• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Message 1 - posted by bcfcbantam, 17 Hours Ago

Southend fans - Is he your best player? Because he looked quality last night!

Message 2 - posted by SouthInTheEnd, 17 Hours Ago

He's the captain and so very influential. going on last season tho adam barett is out best player, along with freddy eastwood. im sure all 3 will show their class this season. Saying that though we hav an excellent player comin bak from injury, Jay Smith.....remember the name!

Message 3 - posted by bcfcbantam, 17 Hours Ago

Whats wrong with your keeper too? Think hes a bit of a moron myself!

Guttridge and Gray both played well too, i thought!

Message 4 - posted by SouthInTheEnd, 17 Hours Ago

Apparently windass bit him on the face. nice....but doesnt surprise me!

Message 5 - posted by mattyreg, 13 Minutes Ago

Southend fans - Is he your best player? Because he looked quality last night!

Quoted from this message

On the plus side, Kevin Maher has got bags of talent, bags of heart and - despite a baptism of fire at Roots Hall, when Maher was the target of the Southend "boo-boys" (alas, every club has them) when his every touch was vilified - has unexpectedly been a one-club man at Southend: this is his 9th season at Roots Hall, and I can't now see him moving anywhere else.

You can't put a price on loyalty like that - he does genuinely want to play for us, and win for us. In terms of the talent, he's regularly been in the top 5 in the "assists" column of League Two, and finally got voted in the League Two team of the season last year - a long overdue accolade.

On the down side, he's very mouthy (he'll pick up 10-12 bookings a season, all but one of which will be for dissent) and he scores very infrequently: 2 goals a season tops, which is pretty poor as a central midfielder and main set piece taker.

Worst of all, he can be very frustrating as a player - largely because he's the heartbeat of our side, and because we're therefore very reliant on him. Since he is the orchestrator - we play through him, he dictates our tempo, our attacks, clears up in front of defence. So he is very important to the side.

Unfortunately it gives rise to the adage that when Kevin Maher plays well, we win; and when he plays badly, we lose.

A fellow Shrimper recently commented that if you take a random 6 games for Southend, Kevin Maher will play:

a) brilliantly in one (which we'll win easily)
b) above average in two (of which one we'll draw and one we'll scrape a win)
c) below average in two (which we may draw or lose)
d) dreadfully in one (in which we'll be dire and lose)

There's probably a grain of truth in that... and I think that Maher played an (a) or (b) at Valley Parade on Tuesday night...

Let's hope there are fewer ©'s & (d)'s this season - if that happens, then we'll be fine this year.

Matt

I will be taking a short break from this board to disappear into trap one with some tissues.
laugh.gif

I think this theory was tru maybe for last season but might happen this season with more quality in midfield.

Hmm... 5 messages on that thread and one of them is longer than all the others put together and goes into nanoscopic detail - I wonder who that could be??

laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]a) brilliantly in one (which we'll win easily)
Yes but the same could be said for most players in fooball!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TrueBlue @ Aug. 11 2005,13:56)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]a) brilliantly in one (which we'll win easily)
Yes but the same could be said for most players in fooball!
Really? But this is a Football forum?

rock.gif

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimp_on_the_wing2003 @ Aug. 11 2005,12:46)]Kevin Maher will play:

a) brilliantly in one (which we'll win easily)
A truly outragreous statement (imho). Can't recall the last time King Kev was below average. Even when he's occassionaly average we're a far better team than without him.
mad.gif

Until we sign Lampard or Gerrard
biggrin.gif
I can't see this changing.

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Upminster Blue @ Aug. 11 2005,14:21)]A truly outragreous statement (imho).  Can't recall the last time King Kev was below average.
I can: the first half against Port Vale, in which Maher was somewhere between anonymous and mediocre.

suspect.gif

Maher is a legend, testimonial year in our centinary year! Well done Kev!!
smile.gif

To be fair to Maher MTS, we were all below average on Saturday. Hopefully we've learned our lesson now!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Aug. 11 2005,14:29)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Upminster Blue @ Aug. 11 2005,14:21)]A truly outragreous statement (imho).  Can't recall the last time King Kev was below average.
I can: the first half against Port Vale, in which Maher was somewhere between anonymous and mediocre.

suspect.gif
But we'd have been far worse without him, and that's the key point
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Aug. 11 2005,16:05)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mad Cyril @ Aug. 11 2005,15:41)]Kevin Maher IS Southend United.
Struggled gamely in the lower echelons with promises of development?
Got it in One!!
smile.gif

Back