• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Would you want Southend to become a football super power.

Options

• L1 side

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • L2 side

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DTS

The Business
I was watching TV in bed last night with the Mrs when the BBC did a news article on Fulhams pending cup final tonight.

Now I personally seem to be in a minority of one and its no doubt because I am jealous but I dont like Fulham.

As a kid they were a total nothing side and we seemed to beat them at will at times. I really dont like the fact Al-Fayed has come in and pumped money into them to buy sucess (I accept not as much as many other chairman) and there gates are basically full of Japs, Safers and Ozzies that dont really seem to support Fulham.

The Mrs said I was only jealous and if someone would come into Southend and pump money in Abramovic style I would love it

I have been pondering this but I really dont think being a Super Power (not Fulham but more Chelsea like) would appeal to me for the club. I cant say that a trip to Germany for a cup final isnt a massive appeal but there is so much that dosent appeal.

I have to say as much as we moan I actaully quite like the fact that the Blues are a local side that do their best in tough times. I dont think I personally would want us to be a top side unless maybe it happened organcially.

So in the ideal world where would you see us.

I would love for us to have a nice rich owner who lets us buy decent players. All I ask if for us to be better than Colchester. I would love to be in the 'Europa League' final but unfortunately that will never happen. I wish Fulham all the best of luck and Al-Fayed has now sold Harrods for £1.5 Billion maybe Fulham FC will push for the premier league title? Have a brand new massive ground and spend £100m signing the likes of Messi?

Richard Branson would be my dream owner, if he bought Southend United I would be very excited, couldn't see it happening.

So in answer to your question Yes I would love us to be a super power but the main objective is to be better than the scum up the A12.

I don't want us to become a Super Power like Chelsea, expecting to win every game and win every cup would be just boring. I would like to be a good Premiership side (Sunderland, NOT Bolton (hate them!)) or a lower Premiership team.

I would love for us to have a nice rich owner who lets us buy decent players. All I ask if for us to be better than Colchester. I would love to be in the 'Europa League' final but unfortunately that will never happen. I wish Fulham all the best of luck and Al-Fayed has now sold Harrods for £1.5 Billion maybe Fulham FC will push for the premier league title? Have a brand new massive ground and spend £100m signing the likes of Messi?

I heard that he is looking to sell Fulham too.

I think the constant refusals of citizenship (and the Royal familiy assasinating his Son ;) ) have finally taken their toll and he is getting out

Rather be a west bromich albion style team . They experience the highs and lows on a regular basis. Quality in the championship and a struggle in the premier.

How boring would it be to just make the numbers in the premier year after year

I wouldnt want to be a super power, BUT, I would just like one or two seasons playing some of the best teams in the world whilst wearing a Southend shirt, how proud will that make us all feel.

Championship is my favourite league.. Big clubs, little clubs.. fear of relegation coupled with the occasional brief flirtation with a play off spot mid season

Yeah I'd like to be a good championship side. Get to the premiership but wouldn't be too depressed when we get relegated.
Just like Tommy said, would get really bored just being a premiership club finishing bottom half all the time.

Big Champ / Small Prem side would be superb. You see prem fans bloated by constant success and how arrogant they are, and I don't want that. But I certainly want more than we have now.

Good championship occasional forays into Prem would be a dream come true.
Solid prem side year in year out could get very dull after a while (thinking of someone like Middlesbrough before they got relegated)
World domination like Chelsea and we lose our identity. Can't stand the thought of loads of home counties nerds singing "Southend and we're proud of it" or "Our pier is longer than yours"

A West Brom type side would be ideal.

Good, solid Championship side that averages around 18,000 - 20,000 that makes the Premiership for a season or 2 before dropping back down would be lovely.

Couple of seasons playing the likes of Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool and pulling off the occassion shock result. Couldn't be a lower half Premiership side just making up the numbers.

I'd love it if we were big enough so that you could buy fake Southend shirts on holiday.

.... with lots of Asian kids running around in Southend shirts and a load of Mancs where Southend shirts too.

Al-fayad did pump money into Fulham but that stopped when they got to the premier league so he's hardly been an Abromavitch-style sugar-daddy. Despite having modest crowd attendances they seem to be financially viable, well run and don't have delusions of grandeur which makes a refreshing change from most of the Premier League lot.

Fulham don't have the fan base of the other London Prem clubs so they make up for it by allowing neutral fans to go into the away end at matches. I think this is a brilliant idea as there are plenty of people that want to go to a live match just for a night out, you try getting a ticket to see a Premier League match anywhere else in London unless its against someone like Bolton or Wigan you've got no chance. The only other option is to go watch the likes of Brentwood, Orient or QPR and, well, that's like going on holiday to Butlins when you want to go to the Bahamas.

One day I hope we become an established Championship team with a few cup runs and maybe the odd flirtation with the play-offs. Right now though I'd settle for knowing the club will still be in existence in 5 years time.

I wouldnt be unhappy with being a decent stable side in Championship, with some strong runs in both cup competitions !!

Ideally a high Championship side but I chose the whatever will be option, as long as we have a club to support I will always be proud to support Southend.

I don't think I would complain if we had a wealthy backer, but I think I would much rather have a club that is self-sufficient and organically gains a larger supporter base year on year and gradually rises through the leagues. The aim is always the top though.

I was watching TV in bed last night with the Mrs when the BBC did a news article on Fulhams pending cup final tonight.

Now I personally seem to be in a minority of one and its no doubt because I am jealous but I dont like Fulham.

As a kid they were a total nothing side and we seemed to beat them at will at times. I really dont like the fact Al-Fayed has come in and pumped money into them to buy sucess (I accept not as much as many other chairman) and there gates are basically full of Japs, Safers and Ozzies that dont really seem to support Fulham.

The Mrs said I was only jealous and if someone would come into Southend and pump money in Abramovic style I would love it

I have been pondering this but I really dont think being a Super Power (not Fulham but more Chelsea like) would appeal to me for the club. I cant say that a trip to Germany for a cup final isnt a massive appeal but there is so much that dosent appeal.

I have to say as much as we moan I actaully quite like the fact that the Blues are a local side that do their best in tough times. I dont think I personally would want us to be a top side unless maybe it happened organcially.

So in the ideal world where would you see us.

I actually think Fulham are actually a decent, traditional little family club. Their ground is miles better than most of today's premiership grounds and the club itself, despite being bought out by a multi-millionaire who has strong roots in the area, has managed to retain its integrity. I met up with fulham on the Reeperbahn when they were over and their away support isn't as gentrified as many are led to believe. Met quite a few blokes/lads from traditional Fulham supporting areas (Tooting anyone?) and they were a far cry from the middle-class, hooray-Henry type.

Wouldn't would Southend to be anymore than a Championship club, if we wanted anything more why not just support West Ham, like practically everybody in in Southend.

Wouldn't would Southend to be anymore than a Championship club, if we wanted anything more why not just support West Ham, like practically everybody in in Southend.
You're saying if you desire a team who has some success why not support West Ham? Well, because I'm not from London but Southend? I want more than the CCC, I can't see how people are happy to settle for mediocrity. Don't get me wrong, I quite like being a small club, but that doesn't mean I don't desire successive promotions and shots at the top leagues?

Back