• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

WWII in photos - incredible website

Pubey

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/ww2.html

I'm not a particularly big history/war buff, but this website is breathtaking.

Just a few pics...

w01_06120182.jpg

Symbolic of the defense of Sevastopol, Crimea, is this Russian girl sniper, Lyudmila Pavlichenko, who, by the end of the war, had killed a confrimed 309 Germans -- the most successful female sniper in history.

s_w11_10041111.jpg

The biggest shipping center for London's food-supplies, Tilbury, has been the target of numerous German air attacks. Bombs dropping on the port of Tilbury, on October 4, 1940. The first group of bombs will hit the ships lying in the Thames, the second will strike the docks.

s_w02_05043944.jpg

s_w38_waru0431.jpg

Soviet soldiers, on their backs, launch a volley of bullets at enemy aircraft in June of 1943.

s_w18_3b38440u.jpg

Three U.S. soldiers look at bodies stuffed into an oven in a crematorium in April of 1945. Photo taken in an unidentified concentration camp in Germany, at time of liberation by U.S. Army.

What must go through your head as you're kneeling above an open grave with a gun pointed to your head? I wonder if he was just so resigned to his fate and possibly even embracing the idea of death that he welcomed the bullet? Likewise those American soldiers with the oven, absolutely beggars belief how humans can do these things to other human beings.

What must go through your head as you're kneeling above an open grave with a gun pointed to your head? I wonder if he was just so resigned to his fate and possibly even embracing the idea of death that he welcomed the bullet? Likewise those American soldiers with the oven, absolutely beggars belief how humans can do these things to other human beings.

A bullet usually.....

Humour aside, they were some shocking pictures and god only know how people coped back then

I've had a good look through the site now and it was a real emotional look....it actually made me cry to think of how those poor people were treated. Some of those photos were horrific...I actually started thinking of anything German I had that I could get rid of.

I know it was their forefathers that committed these atrocities, but it still makes me feel angry against Germany now. I have to be honest, actually being a German and knowing what their forefatheres did can't be pleasant either.

I saw this yesterday and caught a bit of Weapons of War on Discovery History last night which focused on the German advance into Russia. German soldiers were granted immunity from any disciplinary measure usually associated with rape or murder of civilians, and were openly encouraged to do their worst.
This led to the Russians adopting a similar approach when the tide turned.
Two facts stood out – The German army lost 250,000 men in the Battle for Stalingrad.
The Russians took 90,000 German prisoners in the same battle. Only 5000 of these ever got back to Germany.

I've had a good look through the site now and it was a real emotional look....it actually made me cry to think of how those poor people were treated. Some of those photos were horrific...I actually started thinking of anything German I had that I could get rid of.

I know it was their forefathers that committed these atrocities, but it still makes me feel angry against Germany now. I have to be honest, actually being a German and knowing what their forefatheres did can't be pleasant either.
Not just the Germans though, did you see the Japan/China stuff? The bayoneting? Horrific.

Not just the Germans though, did you see the Japan/China stuff? The bayoneting? Horrific.

Anybody who has read Lord Russell of Liverpool's two seminal works on war crimes, 'The Scourge of the Swastika' and 'The Knights of Bushido' will know that the Japanese often outdid their axis partners in terms of shocking savagery.

Anybody who has read Lord Russell of Liverpool's two seminal works on war crimes, 'The Scourge of the Swastika' and 'The Knights of Bushido' will know that the Japanese often outdid their axis partners in terms of shocking savagery.

Also The Killing fields of Cambodia...I've seen an image of a soldier swinging a baby towards a tree to kill it...how could anyone be so heartless to do stuff like this? Is it brainwashing possibly? No worse than suicide bombers or the IRA of the 70's I suppose.

I remember a scene from Schindlers List, a Jewish engineer is trying to explain to the Komandant and an underling that the footings for a building being erected are insufficient and it could collapse at any time .. the girl is forced to kneel and shot for insubordination, the Komandant turns to his junior and orders the structure be pulled down and new footings dug saying "she was right"

Also The Killing fields of Cambodia...I've seen an image of a soldier swinging a baby towards a tree to kill it...how could anyone be so heartless to do stuff like this? Is it brainwashing possibly? No worse than suicide bombers or the IRA of the 70's I suppose.

Human beings do terrible things to each other in times of war.

I don't know, to me, that's more personal so therefore it is worse. A bomber's victims don't usually know what's about to happen to them so that situation is somehow lessened. The knowledge that you are about to die at the hands of another and in distressing circumstances surely makes that worse. Not sure I've explained that well enough to get my point across.....

Japan were seriously twisted, millions off their own people died needlessly because they wouldn't ****ing surrender!

Back