• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Would relegation to league 2 have been better?

I think the point is that if we had been relegated then Bond and some of his acquisitions wouldn't have been here and others may well have left, as well.

It may have been completely different.

Exactly this. We would have had a different manager, in from the start of the season, making his own signings and having a pre season to work with the players. Ron would not have the financial burden of paying up the contracts of Bond, Tod, Waddock, Ridgewell and whoever else we offload. Would we still be struggling in League Two - nobody knows. Despite Sol's rebuilding we may still struggle next season anyway ? People say they are glad we don't have to watch League Two, it is highly likely we will be anyway soon and could it really have been worse than what we have seen so far this season ? Yes, the feeling after the Sunderland game was brilliant but I would trade that brief elation with not having to have endured the hours of rubbish so far, with no doubt more to come and the inevitable relegation which effectively was just postponed by a year - a year wasted.

Sorry but goals like the Humphrys one are the kind of thing that make all the pain worth it.

So no, I'm not inclined to agree.

We would struggle big time in L2 with the current squad.

Let’s remember that our play off winning side had; Bentley, Coker, Adam B, Lenny, Timlin, and Corr to name but a few. All of these players are miles better than what we have now. And we only got promoted by the skin of our teeth.

L2 is a lot harder league than you think and we will struggle to bounce back if and when we do get relegated.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we do a Luton’ and fall right down into the National League, but then it could give us the chance to regroup and get back into the league, this momentum could enable us to achieve further back to back promotions.

We’ve always been an up n down club, it ain’t ever gonna change
I liked this post because I hated it.

I hate the dawning realisation of truth in it.

Must confess I did initially think it may have been a good thing, but as time's gone on I've completely changed my mind. If we had gone down we would now be staring the NL in the face. Thank god we've been given the chance of a 'cushion' season to turn things around. L2 is one thing, the NL is potential oblivion.

I cannot see how relegation is good for anyone,club or fans

Lower gates, less revenue through drink/food bars and maybe lower sponsorship

We are in deep doodoo as shown with various court appearances , so relegation should not be considered a good thing

Out of the cups and out of Div 1 is one thing, out of the cups and out of the league could be a death toll ringing

I'm not sure why we would be down the bottom of L2 if we had gone down.

We might have been top of the league.

No, definitely not.

Watching football and supporting your club is about experiencing the highs and the lows. We ended last season on a high. This season is a low. Next season who knows?

If we had got promoted I bet we wouldn't be top of the Championship, so why would we be bottom of L2
Because the jump in quality between League 1 and the Championship is massive these days. The jump is much smaller between League 1 and 2.

It's impossible to tell where we'd be if we were in L2 - a new manager would have bought in different players. The likes of Mantom, Dieng, Hyam, Kiernan, Lennon etc. would have still been contracted though so I doubt we'd have been anywhere near the top.

Because the jump in quality between League 1 and the Championship is massive these days. The jump is much smaller between League 1 and 2.

Yes I don't disagree with that, in fact L1 to the Championship is now the biggest jump and highest financial risk in football.

It was a tongue in cheek comment aimed at the over the top claims that we would be bottom.....The manger and most of the players would be completely different. As would the fans expectations.

A Scunthorpe supporter and neighbour of mine says the standard of football in L2 is very poor and the Referees are worse than ever.

Concur with the latter point. Never seen so many dismal refereeing performances in the league before. No better than the National League, though I suppose that’s where some of them have come from. Standard is no better or worse than it has been since it went completely ****e in the early 2000s. Forest Green were excellent the other day.

I give this a yes and no, for sure Bond wouldnt have got the job so his signings i doubt we would have , then it would have depended on who got the managers job.But it still would have cleansed the club off the cancer thats been running through it. Would the new manager have appointed a fitness coach plus defensive and attacking and midfielder coach,would RM have backed him to get the players we need.its hard to say yes or no to this question.

Back