• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Would relegation to league 2 have been better?

Tommy2holes

Life President⭐
That goal by Humphrys last season not only papered over the cracks but enabled bond to secure the managers job.

What has followed is a set of players who aren't up to the job and are unfit.

Would relegation have been a bad thing?

No bond and the very real chance of a better more equipped manager signing good hard working players.

There is of course the games against orient and col u to have looked forward to.

Thoughts?

Relegation would've seen us in the same position as we are now, but in league 2. The same players and problems would still be here. The win over Sunderland has probably saved our league status, we will likely be relegated this year but a lot of unwanted players can at least be moved on in the summer and an opportunity to start again can take place with our league status intact.

The only plus point for relegation would have been no Bond. Then I very much doubt whether the likes of Milligan, Shaughnessy, Blackman etc would have been signed. However, I do agree we could easily have been in a lowly position in League 2.

Relegation would've seen us in the same position as we are now, but in league 2. The same players and problems would still be here. The win over Sunderland has probably saved our league status, we will likely be relegated this year but a lot of unwanted players can at least be moved on in the summer and an opportunity to start again can take place with our league status intact.

Kevin Bond would probably not have been given the job though and we would not have his signings. A different manager may well have assembled a better squad, some may have left if they got the opportunity and didn't want to play in League Two, so we will never really know.

On balance I think we'd have struggled even without Bond and maybe we needed to hit rock bottom this badly, to weed out the problems in the squad/set up. So no.....relegation to league 2 would've been painful as would getting d!cked by our Northern rivals.

Not if Bond had been appointed

Would have depended on who a different manager would have signed and who he could have got rid of.

No. Because this lot would just be sitting bottom of League 2 instead and we'd have been staring the National League in the face

I think the point is that if we had been relegated then Bond and some of his acquisitions wouldn't have been here and others may well have left, as well.

It may have been completely different.

Last edited:
And the cat could have had kittens, it's something we will never know. For my part the sheer joy and elation of that victory over Sunderland will remain with me for many years to come. As @Lord Football said at the time, 'What do we say to the God of Relegation?', 'Not today'. Days as sweet as that just don't happen very often to us.

No as it did paper over the cracks but gave fans a very rare these days great day.Brilliant seeing fans celebrating on the pitch afterwards

The answer must be no. A Scunthorpe supporter and neighbour of mine says the standard of football in L2 is very poor and the Referees are worse than ever. He was at the game last Saturday and although they won it was a pleasure to leave quickly after the game as it was so painful to watch. So I think, although we have been very poor this season we still have a remote chance of staying up and hopefully a better standard of football in the future.

We would struggle big time in L2 with the current squad.

Let’s remember that our play off winning side had; Bentley, Coker, Adam B, Lenny, Timlin, and Corr to name but a few. All of these players are miles better than what we have now. And we only got promoted by the skin of our teeth.

L2 is a lot harder league than you think and we will struggle to bounce back if and when we do get relegated.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we do a Luton’ and fall right down into the National League, but then it could give us the chance to regroup and get back into the league, this momentum could enable us to achieve further back to back promotions.

We’ve always been an up n down club, it ain’t ever gonna change

If we had got promoted I bet we wouldn't be top of the Championship, so why would we be bottom of L2

The only plus point for relegation would have been no Bond. Then I very much doubt whether the likes of Milligan, Shaughnessy, Blackman etc would have been signed. However, I do agree we could easily have been in a lowly position in League 2.
...or not, if those you listed had not been signed with others fit-for-purpose in League Two signed instead.

No!! We would be bottom of League 2 right now.
Difficult to say, but we beat Stevenage earlier, and there is another drop in standards.
Have to say I enjoyed the excitement in that final game against Sunderland, and it will live in the memory unlike a single minute of this season - and I count our three victories in that.

.Brilliant seeing fans celebrating on the pitch afterwards

At my time of life, was probably the last time i'll be on it celebrating something!.
Next time (?) it happens, i'll have possibly aged so much, by the time i get over the wall, our fans & players will have all left the pitch!.

I suggested this a few weeks into the season, sadly I think we'd be going down again if we had....

Who knows with this actually. We might not have been able to tempt some of the ****e we signed this summer and actually have signed better players

To be fair, if we ended up in NL, if the football was better and more enjoyable to watch I would be happy at this precise moment in time

Back