• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Napster

No ⭐
Jon Main, of Tonbridge - his agent, Mikkel Beck, formerly of Middlesborough, is touting him to Championship sides, and he has been on trial with Wolves and Norwich. He is on 30-odd goals for the season with about 7 games left.

This, from my local rag...

The future of Tonbridge Angels hot-shot Jon Main remains unclear after it emerged the 38-goal striker has signed up former Middlesbrough and Denmark forward Mikkel Beck as his agent, writes Ed Aarons.

After spending last week on trial at Wolverhampton Wanderers, the 26-year-old former VCD Athletic and Cray Wanderers star has been taking part in a week-long trial at MK Dons after a planned sojourn with Norwich City was delayed due to international matches.

But when the Kent and Sussex Courier newspaper attempted to speak to Main on Wednesday, he refereed them to his agent, an Englishman named Matt Seldon, who is working on behalf of Beck in order to find him a new club for next season.

As an agent who is not registered with the FA to work in this country, Mr Seldon then passed on the phone number of Brussels-based Beck, who also appeared for Nottingham Forest, Derby County and Queens Park Rangers during the 1990s.

In an exclusive interview with the Kent and Sussex Courier Newspaper, Mikkel Beck has outlined that he has major plans for Jon Main, with a number of clubs reported to be interested in taking him away from the Betterview Longmead Stadium this summer.

“I’m not going to say what clubs are interested but all I can say is that Jon is one of the best finishers I have ever seen,” he said.

“In front of goal, he has something very special that comes to him naturally. We’ve followed him for most of the season because we want to find the best prospects in the country and I certainly think this boy is one of the best players outside the league.”

He added: “To have scored so many goals in one season shows how good he is but it’s important for us to find the best club to enable him to progress properly.

“We’re looking for a stable club who really want him and will give him the chance to play every week – at the moment he is playing non-league football so it’s very important that he can have the chance to appear and not just sit on the bench.

“We think he is ready to play at a much higher level now and given his age, there is no time for him to wait a couple of years for a chance.”

Beck also revealed that Main had been due to play in a reserve team fixture for Wolves during his trial last week but the match was cancelled and he ended up only having the chance to play in a behind-closed-doors friendly instead.

He said: “the trials have been a good test of his character and Jon has performed very well – Wolves were very pleased but it was hard to make an impact in such a short game.

“We were told that they will keep watching him closely but in the summer I expect a few clubs to come in with offers for him.

“He’s only been playing the game since he was 19 and has a great character and a real belief in himself – who can blame him having scored so many goals?”

He added: “Jon is the type of player who will score whatever league he is playing in but we need to make sure that we pick up somewhere that is right for him.

“At the moment we are testing the waters with a couple of clubs but we have had so much interest from all over the place.”

As for Ryman Premier League club Tonbridge Angels, Beck ruled out any possibility of Main remaining to spearhead Tony Dolby’s attack after this season.

“Jon definitely needs to leave that level and test himself on a higher stage,” he admitted.

“If you score so many goals in one league then it is only right that you go on to try and prove yourself somewhere.

“I have a lot of confidence in him and believe that he is capable of doing well.

“Jon has been at Wolves and MK Dons in the last two weeks but I have recommended that he concentrates on playing well for Tonbridge for the next couple of weeks because going on too many trials doesn’t help anyone.

“He needs to keep scoring goals because there are clubs watching him every week but it’s always hard to tell what is going to happen.”

In response Angels chairman Nick Sullivan, a former professional at Arsenal, revealed that as many as 18 clubs have already shown an interest in his star player but hoped any move away from the Betterview Longmead Stadium would be in Main’s best interests.

He told the Kent and Sussex Courier Newspaper: “I was trying to get the PFA to take him on originally because they would manage him for nothing but it’s up to Jon what he does.

“My only concern is that the guy who is handling it in England has never played football before and some of the things he has done have annoyed me.

“These agents are just looking to make money out of Jon and I’m a bit worried that they might not have his best interests at heart – the most important thing is that he finds a good club and can carry on scoring goals.”

