• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Would you want Jose now?

Options

• Total voters

DTS

The Business
Totally hypohetical questions I know but.....

Was on train today with Mrs DtS coming into work and we were talking Jose being sackedat Chelsea.

Mrs DtS who does know a fiar bit about football in fairness said Steve Tilson better watch out now as Jose could be Roots Hall bound.

This got me thinking would I swap him for Tilly.

The answer I have come to is No - I wouldn't swap Tilly for Jose.

JM is obviously a great manager but I dont think he could cut it with no cash and I would doubt his loyalty.

Would you have Tilly or Jose given the choice which you wont be.

i would argue that tilly has a better record in the transfer market than mourinho. managing lower league footie on a shoe-string budget is COMPLETELY different to managing Chelsea and there bottomless pit of money.

tilly is my man

Tilly all the way, he is st Southend for the club not the money

Erm, Mourhino for me. No offence, but come on? I'd have him over Tilly.

There is a great piece in The Times that looks at JM's style of management vs Abramovich's desires for Chelsea, it basically says that he wants a team of hardworking players with no perceived "stars" and was provided with quite the opposite in the end. So I think he would cope on a budget as he would want to build a team that works for him.

Still would stick with Sir Steve at RH though, can't see the "Special One" in such a small technical area.

I'd want to stick with Tilson, it's a different world down here and Tilson is part of a long-term plan at this club which has already worked spectacularly well.

Mind you if the insane few that want Tilson out get their way, I'll take Mourinho as a replacement. Better than Glenn (Agent) Roeder (who would be the best we could attract non-hypothetically) anyday.

I can't believe people are actually saying they'd have Steve Tilson over Jose Mourhino at Southend.

Unbelievable.

Sod budgets and loyalty and all that poppycock- Jose has won the Champions League with Porto, the Premiership twice, the League Cup twice, the FA Cup and turned an average Premiership team into one of the best clubs in Europe, all in three years.

I love Tilson, but come on people. If this is a serious question then there's one answer for me- Mourhino. In a shot.

Last edited:
Alvin Martin was Sacked when did this happen :o personally i like Jose, love to see him at the hall, not at the cost of tilson though!

I'd have Steve Wignall over both of them.

What about a joint management team of Steve Wignall and Alvin Martin? Wiggers can take care of the tactical side of things whilst Alvin can use his shrewd knowledge of the transfer market to bring some bargains in...?

I can't believe people are actually saying they'd have Steve Tilson over Jose Mourhino at Southend.

Unbelievable.

Sod budgets and loyalty and all that poppycock- Jose has won the Champions League with Porto, the Premiership twice, the League Cup twice, the FA Cup and turned an average Premiership team into one of the best clubs in Europe, all in three years.

I love Tilson, but come on people. If this is a serious question then there's one answer for me- Mourhino. In a shot.

Sorry James but if the question is should we sack a tremendous club servant who has been both unswervingly loyal and successful during a total of around 15 years at our club, and is part of a team that has got results on and off the pitch, to bring in someone with no ties to the club or the area, with no contacts at this level just when we are starting to turn the corner again makes no sense.

Mourinho is a brilliant manager and a master tactician, and he would probably do well at this level after finding his feet and adapting to the huge difference from the Premiership, but I wouldn't treat Tilson like that for anyone.

Sorry James but if the question is should we sack a tremendous club servant who has been both unswervingly loyal and successful during a total of around 15 years at our club, and is part of a team that has got results on and off the pitch, to bring in someone with no ties to the club or the area, with no contacts at this level just when we are starting to turn the corner again makes no sense.

Mourinho is a brilliant manager and a master tactician, and he would probably do well at this level after finding his feet and adapting to the huge difference from the Premiership, but I wouldn't treat Tilson like that for anyone.

You're obviously more loyal to Tilson than i am then Jai.

Last edited:
Back