• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Shrimp in a Kilt

The 10 points the crooks at the Football League docked Wrexham have finally proved too much and they are relegated. I have e-mailed the football league to express my admiration for the firm and fair way that they have dealt with Wrexham for the terrible crime of being stiched up by Alex Hamilton. What has this got to do with Southend? Because if they get away with it at Wrexham, any club could be next. We seem to have come out smelling of roses with MD, but a lot of us were very worried for a long time that something along the lines of Wrexham could be our fate. I have sent the following to the Football League, and it wouldn't hurt if more of the same was sent.

fl@football-league.co.uk

Dear Sirs,

I have waited to write to you until it was clear what effect docking 10 points from Wrexham would have. It is now clear. They have been relegated. There is a charge that managers and players often receive - Bringing the Game Into Disrepute. That charge should clearly be laid at your door. Wrexham have been punished twice. Once by having the misfortune to fall into the hands of someone who even the national press, with their fixation with the Premiersh*t, have realised is not a "Fit and Proper Person" to run a football club. In fact he has driven  a well-loved grass roots family club to the brink of bankruptcy and dissolution for pure financial gain. Twice by being docked 10 points for that misfortune.

I appreciate that clubs were perceived as abusing the refuge of Administration to avoid the consequences of their own reckless behaviour, to the detriment of their better run fellow clubs. I understand that you felt that a deterent was needed. But the deterent you have chosen is a blunt instrument indeed. Cambridge have shown just how blunt and inequitable it is. They have in fact made a laughing stock of the Football League. The 10 points that Wrexham have lost because of one man's selfish actions has cost them dearly. The 10 points that Cambridge have lost means almost nothing, and was no deterent at all.

Honourable men and women would have recognised the injustice of what was happening very early, and would have sought to rectify that injustice. Why have you not done so? To allow Wrexham to continue to suffer at the hands of Alex Hamilton, to ignore the fact that docking them 10 points was a punishment not of that man (indeed, it may be seen by many to have helped him) but of the thousands of Wrexham fans up and down the country who are currently fighting to save their club.

It is not too late to make a difference. Regain the honour that you have lost. Launch an immediate investigation into Alex Hamilton's fitness to run a Football Club. And restore to Wrexham the 10 points that they should never have lost. I met many of those Wrexham fans when the team I love, Southend, played Wrexham at Cardiff in the LDV Final. They were a complete credit to League Football. They are the ones who are being punished. Act now!

Yours in anger and frustration

Tom Lister
Ceol Na Mara
Aultbea
Ross-shire
IV22 2HZ

The 10-point penalty is ridiculous, the team who escapes relegation because of this cannot claim they deserved to stay up - Wrexham would be in mid-table if not for the points deductions. They would probably have even more points, as the pressure of the relegation struggle often only makes games harder to win.

My sympathies go out to the club and their fans, they put up a great fight against relegation when it must have felt that the world was against them after the points deduction, unfortunately for them the penalty was too great.

Nearly everyone I've spoken to since I got back has told me how great their fans were at Cardiff, they don't deserve such a plight. Still, my best wishes go out to them and I hope they show the FL how stupid they are by bouncing straight back up next season to the league they belong in.

This whole business of deducting 10 points for going into administration is killing the clubs at grass roots level.

When a club is on its knees and struggling to pay its staff and put results together the Football bodies should be offering help not using this hardline approach.

Perhaps this is all part of the masterplan that one-by-one the smaller clubs disappear leaving more fans for Sky TV and the Premier$hite/Championship clubs to coax into their grounds.

Well not me at any cost so come on guys its time for the small clubs to fight for the rights of teams like Cambridge, Wrexham etc. Get those letters off now!

P.S. If it were C********r or Orient in the same position then would the same opinion be vented?
rock.gif

Come on, that feels like an opinion poll in the making!
tounge.gif

Another ironic twist is that the deduction could well keep Milton Keynes Dons, another example of the authorities shafting over the fans, in League One.

whilst I'm sorry for Wrexham the 10 point penalty is to stop clubs going into administation and avoiding their responsibilities for their debt like Ipswich and Leicester who left countless small firms right up sh*t creekand then merrily carried on as though nothing had happened.
I actually think it's the one and only decisive decision made by the football league in its history.
I just wish they could have been as decisive about MK Dons who I sincerely hope will be relegated this weekend.

But in this case it clearly wasn't administration for "gain"

It was too early in the season for starters.....

the 10 points should be reinstated as there was no attempt to seek any advantage by going into administration. Unlike Cambridge who have timed theirs so that the 10 points mean nothing.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (C'mon you Blues @ May 04 2005,08:57)]whilst I'm sorry for Wrexham the 10 point penalty is to stop clubs going into administation and avoiding their responsibilities for their debt like Ipswich and Leicester who left countless small firms right up sh*t creekand then merrily carried on as though nothing had happened.
I actually think it's the one and only decisive decision made by the football league in its history.
I just wish they could have been as decisive about MK Dons who I sincerely hope will be relegated this weekend.
Agreed. I don't have much sympathy for them either. After all, they voted for it too.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jai @ May 04 2005,08:49)]Another ironic twist is that the deduction could well keep Milton Keynes Dons, another example of the authorities shafting over the fans, in League One.
Which gives us yet another reason to cheer on Col u's opposition!!

