• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Would you have Nile Ranger back?

Would you want him back?

• Yes

Votes: 76 28.3%
  • No

Votes: 173 64.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 20 7.4%

• Total voters

GBJ

⭐⭐
Staff member
Simple question, would you have him back now?

In the podcast he’s done with Theo Robinson & Frank Nouble, he does appear contrite, and seems desperate for another chance - and he’s also very keen on returning to play here at Roots Hall.

I’m unsure tbh, and would genuinely be interested in what others think. I know this question has been asked before, but our situation has changed since then, and opinions may have to.

Pros;
- We’re skint, and he’d be cheap.
- It’s likely that we’ll need at least one new striker.
- He is talented
- He appears to be willing to join us.

Cons - it’s Nile Ranger. Same man who’s consistently ****ed up every chance he’s ever had. Why trust him now?

Edit: I’ve added an undecided option.

Last edited:
I would because hopefully a little older and wiser and would know **** up now and its game over.
Hopefully would repay the chance we took on him but then again ?

Simple question, would you have him back now?

In the podcast he’s done with Theo Robinson & Frank Nouble, he does appear contrite, and seems desperate for another chance - and he’s also very keen on returning to play here at Roots Hall.

I’m unsure tbh, and would genuinely be interested in what others think. I know this question has been asked before, but our situation has changed since then, and opinions may have to.

Pros;
- We’re skint, and he’d be cheap.
- It’s likely that we’ll need at least one new striker.
- He is talented
- He appears to be willing to join us.

Cons - it’s Nile Ranger. Same man who’s consistently ****ed up every chance he’s ever had. Why trust him now?
Now we are sponsored by watchlotto, at least he would be on time for training ?

Reactions: GBJ
We've done this to death GBJ. His trouble is he want's to be a gangsta and a footballer. If he could stay well away from his Wood Green gang, give up drugs completely, and all night parties, and just concentrate on football, he would be a professional footballer right now with another club. You can't help someone that doesn't help himself. We all know he has the talent.

We've done this to death GBJ. His trouble is he want's to be a gangsta and a footballer. If he could stay well away from his Wood Green gang, give up drugs completely, and all night parties, and just concentrate on football, he would be a professional footballer right now with another club. You can't help someone that doesn't help himself. We all know he has the talent.

For sure mate, and I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said.

As above, I’m not campaigning for him, nor am I shutting the door on the idea. Our situation has changed since we last had this discussion; we have been relegated, we’re down to the bare bones - with more set to depart - and we’re skint.

Hypothetically, what’s the worst case scenario, if we gave him a 3-month contract, on small wages?

I like him tbf. I think he does get made a scapegoat for a lot just because he’s Nile Ranger

I wouldn’t be against it. But I also wouldn’t actively campaign for it

It's his own doing. He's been given numerous chances and wasted each one.

Easy pass

What was your thoughts @GBJ when Nile started going in on Sol??

Even Theo put his two pence in as well...

Ranger spoke highly of Phil Brown & Michael Timlin which I found interesting.

Just watching the pod now and there's a few things that jump out at me.

Firstly Ron still likes Nile and was happy for him to come back so there is a decent chance he will.

secondly Nile would be happy with a day to day contract to start with.

Thirdly Ron left it up to Sol to decide.

the most important thing for me is that Sol didn't even speak to Theo when he came back for a few days in Jan, he also dodged Nile's calls backing up a lot of what we've heard rumours about.

Personally I'd take Nile back on a 1 year contract with break points on the clubs side every month if he acts up, he'd tear L2 apart and him up top with Charlie (pun intended) would be a cracking partnership.

It's amazing that some Southend fans have short memories over certain players. Nile Ranger absolutely took the **** out of the Chairman, the management team and, in my view, the supporters as well. There was no doubting that there was a talent in there somewhere, Sheffield Utd away proved that, but the bad outweighed the good to the point that he should never again wear the dark blue shirt of Southend Utd.

It's amazing that some Southend fans have short memories over certain players. Nile Ranger absolutely took the **** out of the Chairman, the management team and, in my view, the supporters as well. There was no doubting that there was a talent in there somewhere, Sheffield Utd away proved that, but the bad outweighed the good to the point that he should never again wear the dark blue shirt of Southend Utd.

All very good reasons why he doesn’t deserve another chance.

The main reason I wouldn’t want him back, is the scam he was a part of, in which conned someone out of £2k. That’s nigh on impossible to forgive and forget.

Although that opens another can of worms altogether, on whether criminals deserve to carry their convictions around their neck forever.

Back