• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
The referee for tomorrow's cut price game is Darren Sheldrake from Kingston in Surrey who is in his fifth year as a Football League referee.

He has the opportunity to atone for a woeful and inconsistent display earlier this season away at Wycombe when he cautioned Prosser and White and 3 home players in a match we could, and should, have won.

He came into that match on the back of not one, but two, controversial performances in the previous week. He sent off Burnley's goalkeeper at Brighton for the most ridiculous of second yellow cards you could hope to see and a few days later he was in charge at Yeovil when he allowed Yeovil to take a quick throw and score when everyone had stopped for the trainer to come on and tend an injury. He also attracted a lot of criticism for showing 11 yellows in his opening match of the season, a match which both managers said was far from dirty. Things have presumably improved for him as they are still giving him matches.

His refereeing career has progressed quickly making the National List just 12 years after taking up the whistle at the age of 14. His progress has been steady without any suggestion of any great potential and he has been given a few Championship matches over the last couple of seasons, although none lately.

He has refereed Southend seven times before. Firstly the dull 0-0 at home to Exeter four seasons back (just the one caution for Scannell).

Then he refereed the home match against Lincoln which we won 1-0 the following season (cautions for Mohsni and Timlin and a couple of theirs). Then, the season before last, he was a late replacement for the JPT home defeat by Swindon when he cautioned Gilbert and 3 of theirs. Just before the Swindon match he did the East Thurrock Macclesfield FA Cup tie when a bad error probably cost the nonleague side the tie.

The fourth match was last season's very disappointing home defeat thanks to a very early and a very late goal from Aldershot. He cautioned just two of theirs. Then came the match which was probably his and our easiest of the lot - the Boxing day win at Dagenham with a solitary caution for one of theirs. Then our impressive 2-1 win at Port Vale when he cautioned 4 of theirs and Lund for us and finally that Wycombe match.

Not a referee I've got a lot of time for. He can be inconsistent and prone to over-reaction and also, at times, a bit quick with his cards. His 12 matches thus far this season have produced a well above average 51 yellows and 2 reds.

He last refereed York at Salisbury in his promotion year 5 years ago.

Assistants are Michael George (I think I've got that the right way round) from North Walsham, Norfolk and Gavin Muge from Bedford. Fourth Official is Football League referee, Carl Berry from Cheam.

Yes. One of the referees from my blacklist as well. Lets hope the players play to form, behave themselves and hopefully we wont be talking about this eejit after the game.

I know some of you wont agree, but the Wycombe performance was one of the worst I've seen at professional level. Not the worst (that belonged to the guy who did our 2-2 draw at Orient a few years back), but its up there.

He started with a nothing yellow for Hurst (celebrating a goal!), a nothing yellow for Kiernon and a silly yellow for their player for a only slightly late attempt at a tackle. The 2nd yellow (to make the red) was a shirt pull BUT only worth a free kick and a warning. The red to Bowman was on far side of the pitch so I can't judge: and out of a game with no nastiness it looks by the cards to have been all "blood and thunder". He never gave BBBC a decision all game despite much pushing and climbing on him and I certainly saw a high arm "handball" which he waved away that was a nailed on free kick for us late on. POOR POOR game ref!.

He wasn't great , but Hurst was stupid , very stupid.
The first yellow was ridiculous as he was only celebrating in front of home fans and not the away ones.
However, given that he was given that harsh yellow , he was idiotic.
Pulling back a player is more often that not a yellow card and he should know that.

Great goal though....

IF(My view was blocked from East) Hurst jumps into crowd it is normally a yellow, and the second was a definite yellow. I immediately knew Yorks was going to be red as he went in two footed very late. Looked horrible. There were times where he played advantage well and we never get freekicks for Corr as normally its Corr backing in as much.

That said Kiernan's yellow was harsh and the little gobshite from York who went mental at the East Lino surely deserved a yellow. Other than that no real complaints apart from the lack of interest in getting Bowman off the pitch and only adding 3 minutes of injury time. In the end though it benefitted us.

I was sitting in yellows...first yellow for Hurst was very harsh as he didnt jump into the crowd...people just stretched over the barrier to celebrate. Second yellow was harsh too. Didn't see the other red clearly...but referees do seem to like evening things up!

Thought both cards for Hurst were innocuous, didn't "over" celebrate, didn't remove his shirt. We've seen away players celebrate far more than that at Roots Hall and get away with no punishment. The 2nd looked even less bookable, especially considering the way York had been niggling, pulling, leading with their elbows etc all match. The red for them also, I'd have thought a yellow.

Also, what was the ref doing positioning himself on the same line as the lino for goal kicks? Surely that gives too similar a view to the lino.

IF(My view was blocked from East) Hurst jumps into crowd it is normally a yellow, and the second was a definite yellow. I immediately knew Yorks was going to be red as he went in two footed very late. Looked horrible. There were times where he played advantage well and we never get freekicks for Corr as normally its Corr backing in as much.

That said Kiernan's yellow was harsh and the little gobshite from York who went mental at the East Lino surely deserved a yellow. Other than that no real complaints apart from the lack of interest in getting Bowman off the pitch and only adding 3 minutes of injury time. In the end though it benefitted us.

Very much so and I'd like to shake Bowman's hand

Thought both cards for Hurst were innocuous, didn't "over" celebrate, didn't remove his shirt. We've seen away players celebrate far more than that at Roots Hall and get away with no punishment. The 2nd looked even less bookable, especially considering the way York had been niggling, pulling, leading with their elbows etc all match. The red for them also, I'd have thought a yellow.

Also, what was the ref doing positioning himself on the same line as the lino for goal kicks? Surely that gives too similar a view to the lino.

The celebration was fine he stayed pitch side and never entered the stand - what a joke

I also thought the York red was harsh as I did not see any contact (although have not seen the highlights).

Looking at all the other goal celebrations on TV last night, the first yellow seemed particularly harsh. Question: can you appeal a yellow, just as you can a red - or do you just have to appeal the red on the grounds that one of the yellows was 'wrong'? Either way I guess the outcome would be the same ie red rescinded.

Back