Blimey, and there was me thinking that you were championing a return to the club for John Main! There's one signing we could do without...

:thump:

Sounds worth a look, although I fear any decent striker coming from non-league to Southend would have to be able to cope with the "next Freddy Eastwood" tag they would no doubt get!

Also, like the fact that we would have had a chairman & a player with the same (albeit different spelling) name!

I'm not yet convinced, Napster. Especially not when you read between the lines... and as for agents, how much bull**** do they speak!?

He knows where the back of the net is though!

Jon Main, of Tonbridge - his agent, Mikkel Beck, formerly of Middlesborough, is touting him to Championship sides, and he has been on trial with Wolves and Norwich. He is on 30-odd goals for the season with about 7 games left.

Call me a skeptic, but I'd say Wolves and Norwich didn't want him.

This, from my local rag...

The future of Tonbridge Angels hot-shot Jon Main remains unclear after it emerged the 38-goal striker has signed up former Middlesbrough and Denmark forward Mikkel Beck as his agent, writes Ed Aarons.

After spending last week on trial at Wolverhampton Wanderers, the 26-year-old former VCD Athletic and Cray Wanderers star has been taking part in a week-long trial at MK Dons after a planned sojourn with Norwich City was delayed due to international matches.

A Cray Wanderers star perhaps, but MK Dons don't want him...

But when the Kent and Sussex Courier newspaper attempted to speak to Main on Wednesday, he refereed them to his agent, an Englishman named Matt Seldon, who is working on behalf of Beck in order to find him a new club for next season.

"We'd have to speak to his agent's agent..."

As an agent who is not registered with the FA to work in this country, Mr Seldon then passed on the phone number of Brussels-based Beck, who also appeared for Nottingham Forest, Derby County and Queens Park Rangers during the 1990s.

(An English agent not registered to work in England that is...)

In an exclusive interview with the Kent and Sussex Courier Newspaper, Mikkel Beck has outlined that he has major plans for Jon Main, with a number of clubs reported to be interested in taking him away from the Betterview Longmead Stadium this summer.

“I’m not going to say what clubs are interested...

"...because I might be telling porkies"

...but all I can say is that Jon is one of the best finishers I have ever seen,” he said.

“In front of goal, he has something very special that comes to him naturally. We’ve followed him for most of the season because we want to find the best prospects in the country and I certainly think this boy is one of the best players outside the league.”

He added: “To have scored so many goals in one season shows how good he is but it’s important for us to find the best club to enable him to progress properly.

"ie: the one who'll pay him/us the most money."

"We’re looking for a stable club who really want him and will give him the chance to play every week – at the moment he is playing non-league football so it’s very important that he can have the chance to appear and not just sit on the bench.

"Unless of course, someone offers us loads of money."

“We think he is ready to play at a much higher level now and given his age, there is no time for him to wait a couple of years for a chance.”

"He's scored lots of goals so we want to cash in NOW"

Beck also revealed that Main had been due to play in a reserve team fixture for Wolves during his trial last week but the match was cancelled and he ended up only having the chance to play in a behind-closed-doors friendly instead.

He said: “the trials have been a good test of his character and Jon has performed very well – Wolves were very pleased but it was hard to make an impact in such a short game.

(Wolves still didn't want him).

“We were told that they will keep watching him closely but in the summer I expect a few clubs to come in with offers for him.

"That's what we've told Wolves anyway..."

“He’s only been playing the game since he was 19 and has a great character and a real belief in himself – who can blame him having scored so many goals?”

"He's an arrogant git, mind, but who can blame him?"

“At the moment we are testing the waters with a couple of clubs but we have had so much interest from all over the place.”

"So much so that no-one's come in for him yet, even though we've persuaded a couple to have a look at him by way of a trial."

As for Ryman Premier League club Tonbridge Angels, Beck ruled out any possibility of Main remaining to spearhead Tony Dolby’s attack after this season.

“Jon definitely needs to leave that level and test himself on a higher stage,” he admitted.

"I don't get paid if he stays..."

