• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

X-Box One

MK Shrimper

Striker
Though I've lost all interest in playing computer games, this caught my eye on the BBC website: The X-Box console (and maybe the new Sony PS4) will require you to pay the full price of the game when you buy it second hand, or even just borrow it from a mate.

Nice.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22623010

All this technical gubbins such as heart monitors, 3D imaging is just bollocks - nothing will ever beat the N64.

Dont think thats quite the case. What there will be will be a fee to transfer the game to a 2nd machine, theres no way that it will be anywhere near full price.

You can still play it on other machines as long as you login as whoever bought it, not ideal.

The pre-owned market could suffer though, but they seem to have a plan for that.

Ill no doubt get one as whilst I rarely play Xbox games (prefer PC) my son loves it. If they can make a decent media player out of it (ie no format issues or noisy fans) then that would make it even better.

Microsoft have made some poor design choices in my opinion,

The name is awful.
The Kinect has to be plugged in or the whole thing won't work. (so if that gets accidently broken, tough.)
The Kinect will be listening and monitoring you when the console is on.
Looks like it needs to connect to the internet once per day.
Cannot replace the 500Gb hard drive. (but can use external ones)
The console design looks like the worst 80's VHS player.
Not as powerful as the PS4.
Need to pay a fee to register a second hand game to your account.
And as with the 360, need to pay to play online.

Microsoft have made some poor design choices in my opinion,

The name is awful.
The Kinect has to be plugged in or the whole thing won't work. (so if that gets accidently broken, tough.)
The Kinect will be listening and monitoring you when the console is on.
Looks like it needs to connect to the internet once per day.
Cannot replace the 500Gb hard drive. (but can use external ones)
The console design looks like the worst 80's VHS player.
Not as powerful as the PS4.
Need to pay a fee to register a second hand game to your account.
And as with the 360, need to pay to play online.
The kinect was never good...

Wasnt the PS3 more powerful than Xbox360 though ?

Id still never get a Playstation.

Dont think thats quite the case. What there will be will be a fee to transfer the game to a 2nd machine, theres no way that it will be anywhere near full price.

You can still play it on other machines as long as you login as whoever bought it, not ideal.

The pre-owned market could suffer though, but they seem to have a plan for that.

Ill no doubt get one as whilst I rarely play Xbox games (prefer PC) my son loves it. If they can make a decent media player out of it (ie no format issues or noisy fans) then that would make it even better.

Really? Because the Microsoft representative that gave the presentation told Kotaku just that. I think it's been said that Sony were considering something similar, but if they had two braincells to rub together they'd realise they could absolutely nail Microsoft by refusing to tow that line.

I'm not really that savvy with gaming, but everything I've read suggests that it's a complete and utter disaster for Microsoft. They've targetted all the wrong markets and ended up with a system that alienates its core audience. Most of the features they drummed on about will only be available for the US at launch, and some will never make it to Europe.

Really? Because the Microsoft representative that gave the presentation told Kotaku just that. I think it's been said that Sony were considering something similar, but if they had two braincells to rub together they'd realise they could absolutely nail Microsoft by refusing to tow that line.

I'm not really that savvy with gaming, but everything I've read suggests that it's a complete and utter disaster for Microsoft. They've targetted all the wrong markets and ended up with a system that alienates its core audience. Most of the features they drummed on about will only be available for the US at launch, and some will never make it to Europe.

The article above certainly says""We will have a solution - we're not talking about it today - for you to be able to trade your previously played games online,"

It may well be a rip off(eg a tenner) but there is no logic in it being full priced because you would just buy a brand new one.

Wasnt the PS3 more powerful than Xbox360 though ?

Id still never get a Playstation.

Not sure on that one, the PS3's cell processor is wildly different to the 360. This time round (bar a couple of differences) they are small PCs. So developers should find it easier to make games for all formats.

Why would you never get a playstation?

The article above certainly says nothing like that, it says""We will have a solution - we're not talking about it today - for you to be able to trade your previously played games online," he said."

It may well be a rip off(eg a tenner) but there is no logic in it being full priced because you would just buy a brand new one.

http://kotaku.com/you-will-be-able-to-trade-xbox-one-games-online-micros-509140825

"The bits that are on that disc, you can give it to your friend and they can install it on an Xbox One," he said. "They would then have to purchase the right to play that game through Xbox Live."

"They would be paying the same price we paid, or less?" we asked.

"Let’s assume it’s a new game, so the answer is yes, it will be the same price," Harrison said.

Just read that Kotaku interview, seems Microsoft want to control all of their second hand sales and all the profits. Could well put a few high street shops out of business.

