• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
Our last three matches at Wycombe have gone ... lose ... win ... lose - our turn next !

This refwatch is very much a cut and paste for me as it is the same official we had for the Chester Cup defeat just 5 weeks ago - our last defeat !

Saturday's referee is Graham Horwood from Luton, in his 6th year as a League referee and refereeing his 8th Southend game.

These six years are either side of a two year gap when he was demoted for performance reasons.

That Chester match saw a hefty number of yellows, 4 a piece.

His only other Southend match since his re-instatement was the pre-Christmas, Friday night game last year against Rochdale which finished 1-1. It was 1-1 on yellow cards too - Leonard got ours and ex-blue Lund, theirs. He did okay.

During his period of de-selection he appeared in Southend matches on a couple of occasions as an Assistant. Before that, his previous four visits to Roots Hall as a referee weren't too bad. The most recent was the final home game of 2008/9 against Cheltenham. The other three were Hereford in the same season and Rochdale in the cup and Bournemouth in the League the year before that. So we have a very decent home record with this official. The only match of these with a significant number of cards was the Rochdale Cup game where they had 4 yellows to our one. Le Fondre scored for them; Bailey and Harrold for us.

Since those he refereed the 1-0 defeat at Aldershot 2010/11 when we shaded the yellows 3-2.

Above average cards (43 yellows and 3 reds from 11 games) and he has a reputation of being a somewhat fussy referee but as I've said before, he can't be that fussy if he lives in Luton. Two of his three reds occurred in his last match two weeks ago and he was given a "week off" as 4th official to Mike Dean (widely thought to be the best of our referees) last Saturday.

Assisting will be Graham Kane from Ditchling near Brighton and Simon Knapp from Gloucester with David Rock, a qualified coach in all manner of sports, from Hertford doing the 4th official stuff.

These six years are either side of a two year gap when he was demoted for performance reasons.

You don't say!....

He was a bit whistle happy, could have let play flow a bit, didn't really grasp advantage. Got the send off absolutely bang on, didn't give two non penalties. Not really sure why he got booed off the end. Seen far worse this season. Maybe its because we lost?

He was a bit whistle happy, could have let play flow a bit, didn't really grasp advantage. Got the send off absolutely bang on, didn't give two non penalties. Not really sure why he got booed off the end. Seen far worse this season. Maybe its because we lost?

We won't be appealing it and even if we did it wouldn't be overturned.

I am not personally happy about the way the "modern game" is going in respect of tackles and I don't particularly relish seeing players sent off for genuine attempts to win the ball. Even less happy with how some referees (the FA Youth Cup one on Friday for example) seem to want to eliminate tackling altogether.

Having said that, working to the guidelines currently in operation, he lunged in, at pace, with his foot off the ground and from the sideways view that the referee (who was well positioned) and the TV cameras had, a red card was, sadly, inevitable.

So that's Binnon-Williams binned 'til 2015 - when does his loan run out?

We won't be appealing it and even if we did it wouldn't be overturned.

I am not personally happy about the way the "modern game" is going in respect of tackles and I don't particularly relish seeing players sent off for genuine attempts to win the ball. Even less happy with how some referees (the FA Youth Cup one on Friday for example) seem to want to eliminate tackling altogether.

Having said that, working to the guidelines currently in operation, he lunged in, at pace, with his foot off the ground and from the sideways view that the referee (who was well positioned) and the TV cameras had, a red card was, sadly, inevitable.

So that's Binnon-Williams binned 'til 2015 - when does his loan run out?

The Wycombe lad also had his foot off the floor looking at the tackle on the Football League Show. Williams got there first, that's it

Thought he was poor, not sure it was a red card from where I was. Two penalties would probably have been a bit harsh but go in the "seen them given". Several other poor decisions in the game made it frustrating to watch. Jack Payne getting completely taken out and not even a free kick being given, or a yellow card was unbelievable. Near the end when their defender passed back to the goalkeeper with his arm and nothing was given summed up the game.

Haven't seen the highlights yet but was it a red card? I didn't think it was at the time. Looked like 2 players trying to get to the ball and he got there first based on where the ball ended up. As others have said, this modern style of tackling and that anything that doesn't win the ball cleanly is a red card is getting a bit of a joke now.

Haven't seen the highlights yet but was it a red card? I didn't think it was at the time. Looked like 2 players trying to get to the ball and he got there first based on where the ball ended up. As others have said, this modern style of tackling and that anything that doesn't win the ball cleanly is a red card is getting a bit of a joke now.

And yet Hayes twice tried to take Lenny's foot while running before succeeding and wasn't booked at all, Lenny looked in a bit of a state on the floor and we can do without losing him again.

And yet Hayes twice tried to take Lenny's foot while running before succeeding and wasn't booked at all, Lenny looked in a bit of a state on the floor and we can do without losing him again.

Forgot about that, at first view it looked like he racked his studs down the back of Leonard's ankle. If true then easily a yellow or potential red for dangerous tackle?

Forgot about that, at first view it looked like he racked his studs down the back of Leonard's ankle. If true then easily a yellow or potential red for dangerous tackle?

And it was immediately after Hayes tried to approach the lino about a decision that had gone against them too.

Personally I was frustrated by the lack of consistency. JJOTs booking was harsh, but given that it was deemed a yellow card I was surprised that some of the Wycombe challenges weren't considered worthy of a card.

I do, however, think the red card was fair. Even if it looked to me to be a genuine attempt at winning the ball, studs up is dangerous and could have led to a serious injury. That said I think we could have done without most of the Wycombe players surrounding the referee.

Back