• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ref Watch ....... Wycombe Wanderers (H)

Mick

Life President
For tomorrow's vital "six-pointer" the authorities have recognised the importance of the match and appointed a Premier League Select Group referee. The man in charge is David Coote from Winthorpe near Newark. He is a ninth year referee, he has been fast-tracked through the system and is in his first season as a Premier League referee. Over the years he got appointments far better than his experience (and, probably, ability) warranted although he seems to have settled in to his elevated role pretty well - certainly far better than Simon Hooper who was promoted at the same time. He used to work for the Nottinghamshire FA as their Referees' Development Officer then he worked for the Manchester FA in a similar capacity and now he is a full-time referee. His rapid elevation and his choice of employers was, of course, entirely co-incidental.

He comes from a sporting family - his father played County Championship cricket for Notts, once (that;s literally once, not once upon a time!).

He has refereed seven Southend matches previously. Firstly when I don't think any blame was attributed to him for our late, late defeat at Chesterfield and then in our draw at Torquay - both 2010/11. Just a yellow for Gilbert at Torquay to show from those two matches. Later the same season he looked a little out of his depth to me when he officiated the home match against a somewhat fractious Stevenage side resulting in five yellows and a red to them and yellows for Grant and Barker.

Then he did the season 2011/12 disappointing 1-1 home draw with Dagenham cautioning Grant and Ferdinand and one of theirs.

Next came the match when he presided over our 3-3 draw at Oxford in the Paint Pot in 2012/13 when Bentley came off the bench to see us safely through the penalty shoot-out. Just one yellow for Woodyard.

Then came the 2014/15 home match against Scunthorpe. A Friday night defeat with cautions for Coker and Thompson.

Finally the following season's away match at Scunthorpe. A 1-0 defeat and Phil Brown "fumes at referee", so said the Echo. Others fumed at team selections, tactics and performance. Paddy Madden, winner of last week's penalty got the only goal and all four cautions were ours - O'Neill, Bolger, Loza and Atkinson.

This season his card count is a high-ish 100 yellows and 6 reds from 27 matches, 10 of which have been Premier League matches, although he hasn't been let anywhere near any of the top teams - last week he was at Huddersfield.

He brings with him two Premier League Assistants. Stephen Child from Kent, who used to turn out the the Dulwich Hamlet Supporters Club team (and, I believe played occasionally for Dulwich Hamlet reserves), has been involved in numerous Champions League and Internationals and Ed Smart from the West Midlands should be a cut above the normal linos.

Fourth official is James Adcock, a former PE teacher from Long Eaton, now full-time referee who is working his way back into action after a really long lay off due to injury.

Last edited:
.......oh and before anyone mentions it, he is hirsute (unlike so many referees).

Thanks Mick for yet another excellent report.Thought it was odd that on the Wycombe fans site they were reporting he was the ref when the EFL site were saying tbc several days ago

Is it a good thing he is a prem ref?

I normally find they can't handle the style of football and blow up for every challenge. Baring in mind we're playing Wycombe, we will be hearing that whistle a lot!

Got red card written all over it!

For tomorrow's vital "six-pointer" the authorities have recognised the importance of the match and appointed a Premier League Select Group referee. The man in charge is David Coote from Winthorpe near Newark. He is a ninth year referee, he has been fast-tracked through the system and is in his first season as a Premier League referee. Over the years he got appointments far better than his experience (and, probably, ability) warranted although he seems to have settled in to his elevated role pretty well - certainly far better than Simon Hooper who was promoted at the same time. He used to work for the Nottinghamshire FA as their Referees' Development Officer then he worked for the Manchester FA in a similar capacity and now he is a full-time referee. His rapid elevation and his choice of employers was, of course, entirely co-incidental.

He comes from a sporting family - his father played County Championship cricket for Notts, once (that;s literally once, not once upon a time!).

He has refereed seven Southend matches previously. Firstly when I don't think any blame was attributed to him for our late, late defeat at Chesterfield and then in our draw at Torquay - both 2010/11. Just a yellow for Gilbert at Torquay to show from those two matches. Later the same season he looked a little out of his depth to me when he officiated the home match against a somewhat fractious Stevenage side resulting in five yellows and a red to them and yellows for Grant and Barker.

Then he did the season 2011/12 disappointing 1-1 home draw with Dagenham cautioning Grant and Ferdinand and one of theirs.

Next came the match when he presided over our 3-3 draw at Oxford in the Paint Pot in 2012/13 when Bentley came off the bench to see us safely through the penalty shoot-out. Just one yellow for Woodyard.

Then came the 2014/15 home match against Scunthorpe. A Friday night defeat with cautions for Coker and Thompson.

Finally the following season's away match at Scunthorpe. A 1-0 defeat and Phil Brown "fumes at referee", so said the Echo. Others fumed at team selections, tactics and performance. Paddy Madden, winner of last week's penalty got the only goal and all four cautions were ours - O'Neill, Bolger, Loza and Atkinson.

This season his card count is a high-ish 100 yellows and 6 reds from 27 matches, 10 of which have been Premier League matches, although he hasn't been let anywhere near any of the top teams - last week he was at Huddersfield.

He brings with him two Premier League Assistants. Stephen Child from Kent, who used to turn out the the Dulwich Hamlet Supporters Club team (and, I believe played occasionally for Dulwich Hamlet reserves), has been involved in numerous Champions League and Internationals and Ed Smart from the West Midlands should be a cut above the normal linos.

Fourth official is James Adcock, a former PE teacher from Long Eaton, now full-time referee who is working his way back into action after a really long lay off due to injury.
Just one slight amendment Mick. The late late defeat at Chesterfield in 2010/11 was due to a last minute goal scored from a highly controversial corner. I remember the whole away end going apoplectic at the time. What I don't recall was whether it should either have been a goal-kick or that the ball had not crossed the line. Whichever it was, there were some very angry shrimpers leaving the ground that day..........

James Adcock's return from injury not going well - replaced as Fourth Official by Dan Robathan from Dorking.

Just one slight amendment Mick. The late late defeat at Chesterfield in 2010/11 was due to a last minute goal scored from a highly controversial corner. I remember the whole away end going apoplectic at the time. What I don't recall was whether it should either have been a goal-kick or that the ball had not crossed the line. Whichever it was, there were some very angry shrimpers leaving the ground that day..........

Hardly an amendment, the lino gave that controversial decision which is exactly why I said no blame attributed to referee.

He let the Wycombe players time waste all they wanted. He should have booked the keeper at the very least. Still, he did add on 6 mins at the end

The ball rolled gently off the foot of their attacker and Anthony Grant carefully allowed it to go over the goal line.

Back