• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ref Watch ... Yeovil away

Mick

Life President
After a very satisfactory performance from Rob Shoebridge on Saturday (if not from the players) what does next Saturday bring? Yeovil has often been the venue for very poor refereeing performances as far as Southend are concerned. But despite that we have won our last three away League matches there ..... are there any other clubs we can boast that record against. (I know we won 4 in a row at Sunderland in the early 90s)

Anyway, man in charge is Police Officer David Phillips from West Sussex refereeing in his second season. This will be his second Southend game and his first Southend away game; his only previous Southend match being the home match against Huddersfield last December when we lost 1-0. I can't recall too much about his performance and think it was pretty decent. He gave us a penalty which Walker squandered so it wasn't his fault we lost.
Booked Macca - don't they all ?

Don't think anyone minded ... everyone was in Chelsea mode at the time.

Although a newish ref, this is no fast-tracked wonder kid as he started refereeing 28 years ago (before Stuart Attwell was born) and just made it onto the League list last season.

His eleven league matches thus far this season have produced 36 yellows and no reds. (Given we have had three reds at Yeovil in recent years and Yeovil one, this could change!)

His most publicised moment occurred at Grays, a couple of years ago, when Jamie Stuart was sent off for a challenge which broke a York player's jaw and led him to be charged with, and acquitted of, grievous bodily harm at Basildon Crown Court nearly a year later.

Running the lines will be Stephen Phipps (Oxford) and Tim Robinson (also West Sussex) with Chris Powell (No, not that one) from Dorset wielding the numbers board.

After a very satisfactory performance from Rob Shoebridge on Saturday (if not from the players) what does next Saturday bring? Yeovil has often been the venue for very poor refereeing performances as far as Southend are concerned. But despite that we have won our last three away League matches there ..... are there any other clubs we can boast that record against. (I know we won 4 in a row at Sunderland in the early 90s)

Anyway, man in charge is Police Officer David Phillips from West Sussex refereeing in his second season. This will be his second Southend game and his first Southend away game; his only previous Southend match being the home match against Huddersfield last December when we lost 1-0. I can't recall too much about his performance and think it was pretty decent. He gave us a penalty which Walker squandered so it wasn't his fault we lost.
Booked Macca - don't they all ?

Don't think anyone minded ... everyone was in Chelsea mode at the time.

Although a newish ref, this is no fast-tracked wonder kid as he started refereeing 28 years ago (before Stuart Attwell was born) and just made it onto the League list last season.

His eleven league matches thus far this season have produced 36 yellows and no reds. (Given we have had three reds at Yeovil in recent years and Yeovil one, this could change!)

His most publicised moment occurred at Grays, a couple of years ago, when Jamie Stuart was sent off for a challenge which broke a York player's jaw and led him to be charged with, and acquitted of, grievous bodily harm at Basildon Crown Court nearly a year later.

Running the lines will be Stephen Phipps (Oxford) and Tim Robinson (also West Sussex) with Chris Powell (No, not that one) from Dorset wielding the numbers board.

......... sorry.

Yep but this prat still stated four (4) times that he was only giving Morrison a booking and then sent him off, he clearly pulled out the wrong card and was not man enough to admit his mistake, i don't care what his history is, i just know that he cocked up big time today, and because of it Southend United will suffer yet again. UTB.

Tbf to the referee, having seen the incident, I think it was the correct decision. I think it was a bit of inexperience from Morrison in letting the striker get the wrong side of him.

Yep but this prat still stated four (4) times that he was only giving Morrison a booking and then sent him off, he clearly pulled out the wrong card and was not man enough to admit his mistake, i don't care what his history is, i just know that he cocked up big time today, and because of it Southend United will suffer yet again. UTB.

Most referees will keep their red card in a different pocket to avoid such accidents. Saw it on TV and he didn't appear to be having four conversations before showing the red card. There is no way Barrett could be considered a covering player and, sadly, the decision appeared correct.

Nah, he was going as soon as he hit the whistle. You can tell because he instantly went for his back pocket. What I didn't understand was why it took him so long. I don't understand why he felt the need to lecture him before doing it.

The ref wasn't good, but the lino on our left hand side was utterly incompetent. I'm not kidding, I could have done a better job.

Nah, he was going as soon as he hit the whistle. You can tell because he instantly went for his back pocket. What I didn't understand was why it took him so long. I don't understand why he felt the need to lecture him before doing it.

The ref wasn't good, but the lino on our left hand side was utterly incompetent. I'm not kidding, I could have done a better job.

Glad you said that Kerry, I didn't get the "said 4 times bit" because he did go immediately for his back pocket. It looked a fairly innocuous challenge from where we were, I'm told he wasn't last man and the guy was heading for the corner anyway so hardly a "goal scoring" opportunity, certainly not the way Yeovil were shooting anyway!

The officials were all rubbish. Like the picture on the OS were the 4th official appears to be making a w***** sign while looking towards the pitch after Morrison's sending off! Seems quite appropriate!

http://www.southendunited.co.uk/page/Gallery/0,,10444~1875954,00.html

I wasn't there so can't comment on this apparent idiot & his 2 assistant munchkins.

But, on BW & I presume BBC Essex, Nick Alliker asked AB the same question as I did at the POY do in 2006 about the general performance of referees. At the time AB thought the standard was getting worse year by year, was pretty poor already at that stage & the assistant referees were next to useless.

I had the same view at the time, truly believe that & I have to say that since then I feel the levels have got even worse. The number of times I come away from a game thinking the referee hasn't stood out are very few & far between. I'm not talking about bias I just don't think they have any feeling for the game & the ability to make quick & correct decisions is severely lacking. They don't get the respect the FA call for simply because they don't deserve it.

Ok the game is faster. But they are fitter themselves, have 4th officials, flags with buzzers, mouthpieces, the ability to review dvd's after etc etc all of which the officials of the 60's & 70's didn't have. But the likes of Ray Lewis etc were far better referees that any of this lot will ever become.

The true problem can be shown by the longlevity of one man. Steven Bennett. He's been an embarrassment to British football for years, shown on numerous occasions to be horribly incorrect with his decision making & even at times made me agree with Lord Fergie (a man I despise equally). But on he goes.

It seems that good whistle tone & correct arm actions will get you a league game, even if you are completely inept. I should know about cack refereeing as I ruined many Sunday league games. Perhaps Davis Axcell wasn't that bad after all.

Back