“If you score so many goals in one league then it is only right that you go on to try and prove yourself somewhere.

"...especially if we can convince someone to spend some dosh."

“Jon has been at Wolves and MK Dons in the last two weeks but I have recommended that he concentrates on playing well for Tonbridge for the next couple of weeks because going on too many trials doesn’t help anyone."

"...especially if they don't want to sign him."

In response Angels chairman Nick Sullivan, a former professional at Arsenal, revealed that as many as 18 clubs have already shown an interest in his star player but hoped any move away from the Betterview Longmead Stadium would be in Main’s best interests.

He told the Kent and Sussex Courier Newspaper: “I was trying to get the PFA to take him on originally because they would manage him for nothing but it’s up to Jon what he does.

“My only concern is that the guy who is handling it in England has never played football before and some of the things he has done have annoyed me.

“These agents are just looking to make money out of Jon and I’m a bit worried that they might not have his best interests at heart – the most important thing is that he finds a good club and can carry on scoring goals.”

Last edited:
I would'nt want him - if we after a 26 year old striker who never played football league in his life, get Paul Benson - only if we go down as Championship football is one step too far for him or Main.

If Main was 20 year old, I would take him, but in fact he is 26 year old not 20 year old. If I was looking for a non-league player, he has to score goals, got pace, skill & is strong as well and also over 6ft as well. There is one player I would sign is from Billericay called Whelpdale (correct me if my spelling is wrong) he is a winger who can cross with either foot, lightling fast pace, score goals & make them, tall, strong & can launch a long throw (we dont have player who can throw the ball into the box) - Tilly get him!

I like the look of Wes Thomas at Thurrock. He's got a decent amount of goals for them this season (15/16 I think) in a god awful side and I've seen him a few times. He was at QPR as a youth and left them to spend last season at Waltham Forest, where he was prolific whilst he actually played a game on trial for us in the summer before joining Thurrock.

He's still quite young and he's got some decent attributes. He never gives up, gives 110%, has great ball control and dribbling technic and can 'spin on a six pence' as they say, very well, whilst he also creates and scores. Technically he's very very good and if DJ Campbell can go to Birmingham, and Kandol to Leeds, then there is no reason why Thomas can't.

Jon Main's obviously a decent player, having got 38 goals this season in a strong Ryman League Premier Division (and Tonbridge, despote heading the table a few months ago, have dropped off of the pace at the top), and after the way Michael Kightly has got on at Wolves, is perhaps worth a look.

Interestingly, the RPL is now becoming a real hotbed of scouts - Chris Whelpdale, who M_M pinpoints in his post, has been in fantastic form for Billiercay, and has been watched by Swansea City.

Also, having travelled to Staines to watch Billericay on Saturday, I learnt that we had been looking at their 20-goal top scorer Ali Chaaban on trial last week. I don't know if this has been covered elsewhere, but here's the paragraph from their programme:

Ali C fishing for 'Shrimpers'...
It was with our wishes of good luck that Ali C left the visitors dressing-room at Tonbridge last Saturday to prepare for a five day trial with Nationwide Conference strugglers Southend United. Following his goalscoring exploits for the 'Swans' over the last eighteen months, Ali has continuously attracted the attention of scouts from the 'big leagues' and, we believe, was due to spend the last five days training with the Essex side's senior squad at Roots Hall, whilst also appearing for them in a reserve game of some description.

We didn't have a Combination game for him to feature in last week, and I don't know if anything else was arranged. He only made a fleeting cameo for Staines and looked OK as they failed to stop Billericay overtaking Chelmsford at the top of the RPL, but it does show that Tilly and Brush are looking for the next Eastwood, Cole or Hooper.

BTW, don't forget to ignore the rubbish pun and the massive error in the division in which we play!

Nationwide Conference strugglers ? I know I had a tank full after the Good Friday Massacre but how bl00dy long was I asleep :hilarious:

This programme proof reading milarky is difficult stuff isnt it ? :guns:

I agree. There's no harm in checking any of these kids out. And just think of the songs we could sing, or chants we could chant, about Ali. What a great name. :)

Back