• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

You have a time machine.....

Promotion to the Championship, away to Swansea City. The long drive. The feeling of invincibility with Freddy upfront. The newish Liberty stadium. The vibe that the Welsh hated us. A cracking game, end to end at times, their superstriker Trundle. The massive Southend following.
The news on people's radio's that other scores meant that we were up despite us still playing. The years of rubbish football in L2 being put right by the absolute dream of playing in the Championship.
Hugging strangers, dancing, crying.
Walking out 10ft tall. Tooting every Southend Utd dressed car and coach all the way home. Working out all the fixtures to come, teams like Leeds Utd.
Who needs drugs eh ? I'll have some of that again any day.

Last edited:
Promotion to the Championship, away to Swansea City. The long drive. The feeling of invincibility with Freddy upfront. The newish Liberty stadium. The vibe that the Welsh hated us. A cracking game, end to end at times, their superstriker Trundle. The massive Southend following.
The news on people's radio's that other scores meant that we were up despite us still playing. The years of rubbish football in L2 being put right by the absolute dream of playing in the Championship.
Hugging strangers, dancing, crying.
Walking out 10ft tall. Tooting every Southend Utd dressed car and coach all the way home. Working out all the fixtures to come, teams like Leeds Utd.
Who needs drugs eh ? I'll have some of that again any day.

It was a cracking day to be fare.

And credit to the swans fans who were very gracious in defeat and shook hands after.

Man U

Chelsea away was a big rush of adrenaline in the 90th minute
Yeah it was, went to both and the man u game was magical, wildest dreams stuff, went with my brother and my dad, and the whole town was buzzing, it was the footballing equivalent of rocky 2.

I still dont know how we drew at the bridge tbh, felt like we were off the pace from the kick off with the gulf in divisions on full display. When clarkey scored i think the roof came off the away end!

Special mention to AB scoring in the home leg and singing sacked in the morning to scolari ?. Bloody good times.

Right now I'd go back to Easter Monday 2005 v Cambridge. We were 15 games unbeaten going into this one flying high in the league having won the previous two games 3-0, both games wrapped up by about the hour mark and had booked our way to the Millennium Stadium in the JPT. We've had more important games, we've had more eventful games and we've had better games but no win felt more inevitable than this.

It was great to beat the Hamsters or hold on to beat Man U, to clinch promotion at Gigg Lane or Swansea or Wembley or the Millennium Stadium or to triumph on Judas' return to Roots Hall but those games were painful to watch with the result in jeopardy until the final whistle was blown. I've been tortured enough over the years. I want a stress free game that was never in doubt all day.

At the Abbey that day it felt like even if we somehow fell 1-0 behind, had a man sent off it would make no difference to the final outcome. No matter what temporary setbacks befell us it wasn't going to stand in the way of yet another three points*. Now that's the feeling I want back.

*As it was we eased to a 2-0 lead by half-time without any alarms and shut the game down second half.

I would go back to March 2019, to warn RM, that he should get Steve Evan in charge, not Bond, things might be different and we would be an solid League One side.

Man U

Chelsea away was a big rush of adrenaline in the 90th minute
Yes both those 2 were truly memorable.We didn’t beat Chelsea however,and while I’ve always hated manure with a vengeance,the winner came quite early on and it was only the League Cup which had begun losing its importance back in the 80s.
My runner-up award goes to Jupps play-off clincher at Cardiff,where we’d twice failed to show up for finals of very little importance.
My most thrilling game,however,is the 1957 FA Cup win over Liverpool,I was quite young at the time.Absolutely classic—very early goal for us,the reds gradually worked their way back into the game and duly equalised and then a fantastic winner 10 long minutes from the end.It was reported that shoppers in the High Street were startled by the sudden roar when Thomson scored.

I'll go back to the first football match I ever went to watch live, and Leo Roget's injury time equaliser against Watford in 95/96. He was absolutely loving it, and I think it was my first ever time in a crowd going wild as well.

So many memorable games to choose from but I'll have to go with February 1976 FA cup away at Derby, just for the atmosphere and the ' away special train journey from the central station

If i could choose any Southend game whether i had seen it before or not i would without doubt choose Southend v Manchester city FA cup way back in the 50s ,played in poring rain etc , Bert Trautmanns finest 90minutes,we lost 1-0 Man city went on to win the FA cup . But choosing a match i saw then it would be Southend V Millwall way back when , Milllwall had a young keeper who went on to play many international matches for his country of birth and play for Man utd in Alex Stepney,we lost 3-1 ,millwall went on to win the league back then ,the atmosphere at Roots Hall that night was electric and i got to see my heroes plat ,Sam McCrory , Roy Hollis and Harry Threadgold.

Back