That comment is about taking a game to a friends house, not pre-owned trades.

You dont quote the next bit :

But that doesn't mean used games are dead. In fact, Harrison told us, you'll be able to sell your Xbox One games online.

"We will have a solution—we’re not talking about it today—for you to be able to trade your previously-played games online," Harrison said.

If you go to a friends house you just login as yourself and you can play it for nothing.

The whole question of pre-owned remains to be seen, but as I said there is no point at all in charging full price for a pre-owned game as you would simply go buy a new one. I can certainly see them charging too much whatever happens though.

Just read that Kotaku interview, seems Microsoft want to control all of their second hand sales and all the profits. Could well put a few high street shops out of business.

Indeed, I think this will be a massive blow to Game.

That comment is about taking a game to a friends house, not pre-owned trades.

You dont quote the next bit :

If you go to a friends house you just login as yourself and you can play it for nothing.

The whole question of pre-owned remains to be seen, but as I said there is no point at all in charging full price for a pre-owned game as you would simply go buy a new one. I can certainly see them charging too much whatever happens though.

Ah, I see. I only saw those quotes pulled out in a review of the reveal. How are they going to differentiate between the two though? Charging you to take a game round a mate's house is bafflingly stupid to begin with.

Not sure on that one, the PS3's cell processor is wildly different to the 360. This time round (bar a couple of differences) they are small PCs. So developers should find it easier to make games for all formats.

Why would you never get a playstation?

Prefer Xbox, more compatible with PCs, prefer the online system, plus I cant think of anyone I know who actually has a PS3 except a colleague at work who said yesterday he wants an Xbox :smile:

Ah, I see. I only saw those quotes pulled out in a review of the reveal. How are they going to differentiate between the two though? Charging you to take a game round a mate's house is bafflingly stupid to begin with.

I think they are going to make a pigs ear of it, but the mates house thing is easy, just log on as yourself.

Other than Fifa I never buy new games, always pre-owned. Even newish pre-owned games can go for £20+ so if Microsoft did just add £5 on then it will make a massive dent.

What is kind of implied in that statement is you can trade online, now if they are trying to stop people selling preowned games in shops and only online then that would be a massive step.

Will have to wait and see.

I think they are going to make a pigs ear of it, but the mates house thing is easy, just log on as yourself.

Other than Fifa I never buy new games, always pre-owned. Even newish pre-owned games can go for £20+ so if Microsoft did just add £5 on then it will make a massive dent.

What is kind of implied in that statement is you can trade online, now if they are trying to stop people selling preowned games in shops and only online then that would be a massive step.

Will have to wait and see.

That ties in with the fact that you'll have to register a game online before you can play it, and the Xbox One will have to be connected to Xbox Live at least once a day.

Microsoft already admitted that 20% of Xbox 360s sold have NEVER been connected to Xbox Live, so that's 20% of their existing ownership that they're alienating through those two initiatives alone. I just don't get the reasoning behind it.

That ties in with the fact that you'll have to register a game online before you can play it, and the Xbox One will have to be connected to Xbox Live at least once a day.

Microsoft already admitted that 20% of Xbox 360s sold have NEVER been connected to Xbox Live, so that's 20% of their existing ownership that they're alienating through those two initiatives alone. I just don't get the reasoning behind it.

A decent article on it here.

A decent article on it here.

Yeah that's probably one of the better summaries of the reveal I've read so far. Microsoft have definitely deviated too far from the core gamer market in an attempt to entertain mass appeal, and have ended up not targetting a particular market at all.

Im sure you do get it. Kerching!

Anything they do will be about money. Its easy to see all the negatives when its all pretty unknown, but it does look like they are going to shoot themselves in the foot with some of these policies.

Personally I will get one and it wont affect me particularly. Im online, I dont buy that many games and if the preowned market was to die Id simply own less games (I buy quite a few for under a tenner and barely play them).

If the playstation comes along and doesnt have all of the same issues it could certainly affect their market share though.

Yeah that's probably one of the better summaries of the reveal I've read so far. Microsoft have definitely deviated too far from the core gamer market in an attempt to entertain mass appeal, and have ended up not targetting a particular market at all.

I like the idea of an all in one media centre, Im not however sure the Xbox or Playstation is the answer. Ive got a media streamer in my lounge that streams all formats of HD there are and in cost me about £35. I dont need to use facebook on my TV as its inconvenient getting the missus off of Eastenders and its easier to use my laptop/ipad/smartphone/PC anyway.

All I really want is a console I can stick Fifa or GTA on.

Back