• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

OBL has explained on numerous occasions so why should she have to give more details to you. If her information doesn't fit your preconceived theory then maybe, just maybe its you that got things wrong.

As I said, I was curious; I don't have a preconceived theory. The pitch being quite important to a football club and us having one which is barely fit for purpose, I wondered if she could add anything more to what she has "explained on numerous occasions". Of course she doesn't "have to" give more details to me or anyone else and if she is unable or unwilling to do so she is more than capable of saying so herself.

As I said, I was curious; I don't have a preconceived theory. The pitch being quite important to a football club and us having one which is barely fit for purpose, I wondered if she could add anything more to what she has "explained on numerous occasions". Of course she doesn't "have to" give more details to me or anyone else and if she is unable or unwilling to do so she is more than capable of saying so herself.

Come on you know the rules. Never ask a lady the finer details....Age, weight is her sister better looking etc.:winking:

No its not the worst pitch at Roots hall ever .

I have seen home matches played on far worse pitches, Some on here will have seen the famous Man City game and from what I can gather the pitch between 1920 and 1950 was a right tip.....

I have seen home matches played on far worse pitches, Some on here will have seen the famous Man City game and from what I can gather the pitch between 1920 and 1950 was a right tip.....
Does it matter about the state of the pitch , it should be a leveller for both teams , the problem is we are being beaten by crap teams on a crap pitch .

the pitch is deceptive. because it can be tarted up before a game and looks like a decent pitch at the start of a game, people dont really realise quite how bad it is. it has entered the players heads and it changes their thought processes and decisions. its probably linking in with the number of muscle injuries being suffered, and its fatiguing. ive been told its like playing on sand, sapping on the legs and not able to trust your footing. it doesnt run true with a ball and it bobbles when you least expect it. there was an incident in the first half where JD was running up the right to put a cross in and the ball bobbled just as he went to play the cross and the ball basically ended up hitting the scoreboard. i could see it had bobbled, but a few 'choice' people around me either couldnt or more likely didnt want to and started shouting abuse at him. what does that solve? now hes less likely to try it again and like all the players is more likely to play safer passes he can keep under better control.

people may not like it, but a LOT of allowances have to be made for players using that pitch. For those arguing that its the same for both sides, it is, how could it not be, but in a one off game on the pitch youre a lot less likely to pander to it and let it effect your game.

Their keeper tried to take a quick goal kick to one of his defenders, first half yesterday and slipped but managed to stop himself at the last second. Some in the east accused him of time wasting but he was replacing one of those divots that any tartan flares wearing Jock on the Wembley pitch in 1977 would have been proud of.

I was there that day selling hats, scarves, flags and Rosettes down Wembley Way. I've never been so insulted in all my life, Lol. Most Jocks were well tanked up. They were throwing bottles and beer cans at the English. They had lots of 'Remember Bannockburn' banners. The hatred for the English is caused by the history of how bad they were treated hundreds of years ago. It's drummed into them at school. Even Andy Murray once famously said he would support whoever England were playing against. But of course, when it suited, he wanted the English support. We don't see them the same way, and most down here don't know about the battles between Scotland and England hundreds of years ago.
They really was a tartan army that day. Even Rod Stewart got on the pitch.
3A43ED8000000578-3927302-image-a-41_1478869069383.jpg

The pitch is so bad I bet the players are worried about sliding through dog dirt or a burned out moped every time they go in for a tackle

This has been done to death on here - it's not the growing season, what do you possibly expect to be done in the middle of January?

Once it hadn't improved in November, it was clear that we would be stuck with it.
Actually something can be done, but it’s probably far too expensive.http://sglconcept.com/en/about-us.html
i did a tour of old Trafford in the winter and they had special lights on it, which meant it was still growing.

hindsight is a wonderful thing, but once we knew about the delay the real question is should we have still gone ahead? From memory the weather has been “normal” so it looks like either
something went wrong
we were wrongfully advised ( or even lied to)
we didn’t consider not going ahead
we understood the risks but took a gamble that didn’t work.

simply blaming it on the delay doesn’t wash with me, there was still a decision to be made on what to do

Actually something can be done, but it’s probably far too expensive.http://sglconcept.com/en/about-us.html
i did a tour of old Trafford in the winter and they had special lights on it, which meant it was still growing.

hindsight is a wonderful thing, but once we knew about the delay the real question is should we have still gone ahead? From memory the weather has been “normal” so it looks like either
something went wrong
we were wrongfully advised ( or even lied to)
we didn’t consider not going ahead
we understood the risks but took a gamble that didn’t work.

simply blaming it on the delay doesn’t wash with me, there was still a decision to be made on what to do

Grass continues to grow all year round, it's just that when temperatures drop below around 5C it grows so slowly that it might as well not be growing. The temperatures didn't get that low until around December time. The pitch should have been getting better up to that point. Obviously having players ruining it in the mean time hasn't helped.

The delay in the summer was no doubt the cause, but it seems to me there was plenty of time to put that right, and that's ignoring the decision making issue in the summer.

We've all seen the size of the lumps of pitch that come up every week. Growing slowly will mean that any small root systems that have managed to start forming will be ripped apart and the process starts again.

Plastic Jock.... Rod Stewart born and raised in London ,England.....
I was there that day selling hats, scarves, flags and Rosettes down Wembley Way. I've never been so insulted in all my life, Lol. Most Jocks were well tanked up. They were throwing bottles and beer cans at the English. They had lots of 'Remember Bannockburn' banners. The hatred for the English is caused by the history of how bad they were treated hundreds of years ago. It's drummed into them at school. Even Andy Murray once famously said he would support whoever England were playing against. But of course, when it suited, he wanted the English support. We don't see them the same way, and most down here don't know about the battles between Scotland and England hundreds of years ago.
They really was a tartan army that day. Even Rod Stewart got on the pitch.
3A43ED8000000578-3927302-image-a-41_1478869069383.jpg

We've all seen the size of the lumps of pitch that come up every week. Growing slowly will mean that any small root systems that have managed to start forming will be ripped apart and the process starts again.

Exactly this.

Still think ken would have helped this problem ,sacking him was fool hardy

Yep - was at the Man City game as a young lad. Pitch looked liked the seafront when the tides out! I seem to remember though that in the week before the game lorries arrived at Roots Hall with tons of crushed cockle shells from Leigh. How these were used I have no idea . Anyone on here have any idea ? Perhaps could be a temporary fix now!

Having not been to the Hall for a few months I must admit when I saw the state of the pitch against Charlton I was very surprised. If I was paying a 'Green Fee' I would be asking for a reduction. Its not as bad as some have been in the past, but certainly the worst for a couple of decades. All down to the grounds person if he/she is in charge.

Yep - was at the Man City game as a young lad. Pitch looked liked the seafront when the tides out! I seem to remember though that in the week before the game lorries arrived at Roots Hall with tons of crushed cockle shells from Leigh. How these were used I have no idea . Anyone on here have any idea ? Perhaps could be a temporary fix now!

I think the shells were under the "turf" to aid drainage.

To a certain extent I agree. However, the buck stops with the grounds man since the pitch is his responsibility. If he knew of the delay (which he did) then he should either have cancelled the planned work or, if he believed that there was still enough time to sort it out before the grass stopped growing at a helpful rate, done a better job up until the weather turned.

Back