• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Would you be happy with Chris Powell?

• Yes, wiggle wiggle

Votes: 233 82.0%
  • No

Votes: 32 11.3%
  • Bart

Votes: 19 6.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

manor15

Super Moderator⭐⭐
Staff member
Yes
SUFC hero and bring back some feel good factor
Most of his coaching career at a higher level
Contacts at this level
Would shore up the defence
Brings through young players

No
Hasn't really achieved anything of note since Charlton's promotion in 2012
Dull, defensive style of play
Heroes returning to Roots Hall haven't been too great over the last few years
Hasn't been a manager since 2015

Thoughts?

I'm not one to judge a manager if he's a Southend hero. I wouldn't want Barrett as I don't think he's anywhere near a manager yet. If he's good enough (and not a ****) I would be happy.

Powell is someone I've always liked. Yeah he didn't do as well at Huddersfield but it wasn't all bad. Kept them up at the time.

I think he could be a very good appointment, and at a club with smaller expectations.

For the younger generation, all you need to know is that Chris Powell is a class act. You will be proud to say he is Southend manager.

Yes
Has won the division we play in.
Finished 9th in championship
Has managed plenty at a higher level.
Has coached at various big clubs too.
Recently been a scout for spurs....
Obvious contacts throughout the game.
PFA representative
England caps...played at the highest level
Simply my nailed on personal favourite player of all time.

NO
It would break my heart to see him fail here...literally.

Yes I’m happy with it. People are picking holes in his record already. If Charlton were as amazing as people say they were when he took over then surely they’d have gotten promoted in their preceding 2 League 1 campaigns? Well they didn’t. He was appointed because the club was going backwards at the time, and he ended up storming to the league title with them. At the same time as Sheff Utd (a similar-sized club) were in the middle of a six-season long flounder in League 1. That shouldn’t be taken away from him.

In his second season in charge they finished 9th, 3 points off the play-offs. A great achievement considering that they had spent 3 seasons in League 1. The wheels only truly came off for him when the new owners took over and started messing about. They made sounds right from the get go about potentially wanting to appoint their own man, and the Chairman immediately started interfering in transfer targets and first team affairs.

He then kept Huddersfield up when they looked doomed at one stage before being replaced by Wagner.

His record is no worse than Brown’s when he took over. He has the same amount of promotions (1) as Brown had on his CV when he was appointed, and he doesn’t have any relegations whereas Brown could easily be blamed for Hull’s relegation despite having been sacked beforehand (just watch George Boateng’s interview) and then got relegated with a Lreston side which on paper was too good for the drop.

I think he’ll be great for us and has the potential to really galvanise the club. I don’t know much about his “style” of football but it can’t be any worse than anything I’ve witnessed this season and in all honesty he and his team will bring in some fresh ideas and a new direction which is precisely what we need.

No contest.

As 'Leeblue' says, above, his credentials are good enough and man will he lift the spirits at RH.

Just a wonderful fella, as well.

When he left and then came back with Derby a couple of weeks later, he got a fantastic ovation from us lot. That's only reserved for the very best.

I predict a near on sell-out for the Scunthorpe match, as a result!

Could do a lot worse. More positives than negatives imo. Trouble is when a new manager is appointed, fans expect their team to start winning straight away. Recent new Managerial appointments at several clubs show this isn't always the case.
Will take him ( or whoever ) couple of weeks to assess the whole situation?. By which time the transfer window will be closed, with likelihood of new players unlikely.
Positive thought is that he (or whoever), can change the dismal formation & tactics we churn out week after week, to no avail?.

Cant see us getting anyone with a better pedigree, and he will lift supporters by reputation alone.

I think it would be nice, whoever becomes manager, if we reserve all our judgements until he has had time to show what he can or can't do. Talk now of do we want him or don't we, is he a good appointment or a bad one, is hardly a rallying cry to get behind the new manager. We have had a long spell of divisive postings and it would be nice if everyone just got on with supporting and leave the negativity until the day it is warranted or be happy if it never is.

