• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

worst sports injury?

Honestly couldnt tell you! i play squash 2 or 3 times a week, was just an ordinary game, I was running full pelt, all my bodyweight landed on my right ankle and it kind of collapsed underneath me, unexpected, and tbh bloody painful, doesn't hurt so much now but is still swollen badly after a week, and not the most attractive colour. doc said i need to immobilize it and keep it elevated, with a worst case scenario being i could lose the use of my foot, which has freaked me out to the extreme.

Fair enough, the only reason I ask is that I also play squash 2/3 times a week, and used to play 6 a side football until I turned my ankle pretty badly and ****ed all the ligaments. That was July last year, and when playing football now it's still very sore, still feels very weak and can go again at any moment.
When playing squash, I feel no pain whatsoever but after your post it now makes me feel I have to be a little more careful!!

I regret I inflicted an injury on someone. I used to be involved in running a Sunday club with 3 sides in the Southend Sunday League. One Sunday I was helping the second XI manager out and one of the players went down with what appeared to be a muscle pull. I leapt into action with bucket, sponge & Ralgex at the ready. The lad asked for some spray, so without checking where the nozzle was I sprayed liberal quantities of Ralgex onto the affected area. Sadly it wasn't quite the affected area and as I hadn't checked the nozzle position the spray was applied liberally to his wedding tackle. The effect was immediate he leapt to his feet and was running around trying to find the sponge to apply to his fiery tackle. While doing this he was making threats on my life and also challenging the legitamacy of my birth. Luckily he soon calmed down and forgot about the injury he was first afflicted with and completed the match.

My advice to anyone who has a pulled muscle around the groin area is to spray your nuts with Ralgex you'll soon forget the pulled muscle.

Last edited:
If it's not a sports injury, then it's just moaning about things that hurt a bit, really. At least make up a story about tripping up on the oche or falling over a shuttlecock or something.

I was actually doing a roundhouse kick, albeit a very drunken roundhouse kick on a tiled floor!

Fair enough, the only reason I ask is that I also play squash 2/3 times a week, and used to play 6 a side football until I turned my ankle pretty badly and ****ed all the ligaments. That was July last year, and when playing football now it's still very sore, still feels very weak and can go again at any moment.
When playing squash, I feel no pain whatsoever but after your post it now makes me feel I have to be a little more careful!!

this is my long term fear, that i wont be able to play again, for the moment im just concerned with being able to walk again! as for being careful playing squash its next to impossible i think! part of the reason why i love the game, as its all mind over matter and you push yourself to the extreme! so yeah maybe try to take it easier on the squash court! and make sure that area is warmed up, maybe jog up and down the court a few times before you leap into it! do you wear an ankle support or anything?

I've broken and dislocated one ankle, and badly sprained the other. For a long time they were very weak and i suffered mild sprains when playing football. The best thing to do is to exercise and strengthen them once the swelling has gone down. Best exercises include standing and doing squats on one leg. When you get back playing football it's good to invest in some decent supports for them. Not only will it give you support, but I felt psychologically that it helped me mentally as I wasn't always playing in fear of my ankle suddenly giving way.

While it's still swollen, RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation). Do your best to walk on it normally otherwise the ligaments will take longer to repair.

I've broken and dislocated one ankle, and badly sprained the other. For a long time they were very weak and i suffered mild sprains when playing football. The best thing to do is to exercise and strengthen them once the swelling has gone down. Best exercises include standing and doing squats on one leg. When you get back playing football it's good to invest in some decent supports for them. Not only will it give you support, but I felt psychologically that it helped me mentally as I wasn't always playing in fear of my ankle suddenly giving way.

While it's still swollen, RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation). Do your best to walk on it normally otherwise the ligaments will take longer to repair.

cheers for the advice, ive been doing this, however as the swelling is still pretty bad after a week, its a 10 day cast, then reassess after that, like you say hopefully there will be no permanent damage, and i can start rebuilding some strength as its gonna be very weak.

damn!!!! makes my injury seem tame, full recovery I hope, how did you kill the recovery time?

