• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Rayleigh boy

Director⭐
No-one wants to knock Steve Tilson and the great job he has done, or knock the players who have got the club into the Championship so its not criticism to try make suggestions or point out things out.

And Southend have got where they are trying to play the game the right way and theres a lot of credit for that.

Chance and chaos play a large part in football (look how Michael Owen's injury changed Englands world cup) and you have to take chances on players (Ricketts) and risk backing your judgement (Francis, Clarke, Paynter) and then not everything is going to go to plan - ever.

BUT - watching the Blues you know its out of kilter and
all a bit wrong when the guy you bought as right back is playing right midfield (or upfront) and the midfield utility
player (Hunt) is at right back and the centre back (Clarke)
is playing midfield. STEVE TILSON needs to sort this out.

And you have built the team on a good passing game and suddenly you lose confidence and try to start hitting the front guys early and long. I would rather go down watching us play decent stuff.

It might be a weakness that so far Tilson hasn't got
players in on loan but it might be a strength to keep
together a tight knit and committed squad of players
and grafting in the right players - whatever way you look at it the alternatives are only uncertain.

Given that it can't get any worse why not at least play to our
strengths - the passing game and with players in roles they
are accustomed to - Clarke and Francis can play and bit but they are defenders.

It can get better before January - I think I can see what
Tilson saw in Paynter and his other signings and I think there are a lot of emergency half measures that have not worked
altho' they were understandable and now the nightmare scenario is here so we might as well rock and roll with it.

There is a certain magic about Roots Hall and the old time ideal of a club progressing with a good group of players and manager all in it together with supporters who love the game.

The millenium stadium against Blackpool was a big day - but
only a start of this and its terrific to see the Shrimpers having come on so far. Its a shame they all still freeze (as does the crowd) on the big occasions BUT I would rather be in Freddy Eastwoods shoes against the Reds than the fancy dan premiership defender who may just get done by a bit of Freddy magic - yeah really.

And come the day why not turn up thinking we can get some of the luck thats gone against us and turn them over - it can be done.

And come the seasons end why not think we can do the decent thing and end up just outside the play-offs.

And dreams cost nothing.

Come on you blues .....

Freddy is a better player than Billy Best, Bill Garner, SpudTaylor -

(apologies for getting carried away)

Tilson bigger mistake is not to add more midfield in summer or on loans durning the season, it showing. A good midfielders is different to getting new defencer or striker, you need them to help the defence out & create chance for the forward. Our current Midfield havent got either.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rayleigh boy @ Nov. 01 2006,17:19)]No-one wants to knock Steve Tilson and the great job he has done, or knock the players who have got the club into the Championship so its not criticism to try make suggestions or point out things out.  

And Southend have got where they are trying to play the game the right way and theres a lot of credit for that.

Chance and chaos play a large part in football (look how Michael Owen's injury changed Englands world cup) and you have to take chances on players (Ricketts) and risk backing your judgement (Francis, Clarke, Paynter) and then not everything is going to go to plan - ever.

BUT - watching the Blues you know its out of kilter and
all a bit wrong when the guy you bought as right back is playing right midfield (or upfront) and the midfield utility
player (Hunt) is at right back and the centre back (Clarke)
is playing midfield. STEVE TILSON needs to sort this out.

And you have built the team on a good passing game and suddenly you lose confidence and try to start hitting the front guys early and long. I would rather go down watching us play decent stuff.

It might be a weakness that so far Tilson hasn't got
players in on loan but it might be a strength to keep
together a tight knit and committed squad of players
and grafting in the right players - whatever way you look at it the alternatives are only uncertain.  

Given that it can't get any worse why not at least play to our
strengths - the passing game and with players in roles they
are accustomed to - Clarke and Francis can play and bit but they are defenders.  

It can get better before January - I think I can see what
Tilson saw in Paynter and his other signings and I think there are a lot of emergency half measures that have not worked
altho' they were understandable and now the nightmare scenario is here so we might as well rock and roll with it.

There is a certain magic about Roots Hall and the old time ideal of a club progressing with a good group of players and manager all in it together with supporters who love the game.

The millenium stadium against Blackpool was a big day - but
only a start of this and its terrific to see the Shrimpers having come on so far. Its a shame they all still freeze (as does the crowd) on the big occasions BUT I would rather be in Freddy Eastwoods shoes against the Reds than the fancy dan premiership defender who may just get done by a bit of Freddy magic - yeah really.

And come the day why not turn up thinking we can get some of the luck thats gone against us and turn them over - it can be done.

And come the seasons end why not think we can do the decent thing and end up just outside the play-offs.

And dreams cost nothing.

Come on you blues .....

Freddy is a better player than Billy Best, Bill Garner, SpudTaylor -

(apologies for getting carried away)
Good first post, Rayleigh boy, and a lot of valid points. I too think that it is imperative that we stick to the passing football that got us here in the first place.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ Nov. 01 2006,22:27)]I too think that it is imperative that we stick to the passing football that got us here in the first place.
Personally it's not about the passing - Maher can do that as well as anyone (and I don't even like him), it is about the complete lack of movement after the pass.

Other teams pass and go - pass and go - pass and go............you get my point - like a slick 5 a side team. We, however, seem to pass and stand back and admire it giving no thought to making oneself available for a return ball.

An awful lot of the goals that we are conceding at home are from Teams moving the ball quickly and then having the midfield up supporting the attack having shots from around the penalty spot - they even get their midfielders ahead of the ball (SHOCK, HORROR!!!) - when have you ever seen Maher or Guttridge ahead of the ball??

Sorry this style of play (which I think is essential the higher you go and the better the defenders get) will not happen with the players that we have at the moment - which is really strange as it was an aspect of Tilly's game that he was very good at.

Keeping Smith and letting Bentley go was absolute bl***y madness!!

Back