• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

You won"t better Flavs

wiggy

Darryl's Love Child
O.K he"s not the greatest in the air but if Flavs gets released we have got to get someone in that is dominant in this department and also matches up to Flahavons bravery, distribution and shot stopping. Not very easy, as the tall merchants are not generally as good on the ground. I suggest that before we end up with someone worse the critics should think about the situation and realise that someone like Nicalou is likely to give away far more goals than Flavs,playing at left back. If the complete keeper was out there then he certainly wouldn"t be coming to Roots Hall so lets be thankfull for what we"ve got between the sticks!

My Subbuteo 'keeper commands his box better than Flavs and he's got a rod attached to him!

God what a wit, didn"t come up with anyone more suitable though!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ April 26 2004,10:29)]O.K he"s not the greatest in the air but if Flavs gets released we have got to get someone in that is dominant in this department and also matches up to Flahavons bravery.....
I like the way he bravely stays on his line for corners and free kicks.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mad Cyril @ April 26 2004,10:37)]I like the way he bravely stays on his line for corners and free kicks.
Anyone see that bloke doing the marathon wearing deep sea diving boots.....not quite sure what i'm trying to say....but it'll come to me eventually

Sack the goalkeeping coach then as he obviously couldn"t do a lot with Cumberson, Robinson or Flavs for crosses!

slightly difficult to pick another keeper when you see Flahavan every game but other keepers will maybe make ten appearances at Roots Hall in four years. Consistency seems to be what sets keepers apart and there's no way you can judge this. Flahavan is consistent and it is only really his aerial ability and command of the box that lets him down. I agree with you wiggy to the extent that it would be a big gamble getting someone in.

For instance, one of the best third division keepers according to mates who support Northampton and Oxford, has been Andy Woodman but he was poo when he was playing for us. For this reason, I find it unlikely that he is the best in the division, but he is a good keeper and we should think first to get competition for him before replacing him.

I also appreciate Flav's communication and command of his box. Often the South Lower and Upper have listened on joyously as Flavs once again says after an opposition set-piece "Sorry, lads. But that was your boody fault".

There is clearly nobody better in this dvision.

At last someone that isn't trying to be a comedian and has actually understood the post. Comedians come up with anyone allround better, or still thinking up your next unfunny?

Alan Fettis of Hull would be an excellent start, if you ask me.  Myhill's keeping Fettis out of the side; and Fettis is streets ahead of Flav IMHO.

I'm afraid a lot of goals - for example Yeovil's first - are simply down to Flav's not being tall enough or good enough.

Last time we got promoted out of this division we had a certain Mr. Paul Sansome in goal; so don't tell me that, if we looked hard enough, we couldn't find a better replacement for Flavs in goal.

And whomever suggested that Woodman was no good for us clearly saw different games to me; other than being a tad chunky, Woody's a superior goalie than Flavs.

Matt

Why don't you try expressing an opinion and using fact to back it up.  As opposed to presenting opinion as fact and criticising anyone that disagrees with you, Wiggy.

You started a simiilar thread a while back with much the same responses.  I can only deduce you're not here for healthy debate but simply to antagonise.

This sason, I'd have said that on performances witnessed, the keepers at Doncaster, Mansfield, Oxford, Bury, Hull, Kidderminster, Letyton Orient, Cambridge United, Bristol Rovers, Northampton, Yeovil and Torquay amongst others have been as good as - if not better - than our current custodian.  That's a fair few to choose from, is it not?

Woodman was a poser with limited ability, ask the oxford fans, but you love him because he didn"t stop clapping the fans and throwing you his shirt when he left thank god!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ April 26 2004,10:56)]Woodman was a poser with limited ability!
This from someone talking up Flavs!
laugh.gif

Now I KNOW you're a wind-up merchant!

I think everyone understood the post. I also think there are a few keepers out there better than Flavs.

Boaz Myhill, Alan Fettis, Matt Glennon's done well recently for Carlisle, Andy Warrington, Alan Marriott's a good shot-stopper and well over 6 foot...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ April 26 2004,10:50)]And whomever suggested that Woodman was no good for us clearly saw different games to me; other than being a tad chunky, Woody's a superior goalie than Flavs.
Normally makes a difference with the perspective of the game you have. When Woodman was there, it was in my reckless Lower South days whereas Flahavan has rarely been seen from anywhere other than East or West.

However, when Woodman was in goal, I always felt that something bad was going to happen. In his defence, though, confidence is everything and the amount of stick he got from half the South Lower was very harsh. He was no Prudoe to be fair to him.

Agreed some of these keepers looked o.k. but you"ve included teams like Oxford, where the keeper had nothing to do , both matches so how can you include them in your argument?

Back