• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I do like the way it works in rugby union with the clock on/clock off scenario. Everyone can see what's going on so it's less arbitrary. Also you know as soon as 80 minutes is up that the next time the ball goes dead (and not until then) it's game over. Seems a decent system to me.

The referee on Saturday was dire, and I hope that's the last we will see of him for a while. Whilst it will sound like I am being bias when I say this, I am trying to keep a balanced view. 3 stand out decisions for me that he got wrong:

Disallowed goal: Goal was ruled out for a foul (push) on their defender by Bolger. Whilst it looked like minimal contact, I personally think the Wycombe player went down far too easily, looking for the foul. Thought it was very harsh on the day, and having watched it back I still think it was very harsh.
Penalty shout: Totally amazed and baffled that this wasn't given, considering he penalised Bolger for a push earlier on in the game. Definite contact and a stonewall penalty all day long, no question about it.
Foul before Wycombe's FK: I am totally baffled also that the referee didn't pick up on a deliberate push on Timlin (I think!) in the lead up to Wycombe's FK in extra time (which led to their goal). What confused me is that only 10-15 seconds later he gives Wycombe a free kick for a minor unintentional foul (I think!). Plenty of occasions throughout this season where decisions like this cost us the game, and it very nearly did.

Ref was buying Wycombe's time wasting tactics all game long, and it was frustrating to watch at times. But I guess it made it all that sweeter when we scored our equaliser in the final minute of injury time.

I retired from affiliated on football on Thursday, I am going to have to learn to watch games through fans' eyes and not refs'.

Some thoughts...

Penalty, from my view I didn't think it was one (coz I couldn't see the defender). Then I saw it on telly. How he didn't give that, I don't know. It was as bad as the one Worrell didn't get at home to Bury.

Disallowed goal. Yes. All day long. Don't know what the issue is. We'd have been going nuts if that had counted against us.

Time wasting. If I recall, he did throw out a yellow card for wasting time at a free kick. Its a difficult one to manage really. You cannot make a a team move faster, you can throw around yellow cards. You generally wont do the latter until you know you have to, by which time there has already been a few instances. Lets be honest. Everyone does it. What I do find (as a ref) frustrating is players hitting the deck and then holding their heads. You have to stop the game. Then it turns out to be cramp and you look stupid. Then again if I've got a player down in the penalty area, I'd stop the game if the ball is in a non dangerous area - mainly because it effect the whole offside scenario. Thats ok, so long as you add time on and communicate it. In that respect, and as a referee, I didn't have issue with the stoppages or the time he added on. That's Law 19 for all you reffereeing officianados.

The other thing, before I become "one of you", some of you really need to try to do the job to really appreciate how difficult it is. Yes, you do sometimes blow the whistle whist thinking "what the **** are you doing???" and you do think to yourself "have I missed something?". Sometimes you have bad days too. I had plenty....

Penalty, from my view I didn't think it was one (coz I couldn't see the defender). Then I saw it on telly. How he didn't give that, I don't know. It was as bad as the one Worrell didn't get at home to Bury.

Disallowed goal. Yes. All day long. Don't know what the issue is. We'd have been going nuts if that had counted against us.

QUOTE]

What annoys me, and this is not a dig particularly at this ref, but all refs have different interpretations of what is a foul in and out of the penalty area. The foul by Bolger was less obvious than the foul by Jacobsen, so why give one and not the other?

Also when their guy went down, clearly with cramp (or pretending to have cramp) about 5 minutes from the end....Corr saw this, and obviously frustrated at Wycombe wasting more time, went forward knowing the guy was playing him onside and called for Bentley to kick it to him.....without starting a moral rights and wrongs argument, why did the ref stop the game? There was no danger to the player, it was clearly not a head injury?

The problem is with modern football is that it is ingrained in players to cheat at every opportunity. The only way to stop this is to stop this charade of teams being obliged to kick the ball out when a player is injured. Either the ref stops the game or you play on.

The referee on Saturday was dire, and I hope that's the last we will see of him for a while. Whilst it will sound like I am being bias when I say this, I am trying to keep a balanced view. 3 stand out decisions for me that he got wrong:

Disallowed goal: Goal was ruled out for a foul (push) on their defender by Bolger. Whilst it looked like minimal contact, I personally think the Wycombe player went down far too easily, looking for the foul. Thought it was very harsh on the day, and having watched it back I still think it was very harsh.
Penalty shout: Totally amazed and baffled that this wasn't given, considering he penalised Bolger for a push earlier on in the game. Definite contact and a stonewall penalty all day long, no question about it.
Foul before Wycombe's FK: I am totally baffled also that the referee didn't pick up on a deliberate push on Timlin (I think!) in the lead up to Wycombe's FK in extra time (which led to their goal). What confused me is that only 10-15 seconds later he gives Wycombe a free kick for a minor unintentional foul (I think!). Plenty of occasions throughout this season where decisions like this cost us the game, and it very nearly did.