Yes
SUFC hero and bring back some feel good factor
Most of his coaching career at a higher level
Contacts at this level
Would shore up the defence
Brings through young players

No
Hasn't really achieved anything of note since Charlton's promotion in 2012
Dull, defensive style of play
Heroes returning to Roots Hall haven't been too great over the last few years
Hasn't been a manager since 2015

Thoughts?

No idea what style he played in the past but wonder how many people who criticised Brown for being defensive and are now happy with Powell know that (if its the case).

I think it would be nice, whoever becomes manager, if we reserve all our judgements until he has had time to show what he can or can't do. Talk now of do we want him or don't we, is he a good appointment or a bad one, is hardly a rallying cry to get behind the new manager. We have had a long spell of divisive postings and it would be nice if everyone just got on with supporting and leave the negativity until the day it is warranted or be happy if it never is.

Do you remember the unity...the boost...the moistness when Tilly took over. The returning club legend etc etc. Powell scenario is almost identical. He will be given a fair crack by all...as was sturrock and brown to be fair. It is time to crank up the roots hall roar and back this lot.

Was a cracking player. A real fans favourite. Look forward to improved gates and noise at the hall.

I was waiting for some printing today and chatting to a woman who's a Charlton fan. I was saying things were looking bad and maybe I wouldn't mind Chris Powell as a manager.
She had lots of good words to say about Powell as a manager. Didn't mention him as a player so I don't think she was being misty-eyed. The only thing is she stopped being a season ticket holder coz of that dodgy owner so maybe Powell getting mugged off there has influenced her view.

But look at it this way:
a guy who in his one spell in this league got promotion
has managed most of his career in the league above
has coached almost exclusively in the top 2 tiers
is currently a scout at a champions league club
is widely thought to be the nicest and most decent bloke in football.

Take those facts away from the fact he used to play for us and I think that sounds promising. He might succeed, he might not, but that's as good a basis as you'll find.

Also his personality might be a positive change as things under Brown have gone bad.
He needs to be given time but I am optimistic for the future.

Final word is that I only started coming after he'd left so I have no attachment to him as a player

I was waiting for some printing today and chatting to a woman who's a Charlton fan. I was saying things were looking bad and maybe I wouldn't mind Chris Powell as a manager.
She had lots of good words to say about Powell as a manager. Didn't mention him as a player so I don't think she was being misty-eyed. The only thing is she stopped being a season ticket holder coz of that dodgy owner so maybe Powell getting mugged off there has influenced her view.

But look at it this way:
a guy who in his one spell in this league got promotion
has managed most of his career in the league above
has coached almost exclusively in the top 2 tiers
is currently a scout at a champions league club
is widely thought to be the nicest and most decent bloke in football.

Take those facts away from the fact he used to play for us and I think that sounds promising. He might succeed, he might not, but that's as good a basis as you'll find.

Also his personality might be a positive change as things under Brown have gone bad.
He needs to be given time but I am optimistic for the future.

Final word is that I only started coming after he'd left so I have no attachment to him as a player

Yeah my other half is a Charlton fan, she works away so hasn’t gone much recently but her best mate is a season ticket holder and is fond of Powell. As are several Charlton fans on Twitter.

Something else I like also is the fact he is one of us. Took him from obscurity and gave him the chance to build a career which went all the way to playing for England. He is a shrimper and I feel that's what this community needs right now.

Whoever we get I hope they get the balance right between defence and attack. I’ve forgotten what it’s like to see regular attractive football and an attacking forward line.

I think that just for the feelgood factor alone, Chris Powell is our man! Let's face it, our recent record and results couldn't get much worse, so there is a low base to start from.

there is a lot of talent in our squad, and Chris's management style may yield better results than the blame culture that has emerged recently. As he knows the club already, and would no doubt do his homework first before accepting the job, it is likely that he will fit in quickly, not least because he is a fans favourite! All he needs to do is reinstall some confidence in our more senior / influencial players, and for goodness sake, let's hope he appoints an attacking coach!

Back