The dislocated knee wasn't handled great by Southend Hospital, and i was told with the aid of crutches i could go back to work after a few weeks which i did and shouldn't of.

The Ribs were a bit easier as i was off for a few weeks, back at work for a week then on my honeymoon in Mauritius which makes recovery a bit easier ;)

My worst injury was as a 15 year old at school. Playing rugby in a P.E. lesson on a freezing cold Feb morning. I had a terrible cold and wanted to stay at home, but was forced into school by my mother (who was left feeling very guilty by lunchtime...)

To cut a long story short. I had the ball in hand, sidestepped an opponent but he managed to put his size 12 on top of my modest size 9. At this exact point, three of the biggest lads in the school come charging in and take me out. Not that bad you may say....

Except my foot stayed wedged under the size 12 and my leg decided to bend 90 degrees outward. I can only compare the sound to a large dry branch snapping. I will never forget it.

Resulting injury was a compound fracture (sticking through the skin) of the Tib and Fib in 7 places, a fractured ankle and a dislocated knee!!

Pins, Plates, stitches and full length cast for 4/5 months and double that in rehab. My right leg is now slightly shorter than my left as a result of the bone loss.

Was the downfall of my early and promising football career!

My worst injury was as a 15 year old at school. Playing rugby in a P.E. lesson on a freezing cold Feb morning. I had a terrible cold and wanted to stay at home, but was forced into school by my mother (who was left feeling very guilty by lunchtime...)

To cut a long story short. I had the ball in hand, sidestepped an opponent but he managed to put his size 12 on top of my modest size 9. At this exact point, three of the biggest lads in the school come charging in and take me out. Not that bad you may say....

Except my foot stayed wedged under the size 12 and my leg decided to bend 90 degrees outward. I can only compare the sound to a large dry branch snapping. I will never forget it.

Resulting injury was a compound fracture (sticking through the skin) of the Tib and Fib in 7 places, a fractured ankle and a dislocated knee!!

Pins, Plates, stitches and full length cast for 4/5 months and double that in rehab. My right leg is now slightly shorter than my left as a result of the bone loss.

Was the downfall of my early and promising football career!

Ouch!!! :stunned:

Although, don't elevate it and put ice on it for too long as raising your foot makes blood flow away from the foot quicker and, while the ice stops the swelling, it will make your foot very cold, and with little blood circulating to the foot, you can get frost bite.

Another key thing. If you have fish, don't make them come to the surface to quickly or its swim bladder gases expand too much, causing its guts to burst out its mouth and its eyes to explode. Have a good day everyone. :)

I would encourage everyone who has an injury like this to see a physio. Doctors aren't always great at this, especially GP's. I see patients everyday who have injured themselves a year ago and thought they would just let it heal, do nothing and then wonder why it hurts a year later. I ask patients when they come in to see me why they didn't get physio at the time and they always say either 1. they just sorted it out themselves because their mates told them what to do or 2. their GP or the doctor in A+E gave them advice and they followed that.

Newsflash - GP's and A+E doctors know ****.

Also i would be a bit careful when telling people to wear braces. Ok in the very short term but they certainly wont help your stability and strength and in the long run will just makes everything worse.

I would encourage everyone who has an injury like this to see a physio. Doctors aren't always great at this, especially GP's. I see patients everyday who have injured themselves a year ago and thought they would just let it heal, do nothing and then wonder why it hurts a year later. I ask patients when they come in to see me why they didn't get physio at the time and they always say either 1. they just sorted it out themselves because their mates told them what to do or 2. their GP or the doctor in A+E gave them advice and they followed that.

Newsflash - GP's and A+E doctors know ****.