Ref was buying Wycombe's time wasting tactics all game long, and it was frustrating to watch at times. But I guess it made it all that sweeter when we scored our equaliser in the final minute of injury time.
Did all the easy stuff and bottled anything bigger. Overall 4/10 and not welcome ever again at RH.

I remember at the time when Bentley saved the final penalty that I couldn't get too excited in case the ref pulled him back for moving before the ball was struck (which he did). That's how bad I thought the ref was.

I remember at the time when Bentley saved the final penalty that I couldn't get too excited in case the ref pulled him back for moving before the ball was struck (which he did). That's how bad I thought the ref was.

I believe you're allowed to move before the ball is kicked, as long as you stay on your line, so Bentley didn't do anything wrong.

Anyway it would have been a brave call to do something like that it a shoot out and the guy was anything but brave; only if it was a easy decision would he have called it!!

'Keepers are allowed to move before the ball is kicked so long as they stay on their line.

There was about a second's delay for celebrations from everyone around me after bentley's save, I think that was down to half disbelief and half thinking "this ref's gunna try and do something isn't he?!".

There was about a second's delay for celebrations from everyone around me after bentley's save, I think that was down to half disbelief and half thinking "this ref's gunna try and do something isn't he?!".

I thought the same thing, luckily for us the decision about a keeper moving off his line before the kick is taken will be made by the assistant. That's the reason they stand where they do for penalty kicks.

I can't remember the last time I saw a penalty ordered to be retaken...is it something officials have just stopped bothering with? (Like kick offs being played forwards, corners being taken from inside the D and throw ins being taken from behind the line)

Or maybe it's because I don't watch as much footy any more?

I thought the same thing, luckily for us the decision about a keeper moving off his line before the kick is taken will be made by the assistant. That's the reason they stand where they do for penalty kicks.

Another example of a rule that has to be really badly infringed before it is enforced. Almost every keeper goes forward a bit when trying to save a penalty, it's excessive forward movement that might get punished, but even then not every time.

I can't remember the last time I saw a penalty ordered to be retaken...is it something officials have just stopped bothering with? (Like kick offs being played forwards, corners being taken from inside the D and throw ins being taken from behind the line)

This is because the line belongs to the player taking the corner, so as long as at least part of the ball is overhanging the line it counts as being in the D (Whole of the ball over the whole of the line before it's out).

This is because the line belongs to the player taking the corner, so as long as at least part of the ball is overhanging the line it counts as being in the D (Whole of the ball over the whole of the line before it's out).

Oh yeah...I know that....but often it isn't overhanging the line.

and the throw in rule = how often do you see someone score from a long throw (obviously I mean on TV, not in a Southend game) and the thrower was a good pace inside the pitch when he threw it.

There is no such thing as an unintentional foul in football. that's one of the laughable things about the laws of the game. You can unintentionally handle the ball in the area, get an advantage from it, and we all simply play on.

The foul for the free kick from which Wycombe scored was (IIRC) Timlin, which was a cynical step across the man to stop him progressing. It was worthy of a yellow card (can't remember if he got one).

With regard to Bolger's push, whether you think the guy went down easily or not, Bolger was trying to push him to unfairly prevent him getting a header in, so justice was served.

Not so much in penlty shootouts, but in gametime penalties, what irritates me is the number of times players from both teams encroach within 10 yards of the ball before it's played. If I was a referee (I am an umpire in hockey, so have experience of similar dynamics with penalty corners and encroachment) I would order a re-take if a save was made and an encroaching defender cleared it, or if an encroaching attacker put the rebound in, on the basis they've gained an unfair advantage from not being 10 yards away at the time of the free kick.

Oh yeah...I know that....but often it isn't overhanging the line.

and the throw in rule = how often do you see someone score from a long throw (obviously I mean on TV, not in a Southend game) and the thrower was a good pace inside the pitch when he threw it.

As long as some part of each foot is grounded on or behind the line, it is a legal throw in.

Back