• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Options

• I think you should get it printed - I think I would buy a copy at that price

Votes: 48 82.8%
  • I think you should get it printed but its not really for me.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I cant see you moving 200 copies - Save the attic space

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters

DTS

The Business
Right - I am in need of a bit of secrecy on this one....And as Dad of DtS is off on hols this week I am hoping he wont see this post but....

Basically my old man is writing a book at the moment. Its only really for his own enjoyment about his times watching Southend.

Its not really a book based on the games as such as in there are no match reports but its more a biography of his life travelling up and down the country watching the Blues. Its not disimilar to Bob Sills book if anyone read that (If not then do as its a really good read).

I must confess I have only seen snippets but its been a really good read and has had me in tears at a few of his stories about players, day trips to places etc and things that happen at the club.

Now my old man is a pretty quiet humble sort of bloke and dosent really want to make a fuss about it but I think its a bloody good read.

I am looking into the costs of getting it published and I may do it as a suprise. I have looked into the costs of getting it published as a book and also spoken to Bob Sills about how he (Or his Mrs) got the book published. The basic rule of thumb seems to be minimum print is 200.

His book would retail for about £10-£12 and would have almost 200 pages (maybe more as he is only up to 2004). This would pretty much be break even for me.

I am thinking of doing it as a suprise for his birthday but I dont want to be left with 199 copies stuck in my attic.

So I have 2 questions.

1) Do you think I could shift 200 odd copies as this is what I would need to break even really. I have thought about approching the club / trust for help?

2) Anyone work as or know a decent printer who could handle this job at a decent rate?

Poll is annoymous but please vote realisitically.

Finally those that know my old man please dont ruin the suprise. Its not a secret as such that he is writing a book but it really is for himself. I however think its to good a read to be stuck in only his bookcase.

Last edited:
If you target it correctly, you could probably shift 200 copies. There are probably a fair few on here who would buy one - and if you spoke to the club shop / trust then they might be willing to help promote it.

Didn't Bob Sills price his a bit below that with half the money going to the Trust? They were still selling it the last time I was in The Shrimpers (admitedly quite some time ago) and it might give your old man a bigger platform. Personally I'd buy one mainly because your old man is a good laugh and I suspect there would be a few good tales in there.....go for it mate.

Great idea Dave - nice thought for the old fella. As BA Baracus says above, I'd buy it 'cos I've met him and can see how he'd probably have a few good stories in him.

Can you shift 200 copies though?
On paper it seems like a small amount, but if I'm being realistic with you, shifting 200 at £10-£12 each may actually prove difficult. If you do target it properly, then you will probably get there but I think it's going to involve a fair amount of time and effort just on the sales and marketing side. If you sell over the net or by post, then you've got to prepare for a lot of time and effort from a fulfilment perspective.

Your best bet would certainly be to get the distribution right - lower revenue per book but far more books sold with less effort. Generally this should mean a percentage fee for the Trust/Club Shop, etc for every book they sell.

Best of luck if you do it though mate and put my name down for a pre-order.

Great idea Dave - nice thought for the old fella. As BA Baracus says above, I'd buy it 'cos I've met him and can see how he'd probably have a few good stories in him.

Can you shift 200 copies though?
On paper it seems like a small amount, but if I'm being realistic with you, shifting 200 at £10-£12 each may actually prove difficult. If you do target it properly, then you will probably get there but I think it's going to involve a fair amount of time and effort just on the sales and marketing side. If you sell over the net or by post, then you've got to prepare for a lot of time and effort from a fulfilment perspective.

Your best bet would certainly be to get the distribution right - lower revenue per book but far more books sold with less effort. Generally this should mean a percentage fee for the Trust/Club Shop, etc for every book they sell.

Best of luck if you do it though mate.

Cheers mate,

The £10-£12 cost is not me looking to make a profit but quotes I have had so far are coming in at £1800+VAT for 200 copies so cutting the costs might not be an option. I would just like to get his story out therre for a bit personal satisfaction.

They will do it cheaper if I order more but realistically its a fairly small target market.

:thump:

Cheers for support.

I like many have read and thouroughly enjoyed Bob Sills book and was only thinking recently how good another would be.

I think it would be a winner and would like to pre order my copy!!!

Thanks mate

Only 198 to go......

:hilarious:

Well not really seeing as an hour or so in you've got 17 people interested in it (me included)!

How much of a sample are you using from this poll to decide whether or not you will be able to shift 200 copies? E.g. once it hit 50 or something?

Well not really seeing as an hour or so in you've got 17 people interested in it (me included)!

How much of a sample are you using from this poll to decide whether or not you will be able to shift 200 copies? E.g. once it hit 50 or something?

Not really sure at this stage. I only got the idea after Mrs DtS and I were at his for lunch last Sunday so its quite ealry stages for me really.

A MASSIVE thanks to Naps for a great email he has just sent me.

DtS

I have a book coming out called 'ESC : the agony and ecstasy'.

It chronicles my experiences supporting Southend United home and away in the Essex senior cup.

I don't want to give too much away (buy the book if you are interested) but there some great moments such as:

- Walking into a firm pub by mistake and having to go toe to toe with Maldon Towns top boy

- Blagging my way into the directors box at Heybridge by pretending to be Danny Kerrigan.

Last edited:
of course you'd shift 200, bloody hell ok heres a catchment of people that would buy it
1 Your dads friends and family work friends neighbourghs20-30
2 southend united supporters 100-120
3 football fans in general 50-60
4 shrimpzone readers and palls 30 50

local authors can easily get a article in the echo or other local newspapers (as long as someones shed hasnt been broken into. Media outlets on this board the shrimpers trust board, at roots hall on matchdays. and of course local shops who arnt part of chains

you go for it son

of course you'd shift 200, bloody hell ok heres a catchment of people that would buy it
1 Your dads friends and family work friends neighbourghs20-30
2 southend united supporters 100-120
3 football fans in general 50-60
4 shrimpzone readers and palls 30 50

local authors can easily get a article in the echo or other local newspapers (as long as someones shed hasnt been broken into. Media outlets on this board the shrimpers trust board, at roots hall on matchdays. and of course local shops who arnt part of chains

you go for it son

Would somebody like Sportspages not look at something like this also?
Or even stick the last few that didn't shift on eBay?

Not sure what your timing is, but if you can get it out in the run-up to Christmas (either this year or next year) you'll probably be able to shift a few more copies as I'm sure it would make a decent present for any Southend fan.

I used to work for a courier company in Leigh and we did a lot of work for printers.There is a gentleman by the name of Brian Green who is a season ticket holder.He used to be a director of silvara print.I know they have been gone for a long time now but i would think he could give you a push in the right direction.He is very approachable.You will find him in the main bar in the east stand at half time and after the game A tall guy with a moustache and slightly greying wavy hair.

A bit of celebrity endorsment by celebrity Southend fans - sorted. I'm sure Terry Alderton / Alison Moyet agents are easily contactable.

Back