• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Would you pass the driving test?

RHB

I'm a Gnu, how do you do!⭐⭐
Staff member
Having just watched some poor sod in a driving school car struggling at the Kent Elms lights, I wondered whether I would pass my driving test again if I had to take one again. I like to think that by and large my driving is not too bad and I'm still considerate to most on the roads. That said I do have bad driving habits and I would have to think hard to eradicate them in a test situation. What about you guys and girls? Do you think you would pass the test now and would it be a good thing if we had to be re-tested?

Possibly - as long as I could eradicate those lazy habits you pick up. Retesting? Absolutely not!

Having just watched some poor sod in a driving school car struggling at the Kent Elms lights, I wondered whether I would pass my driving test again if I had to take one again. I like to think that by and large my driving is not too bad and I'm still considerate to most on the roads. That said I do have bad driving habits and I would have to think hard to eradicate them in a test situation. What about you guys and girls? Do you think you would pass the test now and would it be a good thing if we had to be re-tested?

I think re-testing is a good idea to be honest. I certainly wouldn't be against it.

I would.

Advanced skills such as steering with your knee while putting your seatbelt on or getting impatient with slow/hesitant drivers and then aggressively tailgating them whilst swearing are far more likely to impress examiners than stalling three times at the lights and driving like a 90 year old.

I don't really see why not, I don't think I've picked up too many bad habits (or know the ones I have so can consciously do something about them in a test). I think a lack of any nerves would help, plus the fact that the manoeuvres are all really easy now that I've been driving 13 years.

I would.

Advanced skills such as steering with your knee while putting your seatbelt on or getting impatient with slow/hesitant drivers and then aggressively tailgating them whilst swearing are far more likely to impress examiners than stalling three times at the lights and driving like a 90 year old.

The ability to hold and turn a steering wheel with one finger is something that not only impresses the wife, but I assume a driving examiner.

The ones I think I would worry about are constantly propping my right elbow on the door shelf when driving (It's comfy), and crossing my arms when going round corners. All curable but also habitual! Don't forget, if re-testing happened, they may also make you take the theory test again (all computer screen now I'm told)!

I've been driving 6 years now (I passed 2nd time) and I honestly think I'd fail a test now, just pick up so many bad/lazy habits. I very rarely have two hands on the wheel, always have one on the gearstick.

The ability to hold and turn a steering wheel with one finger is something that not only impresses the wife, but I assume a driving examiner.

That could be down to what you are doing with your other 9 fingers :winking:

Just to clarify, is the test based on how you normally drive or not? I'm sure most of us would pass if we could prepare for it, but based on how you normally drive it could be touch and go for me. So many bad habits picked up for me and rarely have 2 hands on the wheel.

I think I would, but I would probably be given more "minors" than the 3 I had when I passed through bad habits I would imagine.

Retesting? Absolutely yes! I think it should be compulsory every 5 years.

Bit different in my day, not parallel parking and no theory test, reckon I would struggle on those.

Back