel, Bobby Gilfillan, Bobby King and Malcolm Slater the Blues struggled to gel and finished in the bottom half. A poor season was highlighted by an FA Cup first round exit at the hands of non-league Yeovil Town. The club also finished the season with significant debts of £42,000 with gates down by an average of 1,500 people per game".

my dad always went on about being knocked out of the cup by non league Yeovil. An utter disgrace I seem to remember him saying.

from the club website, "Despite an influx of new players for the 1963/4 season in the form of Jimmy Conway, Benny Friel, Bobby Gilfillan, Bobby King and Malcolm Slater the Blues struggled to gel and finished in the bottom half. A poor season was highlighted by an FA Cup first round exit at the hands of non-league Yeovil Town. The club also finished the season with significant debts of £42,000 with gates down by an average of 1,500 people per game".
I don’t know your dads age,but I’d suspect he was referring to our original non-league defeat to Yeovil some five years earlier.Also 1-0 -replay after 0-0 at the Hall.

Thanks. You're right I think. I know I didn't see it. I would have been about 6. His favourite word after a particularly dire display was "tripe" as in "I'm never going to watch that tripe again". Of course he did. He's long gone but I'm sure he'll be using the same words sitting on his cloud as we speak.

One possible reason for the drop in gates was the football shutdown in the winter of 1963.
Everybody was itching to get back once it thawed.
Let me see...no football, and people wanting a return to how it used to be.
Can't imagine that happening in modern times...

In passing, that 62-66 striped shirt was still the best. I await its reincarnation.

Have to admit probably the Harrogate game this season. A real eye opener for how tough this season was going to be.

Reactions: Jcd
Thanks. You're right I think. I know I didn't see it. I would have been about 6. His favourite word after a particularly dire display was "tripe" as in "I'm never going to watch that tripe again". Of course he did. He's long gone but I'm sure he'll be using the same words sitting on his cloud as we speak.
Maybe hes up there having a pint with mine.
His favourite was as we walked out of roots hall "thats it, im never coming here again".
By the next friday he had always picked up tickets for us for saturdays game :).

Maybe hes up there having a pint with mine.
His favourite was as we walked out of roots hall "thats it, im never coming here again".
By the next friday he had always picked up tickets for us for saturdays game :).

Yes, my Dad too - I don't remember him saying that we wouldn't go again but I have often wondered lately what he would make of the current situation, same as the rest of us I guess.

Tonight is right up there for me. Reminded me a lot of the Boston Utd 2-0 defeat early in the 2003/04 season. Another Tuesday night game. We missed a penalty (Juppy) I think. Neither team deserved to win, but Boston managed it.

It turned out to be a turning point - Tilly came in, steadied the ship, we headed off to the LDV later that season and what followed after that were some of the most brilliant moments of our history.

Lets hope tonight will be a turning point, because my goodness we need one!

I remember an absolutely ****ing freezing midweek match against (I think) Bury 10 or maybe more years ago. I came away saying it was the coldest I'd ever been at a match, and it was the worst game I'd ever seen at Roots Hall. Tonight may not have been anywhere near as cold, but the football was considerably worse. On the way out I spared a thought for Bury and thought at least we still have a club.

edit: Actually, I think it was vs Bradford, Dec 2011, but still...

Last edited:
After 58yrs of going to Roots Hall today is the worst I have ever felt after a match. It feels as if the very soul has been ripped out of the club and I'm angry, so bloody angry. Even before a ball was kicked last night the whole atmosphere outside the ground felt wrong, bollocks to the carbon footprint get some programme sellers out there and at least make it feel like we are arriving at a football match.
I could rant on here about how I feel the club is run, clearly the DoF and CEO are just human shields for the chairman to hide behind, but I'm saying no more as I run the risk of making the swear filter explode

Back