• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Would you really want Southend to "do a Chelski".

Where would you like to see the Blues

• Total voters

DTS

The Business
Mrs DtS and I were having a chat last night about football which I must confess is not Mrs DtS strong point but she does her best bless her.

Anyway she said wouldnt it be cool if a mutli-rich billion air brought the Blues and made us into one of Europes largest clubs.

I had a brief think about it but I am not convinced. I quite like the fact that Southend are a sort of local club for local people and the fact that were not amazing.

I also think half the romance of Southend is the fact that they always build you up to most of the time let you down but I kind of love that.

I would hate for people to say who do you support and when I say Southend they say "Glory Hunter" or all that sort of stuff.

That said the idea of going to Old Trafford one week and then the Nou Camp then next with Southend does appeal.

What do you think.

Last edited:
Obviously i'd like to see us win trophies and be successful, but not at the expense of the soul of the club being ripped out by some Russian shipping or oil magnate with a wallet bigger than Tommy Black's waistline.

A friend of mine was a Chelsea fan all of his life, went to see them almost every game until the Abramovich era. Now, he's a season ticket holder at Woking, saying he can't stand to be at Stamford Bridge alongside the type of people that go there now.

i just want to see the blues have potential for bigger things... not to get to a stage and feel that it's impossible to go further. we are a big town with a large catchment area and not many big teams too close, no reason in the future why we cant have prem aspirations... and even then i would hope to gradually establish ourselves.

I think it's going to be quite interesting to see how QPR get on as they are apparently now officially the world's richest team. Despite that, they are still a relatively small and unfashionable club with a manager who hasn't exactly had much experience in handling such a large budget in Ian Dowie. I still have my doubts as to whether they are really going to be able to break back and establish themselves in the Premiership.

Great question Dave.

For me, as impossible as it might seem right now, nothing would compare with Southend doing it the right way, investing in the stadium, driving revenues from the retail complex, getting ourselves to a level where we can compete with clubs in the Championship over the longer term, building our fan base all the time, and then flirting with the Premier League.

Even if Chelsea win the European Cup, with the money they've spent these last few years, it still all seems just a little hollow.

I had a similar conversation with my missus after watching the Champions League semi finals.

I have a real dislike of Chelsea, their players (with some exceptions) are nasty pieces of work, moaners, cheaters and mercenaries. I said it must be a shame for those fans who supported Chelsea from 5 years ago and further when they must struggle to feel any affinity to the players, and struggle to get tickets for games or afford it any more.

I vividly recall watching Liverpool win and celebrate the UEFA cup in 2001 with a mate, who said wasnt it shame we dont experience things like that. Bare in mind this was when we were in the middle of a dire spell in the bottom division. We kind of agreed that actually, we quite liked being Southend fans as you kind of appreciate the minor 'successes' so much more.

Whilst the image of Solskaer nicking the winner against Bayern will mean so much to dirty Mancs, the image of Jupp running away madly in celebration means just as much to us, but there are fewer who share that experience which makes it more unique to those that do. Id imagine I would share far more affinity to a fellow average Southend fan than a Chelsea / Man U fan would with a fellow fan.

Even when it was dire in the late 90's and early 00's (I started watching in 86/87 so do not remember the problems of the 80's), I still loved going as it was a chance to catch up with mates, get a ticket 5 minutes before kick off, and when we were not challenging for honours and our players where w@nkers (thanks Mr Little) a defeat didnt ruin my weekend. When we have the good times (which for us are being in the upper half of the 3rd tier) it is appreciated so much more (well ok you always get your Wiggy's and TKK's).

Now, to be a Chelsea fan you would be disappointed with coming 3rd in the Premier league, and not winning at least one cup. Local players are not going to come through the ranks, and you will continually have to justify yourself to others that you are not a glory hunter / supported them prior to Abramovich. Im sure at the beginning of Chelsea's success the fans loved their new found seat at the top table, but now Im sure there must be some who long for the days of John Bumstead (always my favourate name in the old Panini sticker albums!) and Kerry Dixon.

I guess we dont support Southend because they are good or succesful, but for reasons of geography, ancestry etc, which give us a more emotional investment in the team. THerefore I would not want to go down the Chelsea route. Of course I want to see us be as succesful as possible, but to me that would be by good management by a local hero and a Chairman who runs the club as a viable business, being skippered by a local lad and having a star striker purchase for just a few grand.