Also i would be a bit careful when telling people to wear braces. Ok in the very short term but they certainly wont help your stability and strength and in the long run will just makes everything worse.

a matter of finance re: physio for me, but i know im just beginning my road to recovery,
im concerned about the Brace too, had it on all day now, just taken it off and feel like my whole ankle is weaker already, i was explained that it was to stop movement to enable any torn stuff to thread itself together? this nurse talked about worse case scenario i lose the use of my foot! then the guy that fitted the brace said i should move it and exercise it a bit, very confused, and slightly concerned, any advice?

ok so ive just got back from the hospital ripped tendons in my ankle playing squash have to have a cast tommorrow, swelled up like a balloon, and it bloody hurts weeks beckon of sitting on my arse doing jack.
i can feel the boredom encroaching, thought a gruesome thread about your worst sports injury might be appropriate! also any lighthearted injury related banter could just be the thing to lift my spirits (shackleford, greenberg, mad cyril, tarquin , true blue at al, this means you!)

I feel your pain mate. Yesterday I had an op on my foot to remove a rather large and painful lump (planta fibromatosis for those in the know).

I'm at day 1 and got a very numb bum...

a matter of finance re: physio for me, but i know im just beginning my road to recovery,
im concerned about the Brace too, had it on all day now, just taken it off and feel like my whole ankle is weaker already, i was explained that it was to stop movement to enable any torn stuff to thread itself together? this nurse talked about worse case scenario i lose the use of my foot! then the guy that fitted the brace said i should move it and exercise it a bit, very confused, and slightly concerned, any advice?

The brace is ok for the very short term. As someone said RICE for a few days and try to rest it a bit with very gentle movements even if it is a few mm at a time. The main movements you ankle does is pointing your toys up and down and turning the sole in and out. All exercises at first should be very gentle.

I am assuming they told you to walk on it? So your tendons wont be totally ruptured so ignore the bit about losing the use of your foot, that is totally stupid.

And regarding finances for physio. Don't be fooled that private physios are better then NHS. They all have exactly the same training and often have less teaching and support as once you go private you will rarely have senior physios helping you out. Pop down to your GP soon. Ask him to refer you for physio. He will do it, and considering what your injury is you should go through as an urgent case so you should only have to wait a maximum of two weeks to get seen.

The brace is ok for the very short term. As someone said RICE for a few days and try to rest it a bit with very gentle movements even if it is a few mm at a time. The main movements you ankle does is pointing your toys up and down and turning the sole in and out. All exercises at first should be very gentle.

I am assuming they told you to walk on it? So your tendons wont be totally ruptured so ignore the bit about losing the use of your foot, that is totally stupid.

And regarding finances for physio. Don't be fooled that private physios are better then NHS. They all have exactly the same training and often have less teaching and support as once you go private you will rarely have senior physios helping you out. Pop down to your GP soon. Ask him to refer you for physio. He will do it, and considering what your injury is you should go through as an urgent case so you should only have to wait a maximum of two weeks to get seen.

Ive been told to put no pressure on it at all, the pain has subsided however the swelling has not, and when my foot isnt elevated its goes a very nasty purple colour and doesnt feel right at all, the talk of losing my foot was, im hoping, as you say an overstatement, however when a medical practitioner looks you in the eye and says that, it opens up a whole world of fears. so the latest is elevate and brace and have another appointment in ten days.

i was supposed to be getting a hard cast for 4 weeks, however i got a brace which im infinitely pleased about, for obvious reasons, at the end of the day i can deal with sitting around like a useless flump, i cant deal with losing mobility permanently from this.
Interestingly enough, the guy asked me what shoe size i was i said 11 and he said, "your in luck then as were out of medium braces and you would have had to have had a cast."
fairly shocked by that.

theres no snobbery with regards to NHS physios I assure you, im just not au fait with the procedures for qualifying for NHS physiotherapy. but like you say as soon as (hopefully) i'm mobile again, i will certainly enquire about it.
I appreciate the advice

Back