On the same logic, we need to be cheering on Constantine....

wow.gif

in the long run, the 10 point deduction is a bad idea, it will beasically see all the skint clubs in relegation dogfights while clubs with any money will be able to rise to the top

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kenny @ May 04 2005,10:36)]in the long run, the 10 point deduction is a bad idea, it will beasically see all the skint clubs in relegation dogfights while clubs with any money will be able to rise to the top
hopefully in the long run it will force clubs to act responsibly as businesses and live within their means. My brother told me about the local club he supports in Essex (non league by the way) being visited by the FA finacial assessors and them being told off the record it was "nice visiting one of the only 2 solvent clubs in Essex".
Needless to say it's a small club who's chairman will not spend money he hasn't got and so are only moderately successful.
The long term aim of the Football league is to have a league full of solvent clubs and not a league full of irresponsible clubs "in administration".

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ May 04 2005,09:35)]Northwich Victoria managed to stay up, why couldnt Wrexham!

wow.gif
I'm with you on this Napster.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (londonblue @ May 04 2005,09:21)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (C'mon you Blues @ May 04 2005,08:57)]whilst I'm sorry for Wrexham the 10 point penalty is to stop clubs going into administation and avoiding their responsibilities for their debt like Ipswich and Leicester who left countless small firms right up sh*t creekand then merrily carried on as though nothing had happened.
Agreed. I don't have much sympathy for them either. After all, they voted for it too.
Neither of you seem to have bothered to read my letter. The reason they got shafted 10 points is they went into administration. But the reason they went into administration is nothing to do with extravagent living or trying to buy success. It is because they have been bought by someone who is now busy asset stripping them, and looks likely to drive the club out of the league because they now have nowhere to play. It is in Hamilton's interests to see the club fold. Not long ago it was a common theory on here that MD would like to see us in the Conference for similar reasons. We were lucky, Wrexham were not. And yes they voted for it - or actually Hamilton voted for it. Funny that.

And another thing. 10 points is supposed to be the MAXIMUM penalty, not the only one. The idea was fine in theory, but in practice it has helped MK Dons at the expense of the Wrexham fans, and Cambridge have just laughed at it and it has meant nothing to them. They will now start in the Conference with a clean-ish financial slate, to the disadvantage of the other clubs. This system plain DOESN'T WORK and we need to back Wrexham before something similar happens to other grass roots clubs. Clearly the Football League don't give a flying one!

mad.gif
mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ May 04 2005,12:22)]Cambridge have just laughed at it and it has meant nothing to them. They will now start in the Conference with a clean-ish financial slate, to the disadvantage of the other clubs.
actually, cambridge will not be allowed into the Conference if they are in administration. Last laugh's on them.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ May 04 2005,12:36)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ May 04 2005,12:22)]Cambridge have just laughed at it and it has meant nothing to them. They will now start in the Conference with a clean-ish financial slate, to the disadvantage of the other clubs.
actually, cambridge will not be allowed into the Conference if they are in administration. Last laugh's on them.
Didn't know that... But the 10 points still was absolutely no deterrent was it? It's far too blunt an instrument, wielded by an indifferent and arrogant Football League.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ May 04 2005,12:41)]But the 10 points still was absolutely no deterrent was it? It's far too blunt an instrument, wielded by an indifferent and arrogant Football League.
so what's the alternative?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (C'mon you Blues @ May 04 2005,12:59)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ May 04 2005,12:41)]But the 10 points still was absolutely no deterrent was it? It's far too blunt an instrument, wielded by an indifferent and arrogant Football League.
so what's the alternative?
Firstly the FL has to apply these rules taking into account the circumstances. By deducting Wrexham 10 points they have played into Hamilton's hands. It was not a comparable situation to Leicester. They also had discretion - 10 points is supposed to be the maximum.

Secondly, apply the "Fit and Proper Persons" rule. Hamilton should never have got his hands on the club, and when it was clear what he was up to the FL should have disbarred him from running a club.

When he took over Wrexham had debts of around 700K (compare that to our debts...) and a 100 year lease on the Racecourse ground. Now they are in administration, and have been evicted from their ground while their chairman proposes to build on it. The FL have just stood back and let it happen. It's a bloody disgrace!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ May 04 2005,13:06)]When he took over Wrexham had debts of around 700K (compare that to our debts...)
we still havent seen last year's accounts!!!!

sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ May 04 2005,13:36)]we still havent seen last year's accounts!!!!
Does that put us in line for a fine yet ?

Re the cambridge not being allowed to join the Conference whilst being in administration, is that the case ? could they argue that they will be able to complete their fixtures ?

If that is the case then why bother with the 10 point deduction at the time someone goes into administration ? Why not deduct the points once they come out of Administration and at they point decide whether an advantage has been gained by going into administration.

Back