For me, as impossible as it might seem right now, nothing would compare with Southend doing it the right way, investing in the stadium, driving revenues from the retail complex, getting ourselves to a level where we can compete with clubs in the Championship over the longer term, building our fan base all the time, and then flirting with the Premier League.
Spot on. I'd go for that too. I wouldn't want to be bought out by a moneybags... I'd far rather that, if we got there at all, we did it under our own steam.

Matt

Yeah we dont want no super rich bloke, lets do it our way and be successful, would make us a lot more grateful for the success, not like those chelski nomads who aint got a clue where chelsea is they wear the shirt cos its fashion!!!!

PLASTIC SUPPORTERS :finger:

Spot on. I'd go for that too. I wouldn't want to be bought out by a moneybags... I'd far rather that, if we got there at all, we did it under our own steam.

Matt

Playing devils advocate though mate the chances are we arent going to be able to do it off the back of our own steam.

When I was a kid the big five were the same as they are now with possible exception of Chelsea replacing Spurs and it has always been that way post war as far as I can see.

The chances are that you and I as Southend fans will never see Juve at the Hall in a match that matters, or even be able to take the **** out of a Liverpool fan as we have done the double of them.

Is it so wrong to want sucess at the price of losing your identity a bit.

(For what its worth I think it is wrong)

:dim:

I had a similar conversation with my missus after watching the Champions League semi finals.

I have a real dislike of Chelsea, their players (with some exceptions) are nasty pieces of work, moaners, cheaters and mercenaries. I said it must be a shame for those fans who supported Chelsea from 5 years ago and further when they must struggle to feel any affinity to the players, and struggle to get tickets for games or afford it any more.

I vividly recall watching Liverpool win and celebrate the UEFA cup in 2001 with a mate, who said wasnt it shame we dont experience things like that. Bare in mind this was when we were in the middle of a dire spell in the bottom division. We kind of agreed that actually, we quite liked being Southend fans as you kind of appreciate the minor 'successes' so much more.

Whilst the image of Solskaer nicking the winner against Bayern will mean so much to dirty Mancs, the image of Jupp running away madly in celebration means just as much to us, but there are fewer who share that experience which makes it more unique to those that do. Id imagine I would share far more affinity to a fellow average Southend fan than a Chelsea / Man U fan would with a fellow fan.

Even when it was dire in the late 90's and early 00's (I started watching in 86/87 so do not remember the problems of the 80's), I still loved going as it was a chance to catch up with mates, get a ticket 5 minutes before kick off, and when we were not challenging for honours and our players where w@nkers (thanks Mr Little) a defeat didnt ruin my weekend. When we have the good times (which for us are being in the upper half of the 3rd tier) it is appreciated so much more (well ok you always get your Wiggy's and TKK's).

Now, to be a Chelsea fan you would be disappointed with coming 3rd in the Premier league, and not winning at least one cup. Local players are not going to come through the ranks, and you will continually have to justify yourself to others that you are not a glory hunter / supported them prior to Abramovich. Im sure at the beginning of Chelsea's success the fans loved their new found seat at the top table, but now Im sure there must be some who long for the days of John Bumstead (always my favourate name in the old Panini sticker albums!) and Kerry Dixon.

I guess we dont support Southend because they are good or succesful, but for reasons of geography, ancestry etc, which give us a more emotional investment in the team. THerefore I would not want to go down the Chelsea route. Of course I want to see us be as succesful as possible, but to me that would be by good management by a local hero and a Chairman who runs the club as a viable business, being skippered by a local lad and having a star striker purchase for just a few grand.

Cant argue with any of that!

Of course I would love us to be successful but even if we were taken over by a billionaire its still not garaunteed to happen by any means.

Playing devils advocate though mate the chances are we arent going to be able to do it off the back of our own steam.

When I was a kid the big five were the same as they are now with possible exception of Chelsea replacing Spurs and it has always been that way post war as far as I can see.

The chances are that you and I as Southend fans will never see Juve at the Hall in a match that matters, or even be able to take the **** out of a Liverpool fan as we have done the double of them.

