• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Chris Phillips saying that picture is back page of the echo. Maybe we are after ikpeazu from Crewe, I think that's the other guy in the picture. If not could KD be brought in as a player/coach?

Abdul Osman is the other guy in the photo, Davies is at the forefront of the picture must be about him

Penney has gone and so somebody needs to replace him in terms of coaching. KD is very experienced and attack minded, could be a good bit of business this. Player coach role being a backup striker

Could be a shrewd move as a striker coach similar to what P Smith is doing with the keepers

I don't have a massive issue with Davies maybe coming to Southend. Saying he hasn't scored much in recent years is irrelevant, lets face it he never scored loads in his prime. He, like Heskey, brought more to the game than goalscoring. However if you are going to bring an older striker in surely Cureton would be a better option, at least we know he can play a good amount of matches and can hit the back of the net.

Brown had already said we need another coach so could see the attraction of coming here to kick start his coaching career as a player coach.

How is he an upgrade on Corr when Corr has shown he will get double figures every season?

From Chris Phillips latest tweets not even sure we are interested in him so might be one of his misleading cryptic tweets.

Davies has scored goals in league 1, Corr didn't even have the bollocks to test himself in league 1! Davies has proved himself over the years to be a great target man

He is 38, that's pretty old for a footballer.

Could be a striker coach, and he could play if we really need him...wouldn't be against that.

Davies has scored goals in league 1, Corr didn't even have the bollocks to test himself in league 1! Davies has proved himself over the years to be a great target man

Strangely because someone offered him double his salary for what might be his last ever contract...

Davies only scored one goal in 43 games in league one last season, he may have been a great target man once, but he isnt a goal scorer based on last season.

He is now old and past it, his recent record in league 1 shows that.

He would certainly bring a different side to the coaching. We have had both Coughlan and Brown as coaches who were both defensive players.

Bringing Davies in would be good for that attacking/goal scoring aspect which lacked last season.

I'd love to see us signing him and think his experience will be pivotal to continued success.

Davies has scored goals in League 1? Yeah a grand total of one goal in League 1 last season, really impressive League 1 scoring record for a striker that.

He is 38, that's pretty old for a footballer.

Could be a striker coach, and he could play if we really need him...wouldn't be against that.

I think Jamie Cureton has proven that age is but a number if you keep your body in good nick and look after yourself.

Too many people are looking at Wikipedia and deciding he's useless because of his Preston stats, but he's never been a prolific goalscorer as that isn't really what he's about. Davies is a physical, battering ram type player who will hold the ball up, make a nuisance of himself, bully the opposition defence and create space for others. I'm more interested in his assists. He got 7 assists in 8 starts and 24 sub appearances last season which is very good. The stats don't include second assists or key balls, but I'd have a fairly good guess that he had a hand in a good number of goals last season.

Would be very happy indeed if we got Davies in. Big name, former England player that would secure a few more season ticket sales and would pass on wisdom and experience to a young squad, as well as doing a decent job for us. Great player to pair with Mooney, although we'd still need another couple of strikers as I'm fairly sure Davies doesn't have 90 minutes left in his legs!

Back