But that's the thing, surely we just operate on a different level. We may never see Juve at the Hall (Ok almost certainly we wont, but we are unlikely to see them at Fossett's either...) but we would probably be just as excited if we drew Newcastle in the cup as Man U would be if they drew Juve in the Champions league. We may not ever be able to brag that we did the double over Liverpool, but we would take as much pleasure in doing the double over Colchester as Liverpool would doing the double over Everton. Im not sure what Chelsea would have to achieve for their fans to experience the euphoria we did when we beat Lincoln, or Bristol City, or Man Utd....probably have to win the Premier league or Champions league (even winning the FA Cup didnt seem to satiate their fans).

I'd like the club how they are now, obviously, I want the team to win trophies and being in the premiership, but so would most (if not all) the supporters. No, I'm happy with the way the club is run and I'm more than happy supporting a well supported club which I think has great potential to become a regular championship club. That's my opinion.

I know one or two 'old school' Chelsea fans who are a little bit disillusioned with how things have gone in recent years, feeling they've lost 'their' club a bit.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if we were in a position to be winning the FA Cup or Premier League on a regular basis. But part of the appeal of being a Southend fan is that sense of locality and of not having to share success when it comes with berks from all over the country who have no real familial or local ties with the club.

Oh, we'll never be in the big 4 or 5, for sure. But is what (say) Middlesbrough or Pompey have achieved completely beyond us? A UEFA Cup Final (for the former), FA Cup Final etc. etc....?

I don't know how much their chairmen have personally bankrolled them, mind. But if we are to have a summit to our ambitions, then that's the sort of thing we can and should be aiming for, isn't it?

Matt

To be fair to Portsmouth though, even when they were struggling in the depths of Div 2 they still had a strong hardcore element of support.

I know it was a hypothetical question, but lets face it, its never gonna happen. Remember our brief flirt with the top of the second tier of football under Mr. Fry. I think we all were so excited, but realised that if we went up, it would have been a disaster, because it poses too many questions that we wernt ready to answer.

Do we want the hype that goes with Premiership teams now?

Do we want to change the identity of the club from being a family or community club into being a franchise?

Do we want to sign footballers for obscene amounts of money from the **** end of Africa, who have no idea where Southend is on the map? (slightly right of London, is how I have to describe it to Spaniards)

The heart would be ripped out of the club, and yes I know EVERY club wants more supporers, to bring better players, to be financially sound, after all, it is a business, but would the supporters welcome new fans?

Money doesnt bring happyness..Look at Leeds and to a lesser extent Blackburn.

Maybe the only good example of how it's worked is Reading, ALWAYS a Division 4 team in my youth, had a Mr Money bags take over and with good investment, progressed with the town and community.

To be honest I am quite happy watching poor football in this league with a loyal fanbase and occasionally flirting with the Championship.

Do we want to sign footballers for obscene amounts of money from the **** end of Africa, who have no idea where Southend is on the map? (slightly right of London, is how I have to describe it to Spaniards)

The heart would be ripped out of the club, and yes I know EVERY club wants more supporers, to bring better players, to be financially sound, after all, it is a business, but would the supporters welcome new fans?

Money doesnt bring happyness..Look at Leeds and to a lesser extent Blackburn.

Maybe the only good example of how it's worked is Reading, ALWAYS a Division 4 team in my youth, had a Mr Money bags take over and with good investment, progressed with the town and community.

To a far lesser extent Blackburn. They're doing just fine and have won both a Premier League title and League Cup in the last 13 years, not to mention played in the UEFA Cup a few times.

Reading have lots of African players too. In fact there are probably quite a few British players who don't know where Southend is. David Unsworth famously stayed at Aston villa for only a short while - he hadn't realised quite how far Birmingham was from his Liverpool home...

i was using Africa as an example...could be anywhere, and yes I'm sure there are many British players are equally poor at map reading. But you get my point.
Yea blackburn have had some success with the cash injection, but many of thier supporters dont actually think it's helped the club long term. Leeds had some Eurpean success with the cash, but that didnt help (as well as having a currupt board). Thats the point, would the board of directers we have in place should it ever happen, lets face it, RM wouldnt be there and anyone who brings in millions would want thier own board, would they have the club and its supporters in thir minds, or how to line thier own pockets?

Back